Backpacking 2011 Pics

ForkWest

Very Active Member
Dad couldn't make it this year, neither could the horses. Long story, but that wouldn't stop us. My second son turned 5 earlier this year. That means you're old enough to go. He was excited but I think more amped that he got his very own head lamp! Three cousins came along with three more young'uns and a 61 year old uncle/dad/grandpa that was there for our first trip many many years ago. Perfect company for a great trip into the backcountry.

7043hike.jpg

I aint gonna lie, I do enjoy taking the horses. It was good though to strap on the old pack. Heavy, but good. My oldest was packing about 13lbs, the greenhorn had about 2 lbs and I was packing the rest for all three of us. Maybe +60lbs, not too bad.

4337hike2.jpg

As you know it's been a weird weather year. Seems like the highcountry is about a month behind schedule. Still spring like conditions. Very green, very wet and the mosquitoes were unreal! Worse than I've ever experienced. 100% deet several times a day made it barely tolerable. The scenery was great though.

627spring.jpg

3854spring2.jpg

Took a good hike up and over to the next drainage to check out a couple hot prospects for fish?n. On the way over we found a pond full of HUGE salamanders. Undoubtedly the highlight of the trip for the boys catching those creepy looking suckers.

29salamanders.jpg

Coming over the pass we had to cross a big snow field. Skiing in August!

7161snow.jpg

If the fishing didn't pan out, who cares with a view like this!

8604lake.jpg

Just as pretty when we got down to the lake.

1601meadow.jpg

Fishing was pretty slow, but we weren't really fishing prime time at noon. Ate some crackers, cheese and summer sausage then headed over to another near by lake. On the way over we peaked into a small little inlet stream and saw a giant (relative to brookies). We dropped to the ground so as not to spooking him. A little dangle, a little jig and BAM! Fish on! One of, if not the biggest brookies I've caught in the Uintas.

8002big_fish.jpg

Met up with the rest of the crew and fished this gorgeous little lake. Take note though, don't let the fish get into the lillys!

2588lily_lake.jpg

Fishing was good. My oldest at 7 has got it down.

435dalts_fish.jpg

One morning while everyone else was waking up he grabbed his rod and headed down to the shore solo. It wasn?t long and I heard him yelling with excitement. I would too with a nice fish like this.

461brookie.jpg

And the greenie with his first highcountry brookie. Hopefully the first of thousands more to come in the future. I can't tell you how rewarding it is to watch their excitement and love for the outdoors grow. I see them do and say things that takes me back 30 years to when my dad took me on my first trip. And how grateful I am that he did! With a smile like that, I've got to think he'll be grateful some day too.

9210gunner_fish.jpg

WOW, LOOKS LIKE A COOL TRIP FOR THE KIDS & YOU.........GOOD ON YA !!!!!! NICE FISH CAUGHT TO BOOT !!!!!!.........YD.

Beautiful country- if it's a secret, you don't have to divulge, just wondered where this was...?? I love the Uintahs, and have hiked a few lakes and such, but I don't think I've hiked as high as you guys did on this trip...?

Thanks foe sharin the pics... Those fish are beautiful...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

This was by chance the most impressive report i think i have ever read. /very inspiring to follow your example! thanks

Jeez, those pics sure have me excited for my camping trip with my family next weekend!

Awesome post and Pics. Thanks for sharing your trip with all of us.....
redelkarcher>>>--------------->

Looks great how old are yor kids did they walk and if so how did they do? I hav a2 year old and a 4 year old and want to tkake them it looks like it was a ton of fun.

Family memories! It's one of life's finer things!
Thanks for sharing your trip.
Zeke

I always enjoy you're high country pics.. Thanks for sharing

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

There's some fun memories made. Looks like a lot of fun!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Well done, dad!

If I had a daughter that age, I'd hope she met one of your sons.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

From the 2009 post: "I'll tell you, taking my son gave the trip a whole different feel. Gone was my freedom to run down and flyfish the creek at the drop of a hat or hit the high extreme un-known alpine lakes. But what was lost to my own self serving recreation was made up for ten fold to be able to watch it all through my sons eyes. The excitement, the inquisitiveness, the learning and sense of success. It was just a joy for me, and to not only share it with my son, but my dad there as well was just something I'll always remember and cherish. Here we are, three generations of backcountry enjoyment"

Wow, its all I can say. Its been a long time since I did a pack trip like this, (Windrivers) but I still remember the feelings of exploration, freedom and wild excitement. I've seen your posts every year and love reading about your trips, I went through all your threads and kinda got a lump in my throat, those experiences will last a lifetime and several more, great post.

With your logs of every year of the trips are great stuff, those kids sure are lucky to have a dad who cares so much.
The memories will last a lifetime.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

My Grandpa started taking my dad down to the Bridgeport, CA area back in mid 60's and every year they would make a trip down there for a week of fishing and hunting. Well now my Grandpa is taking me down there, we actually just got back last week. While I was down there I took a lot of pictures and showed them to my dad with out me telling him anything he was able to tell me exactly where they were taken and he hasn't been up for like 15 years. Well with a lot of the pictures he had a story that went a long with the area the picture was taken. Sweet pictures and the memories will stick with them for the rest of their lives.

"Elk dont know how many feet a horse had" - Bear Claw

You know it's getting close to fall when Forky comes out with his Uinta photo shoots! Kinda like watching "Christmas Vacation" at Christmas time. It just wouldn't be the same without the annual "Forky's Happy Trails". Thanks for taking the time to post em up my friend!

It's always an adventure!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom