B-zone wilderness hunts?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Hi Guys! Me being me, i'd like to hear from some of you guys who hunted the Northern States Wilderness Areas in the close past couple years. Preferably, from those that hike or pack in to Pubic Land to do their hunting.

How was the hunting?

If you've hunted there in the past, is it still as it used to be?

Any other feedback welcome!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

All I can tell you is that most of the Marbles are now closed because of the fire.

I went to the Trinities and did a short walk in during that big rain storm. Raining so hard you couldnt see anything beyond 100 yards. On the way out bumped into some deer including a forkie... passed.

I hope to get back in a week.

Its my first time for California and I have been trying to dig up info. Not easy and I dont blame anyone for keeping quiet.

try B-6 u have the oregon deer migrating into that area, lots a ground to get lost in...good deer herd...

Thanks Guys!

Manny, of course you remember our hunt together where you helped me get a nice Blacktail cross buck in C-1. I'm not in any better condition now than i was then so, i'm not really planning to hunt the wilderness or steep back country as much as i like hearing about other guys who are doing so.

Buck i took hunting w/ Manny
9307sagehornbrook_4x4_front.jpg

6937sage_hornbrook_4x4_side.jpg

There was a time, i had my time when nothing was too far or too rough for me if i had the idea in my head that i could get a good one.
B zone high country with my then newly recieved 280 Ackley. I well remember that trip, first time in my life over 300 pounds but still getting around pretty decent.
8755b_zone_hunt_w_280ai.jpg

That time has gone, i'm just not up to it but that don't mean that i don't appreciate and like to hear about others efforts and if they still pay off with better bucks.

Back in the 70's and 80's, there was a large group of us in our home town that hunted bucks and brought our results to end of the season big buck contests. It was a lot of fun every year but what i'm getting at was that it always seemed to pan out that there were the same few guys every year, seemed to be, bringing in the better bucks. Aside from a few that came off of exclusive private property, most of those bucks were taken by the bunch that i hunted with. We played hard, we hunted harder.

A buck hard worked for that placed in our local A zone contest.
6017nice_3x3_cardoza_ranch.jpg

Anyway guys, no need to tell your secrets here. Would be nice though to hear of some of your efforts in that country and how it's paying off. Thanks!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

joey to be honest we do better just driving the roads up there anyways LOL... I got a B tag but may not have the time to hunt I got n elk hunt next week in Idaho...

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-14 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]Good question. I'll let you in on what I know. About 45 years ago before I could even hunt I went along with my Dad, brother and uncle to a place called Rat Trap Gap. They hunted towards North Yolla Bolly and right up to the edge of the wilderness. My dad killed a decent 3 point so the hunt was fun, BUT, there were guys coming out of the wilderness with horses that whole weekend with huge bucks. I kept telling my dad, let's go in there, but he said it was to far. Fast forward to the past few years. They've made some roads closer to the wilderness and we have packed in and hunted it about 4 times over the past 10 years. One year was awesome, bucks all over, every other year has stunk. There are just hardly any deer left in there. The past couple of years we have tried South Yolla Bolly and the same thing. A few bucks killed, but hardly any deer left there either. It's really sad. We would love to find a place where a guy could pack in a couple of miles and get some good hunting, but we sure don't know where that place is.

I have never spent any time in the B zones, but, with tags going the way they are, I expect that I will have to someday soon, if I want to hunt. The photo of you overlooking that open basin leaves me optimistic that it won't be "that bad". That's pretty good looking country. Good luck this year.

NECALI, thanks for the straight news. I asked for good and bad, sounds to me like you are telling it as you know it, thanks again!

I'm Very envious that you get to hunt with your Dad. That alone is worth the price of admission!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-14 AT 01:42PM (MST)[p]Yes, I am cherishing those trips that I get to make with him more all the time. He turned 79 in August and doesn't get to hike around like he would like, so he can't make it on our pack trips. But we all try to hunt together as much as we can. He did kill a 3 point opening morning this year in the B zones just down the road from camp, so it was a great time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom