Area 7 buck

htnfool

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-10 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-10 AT 02:59?PM (MST)

Hey guys,

Got this nice guy at 20 yards. Great stalk and one heck of a hot day. Nothing better than when a stalk comes together. Never did put a stalk on the ones I had prescouted. No matter. This one was worth the trip.

5447rsz_nevada_archery_buck_2010_049.jpg

Good luck to all you stick flingers.

Just scored him, he is 27" wide, has a 4 x 6 frame, went 180 6/8, sweet.

Wow, Thats a real nice buck. Congrats. Can we get more info? how wide? points? more pics?

Thats an awesome buck!
I have an early rifle tag for unit 7. More excited seeing that buck now! Ive never hunted it before and dont know much about the unit but that buck definitely gets my blood pumping!

One heck of a deer!

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Great shot placement! Was he bedded down, if so, how long did you have to wait? I only ask because once I had to wait over 2 hours -- that's a long time when your heart's beating 180 BPM! Awesome buck -- congrats!

N2chuckar,

The quick version;

I watched him bed, but had to back out of that spot and go around him to make the stalk due to the wind. It took me 2 hours to get around him. I was actually sneaking up to a tree about 90 yards above his morning bed thinking he would get up and move when the sun got to him. He did exactly like I thought. Except I hadn't got to the tree yet, I was 15 feet away from it coming up from the other side. I was standing in the open, nothing over a foot tall, with my bow on my hip when I looked up to make the next step and there he was 20 yards away coming up the hill feeding on the other side of the tree I was heading for. Talk about timing. I had no cover at all, but I was able to kneel down, get my bow in front of me, knock an arrow. All this in full view of him. Talk about shaking. I was sure I had blown it. I mean really, what are the odds you can pull this off against a mature buck at this range with the cards stacked in his favor. I just got lucky. He looked hard at me once while I was moving my bow in front of me. This caused me to freeze for a minute before he went back to feeding. Then one of his buddies came up from behind him, walked under this tree and took a hard look at me. That's 7 yards from me. He didn't find me to interesting and put his head down to smell the area he was about to bed in. I came to full draw and put that arrow between his neck and front shoulder. It was no more than 20 yards max. He was quartering toward me( we have been taught to not take that shot) but frankly there is a nice opening there that you can get great penetration on if you hit it. Make sure you miss that front shoulder bone or you got trouble. I started laughing as soon as I knew I hit him. I couldn't believe I pulled that one off. THe arrow head is just starting to stick out behind the front shoulder there, you can probably tell where that is.

Good luck to everybody this year, may you be as fortunate as I have been.

Post those pics!

Scott, i said it once and i will say it again you are the man! what a nice BUCK, that's not easy in the hot sun and dry conditions. I will call you in a few days to get the full story. congrats!

Dean

Awesome buck......big time congratulations. Thanks for sharing it with us here.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom