Backpack Help?

bowelk

I am in search of a new pack and not sure how large I need. I need a pack that can carry 2-3 days of supplies ( Food, backpack stove, rain gear, water, binos, spotting scope, sleeping bag, bivy tent, and a few odds and ends) and would also be usefull in packing meat out of the back country. I dont want to over do it on pack size but I also want it it be adequate. Also Im trying to stay in the $300 and under range. Any suggestions?

I would take a hard look at the Badlands 2800. It will easily carry 2-3 days worth of gear and still have the ability to haul meat. The great thing is that it can haul meat and still keep your gear clean. The bat wing design really help makes that happen.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-10 AT 09:17PM (MST)[p]I was is the same boat as you and went with the Eberlestock Blue Widow and paid $280 for it. It easily holds enough gear for 4 or 5 days but its still compact enough to hunt out of. When you get to camp it shrinks down so you can still use it as a day pack. It will carry everything you need and then when you get an animal down its sturty enough pack it out. You can get all kinds of accessories for it to make it even better.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

I agree along with the 2800. Got two long pockets for your spotting scope and tripod. Bottom pocket for sleeping bag and bivy or you can strap that to the outside of the pack. The batwings are great for helping to haul out meat without having to make an extra trip back for your gear. You can pick one up for about a little less that $250. I think I got mine for $189 off of ebay a few years back from an ebay store (I think it might have been sage creek not sure though).
WVBOWAK

If you're going to haul quarters, buy one that fits your torso so the lifters actually work.

The best for somebody 6' and over will be the badlands 2200 or 4500. Lifters are well above the frame on those 2 models.
Lifters are low on the 2800.
Even lower on Eberlestock packs.

I am going to have to recommend the Eberlestock J34 or the Badlands 2800. The Eberlestock has more to offer on this one for a 2-3 hike plus if you want to carry a rifle then it has a scabbard. I use the scabbard for my tripod when I am not carrying a rifle.

It also opens up more and expands to about 7000 cu in with the super spike duffel attached. Here is a short video on it

http://www.paysonoutfitters.com/servlet/the-155/Eberlestock-J34-Just-One/Detail

Hunting supplies at great prices and Free Shipping. www.PaysonOutfitters.com

What WapitiBob said couldn't be more dead on.

"If you're going to haul quarters, buy one that fits your torso so the lifters actually work.
The best for somebody 6' and over will be the badlands 2200 or 4500. Lifters are well above the frame on those 2 models.
Lifters are low on the 2800.
Even lower on Eberlestock packs."

If you look at every REI type backpacking pack the load lifters are at a 45 degree angle. It makes a huge difference!!! Badlands does it well for big guys. I'm 6'3" and I have a 4500 and a 2200. The 4500 is great but it is really big and a little heavy. The 2200 is barely big enough for a 2-3 day trip, leaving little room for your meat. I also have an Eberlestock and it absolutely kills my shoulders when packing heavy loads, because the load lifters do nothing to take the weight off of my shoulders. I do like the Eberle when I'm not packin heavy loads and gun scabbord is awesome.
Maybe take a look at the Badlands Sacrafice. I'm anixous to take a look at it.

Good luck and let us know what you went with.

Thanks for all the great input. I think I am leaning towards the Badlands 2800. Seems like it will fit the bill

I have not seen one yet since I don't know if they are out but the new Blacks Creek Barbarian Featherweight is getting some pretty good reviews, Lightweight and comfortable and the price will be right in the ballpark. Check out the website, it may be a good option.

Go over to Bowsite. There's a couple of in-depth review threads with pics of loaded packs and critical information. I found them very helpful.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom