Backpacking back packs

feduptwo

Next week I will be buying a backpacking pack for hunting deer, and hopefully someday sheep. I'm an avid backpack hunter right now and have had a smaller pack that has worked ok for years. I want a bigger pack and have narrowed it down to a couple.
1. Mystery ranch 6500 or 7000 with the nice frame.
2. The KUIU carbon frame with the 6000 bag
3. The arcteryx(sp)Bora 90

I was looking for input from some of the back packing guys that may own one of these packs listed above. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I tried on a Arcteryx and didn't dig the shoulder straps but it wasn't the bora? I'm especially interested in anyone who owns the KUIU as I really like the weight I'm just a little gun shy of the new packs, well really new anything?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Eric

I got to really look at and wear the Kuiu Icon 6000 a few weeks ago. I prefer an external frame over an internal. The Icon is a VERY nice pack and extremely well designed and built. It's also a lot lighter weight (dry) than most other high end packs. I ordered one already to replace my Kelty Tioga 5500.

BOHNTR )))---------->

The KUIU pack has'nt been getting very good reviews. Try Kifaru's new lightweight line.....The have more than 1 year designing packs.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Here's an unbiased pack review from Aron Snyder with supporting video. Most other reviews (pros and cons) are from those with little to no first hand knowledge on the product.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/live-hunt/2011/06/live-hunt-kuiu-icon-6000-backpack-review

If you're carrying "actual" weight in excess of 100 pounds (that's real weight not guessed) than a different style pack may be something you're looking for. Actually, Aron has designed his own in the area as well.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Just curious Roy, why do you prefer external over internal? I've always used internal frame packs but I'm considering going with an external for Elk hunts because of the versatility.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

You will NOT regret the MR Nice frame! It's the most comfortable pack especially for heavy loads!

Traditional >>>------->

I have the Gregory Whitney 95 and love it use it for week long hunts. 2 years ago packed out 1 elk and 1 deer same day (had buck and bull ccombo) love it it's worth looking at.

That review that was posted told me a lot. The Kuiu is a sweet pack for moderate loads. I want one for when I have to bring a whole boned out deer plus camp. I'm leaning towards the MR.

My son and I did a 10 day Sheep/Caribou hunt in the NWT exactly one year ago and we went with the MR 6000. They are custom fitted and worked out great for us both. It is certainly the best pack I have used and even with some 100lb+ loads they road very well.

I own and use many many packs. I hang out with many guys that do the same. Here is the list of "Back Packing Hunting Packs" I would be thrilled with, and am thrilled with.

-Kifaru LH
-MR 6000
-KUIU packs

I would consider one of the new style Eberlestock packs...although I think they are a little too heavy.

Good luck! any of the packs you listed, or the others people have listed should be life time packs, that will serve you well.

One other note, do not overlook GOOD packs made for hikers: Keltys, Mountain Smith, Osprey, Gregory...Just to name a few, that are adequate and comfortable.

I have a Bora 90 and it is a sweet pack. Lots of room, adjusts well and fits well. From what I hear though you can't go wrong with a MR, but have not personally tried one yet.

Make sure to check out the Kifaru line. The suspension system is second to none. They are a little pricey but worth every penny. They are American made and they stand behind their products 100%.....Terry

Take it from someone who has owned and used eberlstock, badlands, and mystery ranch. The mystery ranch with the nice frame is hands down my favorite. More specifically the MR 6500.These things were born to cary weight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom