Area 10 late deer

My Dad and I finally get to hunt Nevada. After burning 10 pts. We want to make it count. Maps of the area are on order. Should we use our horses or 4x4s? I know the weather and crouds are a big factor in the late hunt. We have never been in area 10. Scouting is not possible except for a few days prior to opener. All info is greatly appreciated.

Can't take ATVs very far in due to it being a wilderness area, if you are looking at doing the Rubys extensively.

If you were me you would go it on foot, until you got something down, But you are not me! Good luck, Shoot straight, and compensate the best you can. Please share at the end of the hunt.
Good or bad!

for me. I would leap frog on foot until I found something I liked than go from there. That is just the way I have learned. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-13 AT 04:05AM (MST)[p]This might help you get an idea of the area(along with a map)Well worth the read.I have been hunting in area 10 a few times,and wish I had read this before I went.The area these gals hiked thru seems to be one of the most productive areas.http://www.rubymountains.net edit 6/3/13 I fixed the link.The website has been thru some changes in the last yr or so and is kind of clunky now.Well worth the read.When I was there in late Oct of 2012,we were camped out at Harrison Pass.My brother nailed a buck during the 1st hr we went out(unbelievable luck,I know)and the rest of the time I spent chasing my tail trying to fill a doe tag.After a couple of days the weather set in with light rain followed by snow followed by FOG!Fog is not friend of a hunter.Rain and snow I welcome and can deal with.When the fog rolls in and stays,the best course is to head to the bar,enjoy a belt and head back to camp.On the day after this experience we headed up to Angel Lake with the intention of hiking to Greys Lake.It was a great trip but no deer were to be seen and the 40mph winds along with freezing temps put a damper on our enthusiasm.

Hi, thanks for the info. The link gives me a better layout of the area and more or less what to expect. Sounds like you had a tough hunt. If anybody else has some info, feel free to PM me.

I had the ML tag in '10. It was a brutal hunt. We saw 2 legal bucks in 5 days...hunted around Angel Lake and Angel Creek, Lizzies Basin and hiked out to Greys Lake with no success. My Dad and I both came back with unfilled tags. We hiked for miles and miles. It was very frustrating. We should have hiked in to the higher ground. If I ever had a 10 tag again, I'd always have a plan in place to hike in and stay in the high stuff until my tag was filled if need be. I waited 7 years to draw in Nevada and I was very disappointed. Luckily, Nevada made it up to me and my 12 year old son this year. We drew 192 with only my 2 points. It's payback time! Good luck on your hunt.
I had researched the Ruby Trail and was thinking of hiking in several miles but was told I didn't need to go to that much trouble...that I'd find deer elsewhere. :(

M'Balz Es Hari

You guys make me laugh, If there is too much snow for horses, might there then be too much for deer?

The hope is that the snow level is down to 6000 feet before I leave from home. Then I don't have to drag the horses with me, but I usually don't have that kind of luck.

Last year 10 late was warm. No snow anywhere. Don't rely on that being a factor. Some reason very few deer were up high. Best to get there a couple days early and do some glassing.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom