Average Hunter (American Rights) rights/survey??

hunterjmj

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-08 AT 07:24PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-08 AT 07:19?PM (MST)

I have some questions for most of you and will probably be touchy for some. I live in eastern Oregon former resident of Alaska. I lived there for the soul purpose of hunting sheep. I live in Oregon now because of family. I often wish of going back and hunting sheep but is impossible due to the laws restricting me to hire a guide I cannot afford. My question to you guys is why can't I (average joe american) hunt sheep, goats,and or brown bear on federally owned property we pay taxes for? I have the same thoughts about Wyoming wilderness hunting. Whats the differance between hunting or just going on a non-guided wilderness hiking trip? I'm not one to complain, but some of this big game exploitation has got out of hand. I believe if things are to continue on this path the average hunter will not be able to hunt any game animal without severe restriction and fees. How will this impact the future of hunting for our children and grandchildren??
What is hunting coming to? Guided only for all species in your own state???
When will Alaska be guided only for all species including fish?
What is stopping Wyoming or any state from keeping you from hunting any public land because your not a resident??
How many Access and Habitat(OR) tags are we going allocate before we severly limit general hunter tags??

These are serious questions that need to be answered sooner than later. I know they might sound extreme now but what about 20-30 years from now.
I just want to hunt without having to hire a guide.
What are your thoughts and feelings?

Jeremiah

I think that law is for the average joe keeping them out of trouble because the looks of it on tv its pretty rugged. No room for errors with alot of places to make them.

it has noting to do with safety, it has nothing to do with their concern for anything other than the maximum amount of money from a nonresidents pocket into the states economy.....plain and simple.....all states would do it if they could.

Screw your rights......that ain't any politicians agenda.

JB

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-08 AT 10:46PM (MST)[p]
Quote by: justr_86

I think that law is for the average joe keeping them out of trouble because the looks of it on tv its pretty rugged. No room for errors with alot of places to make them.

You really believe what you stated?

In Alaska you can legally hike, fish, hunt small game,
and hunt certain Big game like Caribou, Moose Black bear with out a guide.

But this is ok because the area one would hunt these animals in is not considered rugged, remote or dangerous?

The law is there to bring revenue to outfitters and guides period!!!

It was that much of a concern for everyones saftey all people would be required to have a guide.

Anyone who is out hiking, fishing or hunting remote country can get just as lost or hurt or make an error that threatens their life and puts the people attempting rescue at just as much risk as some one who is hunting brown bears or hunting sheep, Mt Goats in remote areas.

What ever, I do stongly aggree with a state having the right to enforce their own game laws and manage wildlife with in their state how they see fit.

I have hunted Alaska for Grizzly, Moose and Caribou and have been both guided and unguided. Just by having a guide does not mean I wont get hurt or lost or put in a dangerous situation. Why am I so sure of this because it frickin happened with a guide no less!!!

scan0012.jpg

scan0004-3.jpg

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

I lived in Alaska for 4 years and hunted and killed both goat and sheep. When I killed the goat I was a non resident in 1974 and non residents were not required to have a guide until around 1990. I agree that non residents should not have to have a guide but the game populations in Alaska can not take the increase in hunter numbers and still sell over the counter tags. I do think in some areas that grizzly bears could take the pressure and an increase in harvest would help the moose population.

I think that Alaska should allow a number of non resident goat and sheep tags via drawing and the tag owner should be able to choose if they want a guided hunt. My opinion of guides and outfitters is less than what most have of lawyers

I lived in my home state of Montana. Currently I have a bear tag, unlimited sheep tag, either sex elk tag and a cow elk tag, buck deer tag with the option of purchasing 7 additional doe tags, and a either sex antelope tag and 2 addition doe tags. If we can require that non residents doesn't have to have a guide in Alaska are we going to have a federal hunting license. Would one day all licenses are issued federally and all of America pays the same and have the same chances in the draw. No.

I can not think how living in AZ, NV, UT or OR and needing 5 to 12 points to draw a antelope license would be hunting. Every year that I have lived in Montana I have always had an antelope tag. Or not having a general elk tag and a 5 week rifle season to hunt elk.

There are to many people for a limited amount of game. Now if a person wants to hunt without a guide, year long season, and no limit on the number of amimals taken -- go to New Zealand. It's not that hard and not that expensive.

I agree great white hunter with the states right to regulate game laws.
I guess to sum up what I'm saying is that I think everyone should have equal right to hunt where he/she wants. There maybe limited entry/draws or what-have-you, but at least everyone has the opportunity to hunt what and where they'd like.

Thirty years ago today I kill my ram in the Brooks Range -- how time has traveled. I paid $250 for the charter into the Brooks for myself and cousin -- how time has changed. Back then the cost of a guided sheep hunt is what the charter per person costs today. Just a memory.

I really dont see how it has got to this point. especially
with the Wyoming wilderness situation, and even in AK. These
are Federal lands that everyone can use (hikers, campers, fishermen, naturalists, tree huggers, scientists, freaks,
weirdo's) EXCEPT HUNTERS. This is EXCLUSION. TIME TO TAKE NAMES,
RAISE HELL AND THROW ROCKS!!!!!! I do not apply in Wyoming
for this very reason. Who decided I cant go into a wilderness
area on Federal land on a camping trip with a rifle and a
deer/elk tag in my pocket? The NRA, SCI, GSCO, FNAWS, RMEF
and even Ted Nugent should be all over this like the proverbial
flies on the pile of exactly what this is.

I'm afraid my 4 yr. old son may never be able to experience
the great hunting heritage.

there are a lot of changes in the big game hunting world and most of them are caused by population increases and technology, its sad to see, but thats the way it is, theres no going back, Many areas I have hunted in the past I will never hunt again, either because their too hard to draw or the habitat is gone or ruined by roads and easy access, I live in Wyoming and am glad for the nonresident law because without it all the big game areas would be overrun with obsessed Utah trophy hunters, scouting, setting up trip cameras and whatever new scheme they come out with next to get the big one and have bragging rights ect. states can do what they wish when it comes to big game hunting rules and that is why the laws are like they are, its not 1950 any more, sorry but many of us were born to late to get in on the really good public land hunting opportunitys, Alaska is in the same boat as the western states, so enjoy what you have now and you can allways enjoy reading about the good old days

without it all the big game areas would be overrun with obsessed Utah trophy hunters, scouting, setting up trip cameras and whatever new scheme they come out with next to get the big one and have bragging rights ect.

WHY IS IT THAT EVERY TIME A THREAD COMES ON SOMEONE COMES UP WITH A QOUTE LIKE THIS. REMEMBER IT TAKES ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE FROM EVERY STATE, NOT JUST UTAH. WYOMING HAS IT'S SHARE OF RETARDS, (SEEN IT FIRST HAND SINCE I SHARE A HOUSE IS AFTON) THAT'S FOR SURE! I'M NOT TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT JUST SAYING LAYOFF WITH THE UTARD COMMENTS, EVERY STATE HAS THEM!

BUGLEMN

PIPER I totally agree.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

everyone might think its not necessary but i have had several opening weekends in elk country ruined by lost hunters.
one was panicked and was only 250 yrds from the road.
i tried to get him to stay with me but he wouldn't he made me drive him 6 miles back to his camp. it was a two mile hike to my truck. what do you do you can't just leave him there.
I've had two years that you couldn't find a elk with search partys walking and helicopters flying just above the trees.
yes i think people should at the vary least have to learn the area or read a map and compass before they wonder off into the wilderness.
i wouldn't support the guide rule if i hadn't seen the reason for it. sorry to all that can find your way in the woods but many guys can't. some other lipness test would work to get your tag you must be led into the woods spun around 10 times and be able to find your way to a elk then back out.
this country is made up of laws that punish everyone for the screw ups of a few. come up with a solution and Wyoming game and fish would listen to it. then we can go to the feds and states to get rid of the rest the laws that are dumb.
in cheyenne you can't wear cowboy boots unless you own 6 cows.
in cheyenne you can't take a bath on Thursday.
in sundance you can't ride a horse into the bar on saterday night. any other time its OK
yep for over 235 yrs they have been making laws i think they need to spend the next 200 years removing them

The laws are sold as safety driven. In fact, the guides wanted them passed, because they want the income and control. After that, there is a period 'cause them's the facts.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom