Area 10 Biologist?

BaldBeaver

Could someone tell me who the Biologist is for area 10. And where I may find his or her contact information?

~Jason Peterson
Mossy Oak ProStaff

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

I dont know who has area 10 but im sure they are in the Elko office. Just give them a call and they will get you to the right person. You can find the office number in the phone book.

Call the ELKO office and ask for the name of the Bio and also the GW for Unit 10, they will give you the name and numbers as well. 1-775-777-2300
I had the list of GW's but can not find it right now, might have chucked it with old papers.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

It was tony wasley a few years ago but hes now working out of reno or carson city.If i we you I would try and get a hold of him even though hes not the current biolagist there now.

>It was tony wasley a few
>years ago but hes now
>working out of reno or
>carson city.If i we you
>I would try and get
>a hold of him even
>though hes not the current
>biolagist there now.

Couldent agree more!!

the bio is kaleb Mcadoo- 777-2323.

"Close the gate behind you and leave things better than you found them."

Caleb never returned any of my calls last couple of years, so maybe the other guy mentioned would be a better option, good luck!
flyingspear

>Caleb never returned any of my
>calls last couple of years,
> so maybe the other
>guy mentioned would be a
>better option, good luck!
>flyingspear

Flyingspear,

This is Caleb McAdoo, the Area 10 biologist for NDOW. A friend of mine told me about your post, so I wanted to make sure I addressed your post. I saw your message stating that I hadn't returned any of your calls over the last two years and was quite concerned. I literally recieve hundreds (if not more) of phone calls each year about hunters who are lucky enough to draw a coveted Nevada tag and I try to answer or return all of the phone calls I recieve.

I am terribly sorry if you slipped through the cracks and would be happy to talk to you or any others anytime. You can always email me too.

Regards,

Caleb K. McAdoo
775-777-2323

Caleb,
Out of all the bios in NV, I am sure you get the most phone calls. With the number of tags issued this year you are going to be extremely busy! While I've got you on the hook I would love to hear an explanation for the number of tags given out this year in 10. And one other, what main factor do you attribute the decline in the Ruby deer herd too? Urban sprawl and winter range fires being minimal, is it lions, coyotes, or something else. I can say this, last year while hunting 10 in October on two different occasions I saw packs of coyotes chasing deer at or just below the crest of the range. Some of the largest coyotes I've seen and they hunted the deer like a pack of wolves...relentless, it was a sight to see!
Thanks for your time,
Spear

Thank you, Caleb for getting on here and making yourself available. I never apply in 10, but I still appreciate a man that takes his job seriously and tries to do it well.

Called Caleb today. Left a message an got a call back in roughly an hour, if that. Thanks caleb for the sound info. It will not go unused...if and when needed.

~Jason Peterson
Mossy Oak ProStaff

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

Caleb is a great guy and we are lucky to have him as a biologist for this state. I was very fortunate to meet him last summer and spend some time with him because he ended up buying my wife's horse from us for work. He spends a lot of time up in the rubies and has been sending me some greats photos this summer of him and the horse.

after calling everyday for over 3 weeks for unit 7 the biodudette just called me back this morning...and I missed the call...did chat 10 min later so if ya getting through god bless...
good luck everyone!

>Caleb,
>Out of all the bios in
>NV, I am sure
>you get the most phone
>calls. With the number
>of tags issued this year
>you are going to be
>extremely busy! While I've
>got you on the hook
>I would love to hear
>an explanation for the number
>of tags given out this
>year in 10.
>And one other, what
>main factor do you attribute
>the decline in the Ruby
>deer herd too?
>Urban sprawl and winter range
>fires being minimal, is
>it lions, coyotes, or something
>else. I
>can say this, last
>year while hunting 10 in
>October on two different occasions
>I saw packs of coyotes
>chasing deer at or just
>below the crest of the
>range. Some of the
>largest coyotes I've seen and
>they hunted the deer like
>a pack of wolves...relentless,
>it was a sight to
>see!
>Thanks for your time,
>Spear

Flying Spear,

I would love to chat with you on the phone. I don't like to delve into online forums, as I think this is YOUR avenue to express your thoughts and talk amongst other sportsmen and women. As a ourtesy to you I will provide brief explanations to your questions. I only initially posted because I wanted to appologize to you if you hadn't recieved any returned phone calls and don't intend to frequent this forum.

The 2-second summary to your first question is that NDOW manages by buck ratio and we target a post season buck ratio of 30 bucks: 100 does. It is an extremely conservative approach. The post season buck ratio last fall (which drives this year's pre-hunt buck ratio) was 33bucks:100does (derived from a sample size of 6,629 deer), which doesnt include production. Based on our hunter success and othetr factors, we issue tags to bring that buck ratio down to our target of 30. Like I said, feel free to call and I would be happy to explain this to you in more detail.

With regards to your second question, When you refer to a decline, I am assuming you are referring to the published estimate for Area 10 in 1988? There is no doubt in my mind that there were more deer then, than now; however,the area 10 deer herd has been on an upward trend since the winter of 1992-1993. The published estimates for area 10 in much of the 1970's were far less than they are now.

There are alot of factors which influence population dynamics and I am open to investigating and aknowldeging all of them (including predation, hbaitat, disease,fences, mining, urban sprawl, etc.) With regards to predation, NDOW (through cooperation with Wildlife Services)conducted a predator removal project in the East Humboldt Range (unit 101)for five years. The cost was huge. During that project, between 2,500 and 2,750 coyotes were lethally removed and 12 lions were removed as part of this project. The project wasn't perfect, but the bottomline is that a lot of predators were removed. We analyzed fawn recruitment during and after the predator removal and saw no significant inclrease.

I bring this up for two resons:
1. It is not as simple as kill all of the coyotes and lions to increase numbers.
2. Some seem to think that NDOW ignores predation - we don't.

Looking at my notes,I have 26 hunter calls to return since Friday, so I better get after it.

Please call when you have time.

Regards,

Caleb

Atta boy, Caleb! Welcome aboard MM. Glad you are "out there" in Area 10! Hope the herd of deer on your "watch" are doing ok. I especially hear stories about Harrison Pass during rut or late November can be pretty amazing to see when the deer are migrating. Thanks for posting.

Hey Caleb,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I struggle to accept the huge increase in tags this year, and look forward to speaking with you concerning this matter. I will call you after the season when things are quieter.
FlyingspearNV

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom