Are we dirtbags

John_The_Bastard

4616ja_elk.jpg

Fellow M M's
The picture is of a bull that I killed on a guided pack in hunt in Wyoming this past fall (2013). My twin cousins pictured with me have been my hunting companions for more than 50 years. We began hunting together as kids and I am 67 yrs old and they just had 66th birthdays. Our personal calendars begin and end when we travel West each year from Illinois. We have hunted otc areas and draw areas. The last few years we sometimes purchase vouchers for cow elk in a good area. It allows us a chance to get close and personal with bugling bulls and have great cow hunting. On these cow hunts we shoot muzzleloaders. Our guided hunt in Wyoming cost slightly more than $5000 for the guide service. We are coman working men and find ways to save enough to hunt like we want to. We normally camp and enjoy inexpensive hunts. We thank our lucky stars that we can enjoy Gods green earth as we do. I realize that we are average Joes but are not the average Joe hunter. Here is my question......are we dirtbags?

From what you have said so far, No. But only you know what you do when you are not hunting. Being from Illinois is not helping your dirtbag status. Let me ask you this, have you ever been to PT's?

Nice bull. Who were you hunting with?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-14 AT 01:14PM (MST)[p]
You sound a lot like average Joe hunters to me, Of course the gun looks like its pointed right at you, and your handle is kind of weird

Trophy poachers are what I would call real dirtbags.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-14
>AT 01:14?PM (MST)

>
>
>You sound a lot like average
>Joe hunters to me, Of
>course the gun looks like
>its pointed right at you,
>and your handle is kind
>of weird
>
> Trophy poachers are what
>I would call real dirtbags.
>

***The closed action rifle pointed right at them is the first thing I noticed when I looked at the picture, so if they keep doing that he might have his name changed to dead basstard, LOL!

Hey Topgun
I will assure that the rifle was not loaded I do see what you do looking at the photo. The pictures sometimes distort reality and one thing for sure. I was a bit excited. Gun safety cannot be forgotten

Insufficient evidence to prove you're dirtbags.

Did you vote for Senator Obama from Illinois?

Eel

To some, nope you aren't a dirt bag hunter because you only spent $5000 but to others yes, because you spent $5000. Just hunt legally and live the life you choose which makes your heart feel good while living with a clear conscience and a smile on your face just like you and your buddys have in the picture. But if your answer Eels question with a yes, I may need to rethink my response... :)

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

If you are a dirt bag, I'm a dirt bag. Love your tongue in check handle. Hunt more...kill more, LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

There are a few narrow minded, small pocketed folks that sometimes let their "gold envy" speak for them on this forum. I believe how you spend you're your hard earned coin is nobody else's business!

You and your cousin's are welcome to share my campfire any time.

No, "dirtbag" doesn't seem to fit your description.

You appear to be pretty normal people and just enjoy hunting.
A dirtbag is what goes on a vacuum. You don't fit that description.

I think you're alright, BUT those other two could be, We haven't heard from them yet. LOL
Keeping it real for us older guys.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-14 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]feleno, I'm so disappointed in you, I hardly ever disagree with your assessment. John_the_Bastard and both of the twins certainly are dirtbags.

Genesis 3:19 "for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return"

And that's scientifically valid!

Dust is fine particles of dirt or in other words, elements of the universe. Skin is made up of dust in a moist or liquified/elastic form, it holds the other parts of the_Bastards bodies together and is therefore a bag. The_Bastard and his cousins are then, in every since, dirtbags, holding a larger quantity of dirt. When John dies, like all of the rest of us_Bastards, and the _Bastards cousins, he will return to dry dirt, than back to dust, from whence he came. But for now, he's fricken dirtbag!

So....John, you a dirtbag and a _Bastard, by your own admission. I'll bet your a darn good guy, a dedicated hunter and a loyal friend to go along with it too. Thanks for sharing your story and the picture of a real nice bull elk. I hope you kill three more just like it this fall.

DC

Of course your not dirt bags, neither is Denny Austad or any others who pay for "opportunity".
Keep on keepin on!! :)

If that Gun is Pointed in the Safe Direction,I'd Hate to see.............................................!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

No dirt here. Dirtbagliness is evident only where the steps one takes to ensure his own success tread also upon the toes of others, diminishing their fair chances at same. Nice bull. Great partnership.

Hey Elkass
Seems to me you are a bit hung up on where the gun is pointed. I Owned up to what looks to you as a mistake. I was looking for some meaningful comments and was going to see other points of view. I wasn't lookin to get "picked".
I look for friends instead of foe and usually find what I am looking for!
John The Bastard

Hey Slammer
I don,t know who Denny Austead is. Labeling me and putting me in a sack with him does not serve your purpose as you might think. This is done in court by wannabe lawyers who do not have facts to prove their points. Also, of course, by politicians who equate gun owners with "gun nuts".I take part in what I would call hunting society. I chaired our nwtf chapter for 5 yrs and donate time and money to these type of organizations. It is not a way to make a name for myself but a way to pay it forward. Most of us on this forum are seeking a common feeling of brotherhood bound by something we love.
John The Bastard

Welcome to MM John, I'm also a bastard and a dirthead and assshole. You'll fit in just fine! Congrats on a great bull!

>Hey Slammer
> I
>don,t know who Denny Austead
>is. Labeling me and putting
>me in a sack with
>him does not serve your
>purpose as you might think.
>This is done in court
>by wannabe lawyers who do
>not have facts to prove
>their points. Also, of course,
>by politicians who equate gun
>owners with "gun nuts".I take
>part in what I would
>call hunting society. I chaired
>our nwtf chapter for 5
>yrs and donate time and
>money to these type of
>organizations. It is not a
>way to make a name
>for myself but a way
>to pay it forward. Most
>of us on this forum
>are seeking a common feeling
>of brotherhood bound by something
>we love.
>
> John The Bastard

Slam is trying to give you a compliment. He is also one of the more levelheaded guys on this site. Get to know him before you try to kick him. Although kicking him right know might be a good time since he already has a broke leg. Heck he may be guiding Denny this year.

Hey John_The_Big_Bastard!

The 'Gun Pointing' Post/Comment I made was only because I wanted to be the 1st MM JACK-ASS to Point it out!:D

As Long as you Ain't got it Pointed at me(Rather it's Loaded or Not Loaded!)We'll be OK!

What's up with the Handle?

You A Bastard Child or what?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Mr Elkassassin,
Thanks for the personal reply. This photo was taken on a steep hill and I believe the rifle actually does not point at the hunters. Pointing out safety issues is important and I tip my hat to you for doing it. It also segways into a way to explain my moniker. I am often pretty blunt in stating my thoughts. I don,t mince my words as much as many. Maybe I think a little more black and white than in shades. Some people see me as being a bit of a Southern "bastard". I believe that if our camps were adjacent we would find ourselves sharing the evening fire and have a friendly conversation while standing our own ground and find ourselves.....FRIENDS!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-14 AT 11:02PM (MST)[p]Thanks for backing me up mulecreek, he's an idiot.
Here I was sticking up for him and he kicks me in the shin when I was simply supporting him 100%.
So.....i guess I retract my statement......yes, you are "dirtbags"

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-14
>AT 05:35?PM (MST)

>
>feleno, I'm so disappointed in you,
>I hardly ever disagree with
>your assessment. John_the_Bastard and
>both of the twins certainly
>are dirtbags.
>
>Genesis 3:19 "for dust thou art,
>and unto dust shalt thou
>return"
>
>And that's scientifically valid!
>
>Dust is fine particles of dirt
>or in other words, elements
>of the universe. Skin
>is made up of dust
>in a moist or liquified/elastic
>form, it holds the other
>parts of the_Bastards bodies together
>and is therefore a bag.
> The_Bastard and his cousins
>are then, in every since,
> dirtbags, holding a larger
>quantity of dirt. When
>John dies, like all of
>the rest of us_Bastards, and
>the _Bastards cousins, he will
>return to dry dirt, than
>back to dust, from whence
>he came. But for
>now, he's fricken dirtbag!

LMAO! This had me literally rolling on the floor!!! The last thing on here to make me laugh that hard was the duck call.

John, in one sense you are a dirt bag (see above) but in the case of your question, you are not a dirt bag. Welcome.

Hey Slammer
Looks like slammer would well describe you. You like the name calling. I,m an idiot and a dirtbag and you can decide this after reading 3 or 4 sentences of my words. I honestly did not mean to get this far under your skin. I will try to stand up for my viewpoint without resorting to namecalling.
I simply was looking for comments on the average hunters thoughts towards someone who saves a few bucks for a once or twice in a lifetime guided hunt or who ponys up for a cow voucher instead of an over the counter tag joining the sea of orange.
I would rather be friend than foe but will stand my ground if picked. Count this as an apology if you want....I look at it as my say of saying we can get along without agreeing.
John the bastard

Listen JTB.....YOU are the one who attacked me based on my own "3 or 4 sentences" (which was really only 2) that you instantly dissected as negativity towards your original post. So get off your self righteous, poor picked on me attitude and identify your own faults as the source of your attitude!
You are not off to a very good start on this forum, you obviously show zero respect for anyone and you'd rather throw punches before you figure out what the poster is even trying to say to you. I have defended people like you (people who pay for hunts and guides) for 20 freaking years on here and that is exactly what I was doing for you.

Back on track! Nope, you're not dirtbags! You're just being an average joe hunter and not advocating a trophy-at-all-costs attitude and attempting to impose that attitude on others by changing the rules.

>Interesting way to join MM. mtmuley
>
There's an obvious chip on a shoulder for one reason or another.
It reminds me of the stray dog begging for food, then he bites you for sticking your hand out offering food.

Asking if he's a dirtbag for hiring a guide, then hammering a guide is different. Some dirtbags hire guides, some don't. Hey Slam, I'm gonna be back in Swan Valley in a week or so. Probably gonna have to watch the SB at the Roadhouse by Rainey Creek. Hunting any wolves? mtmuley

>Asking if he's a dirtbag for
>hiring a guide, then hammering
>a guide is different. Some
>dirtbags hire guides, some don't.
>Hey Slam, I'm gonna be
>back in Swan Valley in
>a week or so. Probably
>gonna have to watch the
>SB at the Roadhouse by
>Rainey Creek. Hunting any wolves?
>mtmuley

Heck I'll be lucky to even get down my own stairs to watch it on my big tv! Lol

Nope not a dirtbag! Love the handle. Gives all the turtleheads something to cry about.

Take it easy you guys. No harm was meant towards the original poster. He just took the comment wrong. Both of you, please stop.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

>Insufficient evidence to prove you're dirtbags.
>
>
>Did you vote for Senator Obama
>from Illinois?
>
>Eel

thats the true test.

>Take it easy you guys. No
>harm was meant towards the
>original poster. He just took
>the comment wrong. Both of
>you, please stop.
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!
>I need a friend....

Now ya all got Dad involved, lol :)

>>Take it easy you guys. No
>>harm was meant towards the
>>original poster. He just took
>>the comment wrong. Both of
>>you, please stop.
>>
>>Brian Latturner
>>MonsterMuleys.com
>>Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!
>>I need a friend....
>
>
>Now ya all got Dad involved,
>lol :)

Ya!

And the Options are Slim!

An MM SPANKIN!

Or a Mandatory Trip to the ClubHouse!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-14 AT 07:17AM (MST)[p]LOL! Good one Bobc........I mean elkassassin.

Just trying to save you from a trip to the clubhouse.:)

Eel

Hello Boys
I have been at cuz's house for a few days doe hunting. A little time to think. If anyone was out of line here it was me. John The Bastard took things a little too seriously. A good humbling is sometimes good for the soul. I will take my Dutch Rubbing and hopefully still be welcome if I keep my head. Thanks founder for a good sense of reasoning.
John The Bastard

I guess I have been away for too long. I missed this thread.

After reading everything, I would have to assume that John thought that he might be part of the average Joes. In a way we all are, the fact we want to hunt. Where the line starts to get drawn is where the amount of respect that is put toward the hunting grounds and the animals. The best thing said so far is: "I simply was looking for comments on the average hunters thoughts towards someone who saves a few bucks for a once or twice in a lifetime guided hunt or who ponies up for a cow voucher instead of an over the counter tag joining the sea of orange." The "sea of orange" is the average Joe and I get sea sick real fast!!!

Are you a dirtbag? I didn't read anywhere where you thought that it was your right to hunt and harvest every year, but you were willing to wait for a good hunt. For that, you are no dirtbag in my eyes. And the fact that you can still get around on some steep terrain at your age.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

You can always tell when it's the off season on MM!

John_the_bastard - best handle I've seen on this site in 10 years! Cracked me up. Even ruffled feathers of some of the Warren Jeffs lovers on here. You're welcome at my campfire anytime.

LBR

When I first look at your post I thought you were talking about the Elk hitting the ground/dirt. As I read your post you've work hard to get to do what you want to do nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it while you can.

John,

You're 67 and you get on the internet to ask what people think about you? I wouldn't call you a dirt bag. Super Sad maybe, but not a dirt bag.

Hello Smellybuck,
For several years I have read the posts here. I have many times read about hunters being dissed for various reasons like buying vouchers or spending money on guide services. I guess I do give a damn about how fellow hunters-sportsmen think about men like myself. I got lots of comments from others. The negative ones mostly came when I stuck my size 11's in my mouth. Yesterday was our last day to hunt deer here in Illinois and we do not hunt turkeys til April. I guess I am looking for entertainment and a little of others perspectives. In the past I have sought information here under a different moniker and was always blessed with good advice and help. Are you a Psychiatrist?
John The Bastard

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-14 AT 09:51AM (MST)[p]Very well. No I'm not a shrink so there is no fee. Can you share any whitetail photos from Illinois?

"John the Bastard"

I honestly don't see the purpose of starting this post in the first place? Asking this site for their personal opinion about your character is almost 99.9% of the time not going to go the way you want it. You should know in your heart whether you are a "dirtbag" or not. If you need some one to pat you on the back and tell you good job this isn't the place.. I know from experience. Personally i don't see how you can even raise the question on whether or not you are a dirtbag?? Youre a hunter whom had the dream of coming out west and experiencing a quality elk hunt. I've been guiding guys like yourself year in and year out since I was 18 years old and very few of them I've ever been able to label as "dirtbags." Most of them are down to earth, hard working guys that at the end of a week of hunting I can call my friends and had the pleasure of sharing a camp and time on the mountain with. Keep doing what your doing and keep enjoying what you do. Don't let a bunch of keyboard warriors make you feel any different about that.

Coloradoboy

Welcome to MM - looks like you have had a heck of an orientation, which proves that you are just as big of a dirtbag as the rest of us!

As far as your hunting habits are concerned - if you have the money, spend it. What you are doing is both ethical and legal and even if it rankles some people, they can get over it.

Don't worry about Slamdunk - he is just a little testy right now as he is nursing his leg back to health. I blame it on the lack of sore legs - you see, the heavy leg days in the gym keep him humble! LOL. He is a good guy - you two just crossed swords, next time though, save that kind of thing for the Clubhouse!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom