Arrow Options

FullCurlHunter

What is the actual procedure for dipped arrows and wraps in terms to the step by step process used in getting them on the arrow?

Are wraps slipped on with the vanes already on and then shrunk by heat? Are dipped arrows dipped in paint and then you glue the vanes on? (These may be silly questions but I have always used arrows with vanes glued directly on the shaft...)

How much more weight does this add to the arrow on average in each case?

I have also noticed a lot of well known bowhunters going to smaller vanes like 3" to 3.5" vanes rather than the old 5" vanes. Any reason for this, I know smaller vanes are popular with target archers?

Well you asked a lot in that little paragraph. Dipping arrows involving jsut that dipping the unfletched arrows in a paint then after it dries you fletch them up. this will only add 1-4 grains to the arrow depending on length of the dip. some arrow wraps come as you explained as a shrink wrap system with vanes already attached which will add 5-10 grains depending on the length. Then you have the plain acrylic wraps that are sticky and you roll the wrap around the arrow, then you clue your vanes on top of that. I really like the acrylic wraps because they really help your vanes stick but if you do have a vane come off it is a pain to scrap the glue off and put another vane on without it looking bad. The other down side is the wraps will run you 50 cents to $1.50 per arrow.

Now as far as vane length goes I use to shoot a arrow with 3 3.6 inch vanes and had good results. I now shoot an arrow with 4 2.5 inch vanes and really like it so far. One reason you can use shorter vanes nowadays is because bows tune better, release aids give you better form, broadheads are smaller and more aerodynamic or mechanical, and some vanes are built to utilize there small size better. i.e. blazer vanes.

I hope I didn't cause to much more mystery into the question but that is what happens in archery. to much to learn and try in too short of a time.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

alpine's got some good advice there. Dipping involves paint, some wraps are made with vanes attached and once heated "shrink" onto the shaft, and standard wraps roll onto the shaft. Just like he said, I prefer the standard wraps. Simple to roll onto your shaft then just fletch right onto them. They do however add a bit more weight than alpine noted. Most standard wraps weigh in around 8 grains, depending on length. I would guess that since most vanes weigh 5-10 grains each (depending on length) that the pre-fletched (so-to-speak) wraps come in somewhere around 30 grains total. As far as paint dipping goes, I have no idea. alpine says 1-4 grains and that could be right on!

What purpose does dipping or wrapping provide? Any substantial benefits to offset the additional weight issued compared to vanes glued right on the shaft?

You got it jamaro...at times it can make fletching a bit easier as well, glueing to a wrap rather than straight to the shaft.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom