AZ muzzleloader hunting

BuckSnort: Yes, I have on several occasions. Good area for muleys is in 15B around, and in, the Peacock Mountains. This area has not been hit with the drought as bad and the population has endured better than most areas.

BuckSnort: The Arizona Game and Fish allocates 10% of all tags to out of staters. I hear some folks say it's real hard to get drawn, but other guys don't seem to have a problem.

BuckSnort: If you will contact Tice Supplee at AZ Game and Fish on Greenway Rd. in Phoenix at (602) 942-3000 she will inform you that yes indeed Arizona allocates 10% of their big-game tags to NR hunters.

Sorry, you are NOT correct. Arizona regulations allow for UP TO 10% of the tags to be drawn by NR's; however, the tags are not allocateded into a 10% NR pool. They are in the draw with the resident hunters. The luck of the draw determines what percentage UP TO 10% the NR applicants end up with. Ms. Supplee should have told you that.

AZBUCKSNORT is correct. Arizona caps the non-resident permits for certain hunts at 10% of the total for each particular unit. Bull ELk, Antelope, Sheep, Buffalo and Deer North of the Colorado are the hunts that come to mind. But to say that non-residents are allocated 10% of the tags is not correct. It is possible that 100% of all tags can go to residents.

Thanks for your help.bluelk,I have a couple more questions if you dont mind?

What is the weather like during the unit 15 muzzle season?

Are the deer hard to locate at this time of year?

Thanks again!!

Buck Snort: Those are 2 questions that I cannot answer. Each is a variable of nature and circumstances.

The AZ Unit 15 muzzleloader hunts for mule deer are tough hunts. The country is parched and rugged. The deer densities are low and "monster bucks"-whatever that is- are few and far between. It is generally very dry and warm, if not down right hot, during the hunt. That being said, a good buck comes along ever so often so the hunt is a worthwhile effort. The Peacock's are a good place to hunt, as are the Music Mountains. The country around Chloride can produce a good buck on ocassion.
I saw a very good buck, heavy and in the 27" range, in 1999. The buck was just west of the Hackberry Road near the powerline crossing. The buck was headed for some rolling cedar/PJ/Juniper country along the foothills of the Peacocks. I've also laid eyes on three other 4X4 bucks in the mid 20"s not far from the Blake Ranch Road off of I-40 east of Kingman. One buck I saw was in the upper 20's and very tall with fairly heavy antlers of a nice dark color. A shooter for sure.
Good Luck
AZBuckSnort

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom