Arizona Antelope Unit 10 Rifle

972Elk

I got lucky and drew this tag as a non-resident. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I need to find out what maps to order and a decent place to camp. Do I need a quad? I'll be pulling a small trailer. Is there a meat locker/ butcher close by? Will I be in the area where the archery elk hunters will be scouting? Thanks...Jim

How many points did you have? I've never hunted this unit for goats, but have seen a few nice bucks running around! You don't have to have a quad for this unit, it's fairly flat and open, but if you choose to it wouldn't be a bad idea. There's Coconino Game processing on the east side of Flagstaff on the cosinino exit, or Casey's on the east side as well in Doney Park. There may be a few archery elk hunters out scouting, but most won't be out in the antelope country you'll be looking at! Congrats on the tag and let us know how you do, should be a fun hunt!

You can't use ATV on the Boquillias Ranch, the big ranch that allows public hunting access and is where most of the antelope hunting likelt will be. For sure, you don't need an ATV on that hunt.

Call the AZGFD and order their unit 10 map. It's the best hunting map of the area, the only one you need.

You can camp pretty much anywhere that looks like a camp, no water. Old fashioned primitive camping. I doubt you will have conflict with elk hunters. There are pockets of elk and antelope everywhere, but don't worry about it.

Have fun...

Great Tag,good chance for a "Booner".Be prepared for Long Shots,past 300 yds ??? Those "Lopes" are the wildest you will ever hunt,running at a mile if they see a vehicle !!!!!!!!!!Good Luck, Bruce & SilverGrand

Thanks for all the great information. I really appreciate it. It shoud be a fun hunt and a great experience.

I had 11 points, 9 bonus points, 1 loyality and 1 hunters ed. point.

That's awesome you drew with only 11 pts! I'm still curious as to how being a non-res you can draw without being in the max pt pool for goats?

Mike, the way I understood it was that nr got up to 7tags of the 70. 1 tag went to max and there were 6 random tags for nr....fow whatever reason, I got extremely lucky and drew...I was still in disbelief until I got the tag...After looking at the stats, this was like drawing a sheep tag...

Look at the point tables The top sheep and antelope pools are heavily weighted resident. So, the 10% cap won't fill in the max points round. Deer and elk are heavily weighted nonresident, so the better hunts are almost a true preference drae for nonresidents. A 50:50 or better nonresident to nonresident ratio in the upper pool is likely to fill the nonresident 10% cap in the max points round. The more heavily weighted nonresident, the less likely tags will escape that round.

Most nonresident antelope tags make it to the regular draw.

Congrats on your tag. Like mentioned earlier, the G&F has the best all around general map available. This is a huge unit that has antelope found throughout. Be careful if you bring a ATV or UTV, you cant use them everywhere.

Get on www.ceioutdoors.com and spend the $10 or whatever to get the "outdoorsmans resource guide". It will probably help you out a little.

Don't be afraid to look at some non-traditional antelope country. You may find a few bucks that have not been hunted much.

Good luck, and we'll be waiting for some pics...

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

Wow! I have 12 NR points and thought I'd never have a chance at the unit. Glad to hear I do! I have a NR friend that has hunted pronghorn in AZ three times in the last 12 years! Unit 10, 19a and 5b.

"You can't use ATV on the Boquillias Ranch, the big ranch that allows public hunting access and is where most of the antelope hunting likelt will be. For sure, you don't need an ATV on that hunt."

Don't think that is true as of very recently. Had a couple buddies up there a few weeks ago and they said the ATV restrictions have been lifted off the Boquillas......

Thanks again for the information and responses...I sent off for my maps and got the # for the local Game Warden/Biologist.

bwht4x4...Yes, you definately have a chance..Good luck to you...Jim

Congrats on that tag. It is an awesome hunt and worth the wait. Be sure to make the most of it. My brother and I hunted that hunt last year(we had max points as residents). We went with Pronghorn guide service and killed 87 and 86 inch bucks. If you are going DIY then I would encourage you to visit pronghorn guide services website www.pronghornguideservice.com They have two dvds available that will help you in judging antelope; they are called size is everything. Since you are a non resident and may not have much time to scout, they offer very affordable scouting packages considering the fuel prices these days. Good luck on your hunt.

Michael

Michael,

T hanks for the information. I have bought both of their dvd's. I didn't know about the scouting. I am planing on hunting the entire season.

Congrats on your success. Would you mind posting a couple photos of your trophies....Jim

If I were you I would plan on being in the unit scouting 3-4 days before the hunt starts. Typically the best bucks in the unit will have hunters on them opening day. Most of the good bucks will be killed in the first couple of days. I killed my buck the first day and my brother killed his the second day. So scouting and knowing which buck you are going after opening morning is almost a must. Make sure to have a couple good back up bucks as well. We were on my buck at first light, but so was another guide and hunter, luckily he missed 3 times. Like was mentioned above be ready to shoot 300 plus yards. I shot mine at 450 yards and that was as close as we could get after about 7 stalks. My brother shot his at 425. Anyway here are our bucks from last year.

2276michaelantelope.jpg

4620robertantelope.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom