Are Utah Glory Days Over?

Utahelk1

Utah Boone and Crocket Elk Entries. 2008 (2)Typical (2)Nontypical, 2007 (6)Typical (4)Nontypical, 2006 (25)Typical (9)Nontypical, 2005 (18)Typical (1)Nontypical, 2004 (12)Typical (3)Nontypical, 2003 (12)Typical (4)Nontypical, 2002 (9) Typical (1)Nontypical, 2001 (2)Typical (0)Nontypical. I know that there might be more reported for 2008 and that not all hunters put their elk in the Book, but there seems to be a downward trend going on now. In other words we are losing it as fast as we gained it.

It takes some time for entries to get in, but I agree that it will show a downward trend.

I think Pope and Young will be down too and they have a lot lower minimums.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-09 AT 01:15PM (MST)[p]I think it's a little premature to diagnos a downward trend after two bad years and not having ALL the results in from 2008. Who know's, next year may peak again like in 2005. 2008 was a bad year due to enviromental factors; i.e. weather, moon cycle.

Just trying to be an optimsit, since I am still waiting to draw!

Yep glory days are gone forever here in Utah if I were you I would put in for Arizona,Nevada, New Mexico,Colorado,Idaho.

I was trying to be optimistic but i have yet to see a trophy bull on the winter range and i have spent a lot of time looking

I'm glad i don't have 10 plus years invested in elk points!!

I do gree with the big bull numbers being low, IMO the late hunt for the bulls did the most damage. On the units I hunted this year and the ones I watch the elk winter, I have noticed a huge difference than 3,4 and 5 years ago.

However, I know of a few big bulls that may qualify or be close to the B&C minimum that were harvested this year that were not even scored and won't be. Plus the new world record elk this year, I think there are plenty of big bulls out there.

I think some people simply don't care about the score and BIG is BIG to them, no matter what other people say or they officially score.

Let's take the Wasatch unit since it's close to home and seems to have more big bulls than anywhere else in the world (atleast that's what I hear...)

These are just early rifle tag numbers-they don't take into count the increases in archery, conservation, antlerless, muzzleloader, or CWMU tags.

2004-86 Tags
2005-76 Tags
2006-114 Tags
2007-144 Tags
2008-180 Tags

And, rumor has it another "large" increase is in store for the Wasatch with the potential shift in spike hunters going someplace else in '09...

Pretty much every unit in the state has seen huge increases in permit numbers the last few years.

Now, that being said I don't think it's all bad. We're moving more people through the system and not everyone needs or wants to shoot a 400" bull, but we're not going to have the number of big bulls we had a few short years ago w/o a huge increase in our elk numbers.

If I had the points to get out and wanted a 350" plus bull I'd be doing it sooner than later.

HEY T.L.!!!

THERE WILL STILL BE SOME BIG BULLS TAKEN WITHIN THE NEXT 2-3 & MAYBE 4 YEARS!!!

MARK MY WORD ON THIS!!!

YOU MAY NOT LIKE TO LISTEN TO THE OLE cat!!!

BUT LISTEN NOW!!!

AFTER THESE NEW LE PISSCUTTER HUNTS TAKE THEIR TOLL ON THE TROPHY UNITS YOUR JAW IS GONNA DROP!!!

YOU THINK YOUR NUMBERS SUCK NOW???

JUST WAIT!!!

TELL YOUR UNCLE NOW IS THE TIME TO BLOW HIS POINTS!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

HEY CUPSY!!!

WE USETADID!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

Hey bobcat somethings got my uncle stirred...because he wrote this post! The computer tech. hacked into my profile..And I thought he was only good with numbers..
I'll help him out..

IF YOU HAD MAX POINTS WHICH ELK HUNT WOULD YOU PUT IN FOR?????

WELL!!!

IF I HAD MAX POINTS!!!

AND I DON'T!!!

I WOULDN'T PUT IN FOR THE UNIT TO THE SOUTH OF US!!!

BUT THATS ME!!!

WHATS BAD IS YOU PUT A LOT OF TIME IN LEARNING A UNIT & THEN THEY SHOOT IT ALMOST OUT!!!

STILL A COUPLE BIG BULLS OUT THERE BUT NOTHING LIKE IT USED TO BE!!!

NOT SAYING YOU COULDN'T PULL A 370"+ BULL OUT OF THERE BUT IT WOULD BE RARE THESE DAYS!!!

THANK THE GOOD OLE GREEDY DWR FOR SLAUGHTERING THAT LE HERD!!!

YOU CAN'T LEARN ANOTHER UNIT IN ONE SEASON EITHER!!!

IT'S A CHOICE ONLY THE GUY WITH MAX POINTS CAN MAKE!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

Increase in LE bull tags, new spike tags, lower age objectives....yep...sadly the downward trend will continue! All the belly-aching about it being tough to draw tags and now the same guys will be belly-aching that the quality of bulls has dropped! Isn't it amazing how quickly things can change?

Like I have been saying all along, if you want dink raghorn bulls come on over to Colo...if Utah is smart they will discontinue their current scheme before it is too late. All that $ and excitement at the expo may be a thing of the past if this continues!

Its a double edged sword, the conservative managment brought about these older age trophys,soon everyone caught big bull fever and the word got out,then they got er done and killed many of them, meanwhile everyone and their brother decides they want one also. A population explosion in the west, the information age, high tec weapons and gadgets, what do you expect? B+C bulls are rare animals

In a word, yes.

Take what Prism wrote and apply that same mentality statewide and this is what we get and where we are headed. I cannot wait to see tags cut to maintain quality with the spike hunts. THAT WONT HAPPEN!

You dont need a 400 behind every tree, but there never was.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Surely those with the facts and attend every one of the DWR's sorry ass meetings know more than I do.

Spend 'em if ya got 'em.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom