Arizona's Wildlife Water Maps???

alamojoe

Anyone have this book, if so is it worth the $35 G&F is asking for it???? I did a google search and only found a few old threads on other sites. What I found was from back in 2008-2009 most reviews were poor, maps not accurite ect.

I dont mind spending the money if its a worthwhile book it is listed here "http://www.azgfd.gov/i_e/pubs/publications.shtml"

The maps are not to scale, but if you use a good map and the distance measurements from the book, it will take right to the water catchments. The book is also out of date. The are many more waters in areas I hunt than are in the book. If you are looking for water sources in an area of which you have no knowledge, its a good starting point. Nothing beats boots on the ground.

SB is right about not to scale.... The maps are for AZGFD waters only. There are other waters from BLM and USFS that are out there but they will not be on the AZGFD map. I think it is worth the $35 it costs.... Try getting waters from USFS or BLM... good luck..I have tried and it seems no one knows what I am talking about....

Just bought the book myself for my archery hunt. Maps aren't bad, they give good road distances and locations. The downside was there are only three water sources in the large unit I drew. PM me and I wil tell you what to expect as water sources in your unit.

Not sure I should post this on an open forum, but all G&F owned water catchments are available in GIS data layers for free...I just received them two weeks ago for a project....

.... Try getting
>waters from USFS or BLM...
>good luck..
>

+1 and I can speak a little to this point. I hunt and have hunted the Kaibab archery hunt for many years. Several of the trick tanks I hunt around have been inoperable for years. I reported them to G&F & USFS in person, while on hunts, and nothing was ever resolved.

So, a few months back I contacted the G&F region manager and he said some are ours, some are USFS...the ones I reported must have been under USFS care. So I contacted the USFS via their Kaibab NF website and asked if I could get a list of the water sources they were responsible for...I wanted to know which party to report issues to. The reply was from the individual who is responsible for ALL water sources on the North Kaibab...they won't tell the public which ones they are responsible for in terms of servicing (i.e. might give out location), but I could email him anytime and he would notify the appropriate party.

JB

Typical government response. They dont like hunters. They wont tell the public where public water sources are? On public ground? Can they legally do this!!??

I doubt its legal for them to deny information. I'd be willing to bet the Freedom of Information Act would get you what you want.

Just a quick note. In Forests where the new Travel Management rules are going onto affect many of the roads to those tanks will be closed to vehicle travel.
Steve

That is by design. There are a few 'intended cosequences' included with the TMP. The USFS has a plan, it will take years to implement, but it doesn't include hunters, campers, ranchers or loggers! The forests' of tomorrow will be much different for our grandchildren.

There are three things at the top of the priority list of the Forest Service that is applied to every issue or project.
1) REGULATE 2) REGULATE 3) R E G U L A T E !

A bad day hunting still beats working!

Not to scale and many times it can even be considered misleading......however the book has helped me find many waters that I would not have found without it so it has been usefull to me over the years.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom