Backpacking gear questions??

huntzall

I've been looking at stoves and water purifiers and have not a clue what to get. I would like the best lightweight stove I can get even if I have to save a little longer. I want a durable one.

What kind of gas do you want to use? I used an MSR Whisperlite for years, which can use pump gas, white, kerosene, or anything that burns. But you have to worry about the big gas bottle and the smell.
I've since used a JetBoil, since I mostly eat soup or MH meals. The gas is sealed and is a very efficient stove. I know there are others; but those are the ones i've used.

I've used the iodine purifying pills; but make sure to bring some Emergen-C or something to mask the taste. Otherwise look for a pump.

Do a search on the is section, and you'll find a few topics on it.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

If lightweight is your biggest concern, I'd suggest the following:

Stove - Snow Peak Lite Max (about 2oz)

Water Filter - MSR Hyperflow (about 8oz)

Of course, these may not work for you. As with everything in life, there are compromises for such lightweight equipment.

Regards,
Scott

Water
Micropur MP 1 tablets (for lightweight, warm weather and if you have the time to let them work)
Steripen Adventurer (for when time is an issue, the water is cold and you can afford the extra weight)
a cotton bandana
a wide mouth Nalgene bottle
a rubber band

Stove
Snow Peak LiteMax canister stove (for trips of 3 days or less in temps above 30 degrees)
JetBoils Flash canister stove (for trips longer than 3 days in temps above 30 degrees)
MSR XGK EX for when you absolutely, positively need a stove regardless of weather, temperature or fuel.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

My gear is a little old, but it still does the job. I've been using the same (kinda, MSR rebuilt it for me, sent me a new pump and some extra parts for under $20 a couple of years ago)MSR Whisperlite for about 25 years. It is the original not the international and only burns white gas. This stove has been great! Like my stove my water filter is old and has been in use for about 15 years. It is a "SweetWater". I believe MSR is now making the filter and purification cartridges. I also carry tablets. I know there is more modern and better gear on the market but this stuff has worked great for me.

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

Lite max

Hikerpro

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

+1 on the Jetboil. Works quick, doesn't take up much room, and is relatively light. I also prefer to use water purification pills. I know my areas well and get my water from springs, so taste isn't an issue. When it is, I bring Gatorade powder (or something similar) to mask taste.

If you are thinking light-weight I would consider the Katadyn Hiker or Hiker Pro for a H2O filter and the Snow Peak Giga in titanium. Both have worked very well for me and are very light weight.

JR

And the MSR Hyperflow is lighter and pumps more water per stroke (although it is more sensitive to freezing).

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-10 AT 08:32PM (MST)[p]Pumps aren't for everyone, and they're not for every situation, but they do have their place. I have both the Hiker Pro and the Hyperflow, and the Hyperflow wins, hands down, as long as the user is willing to deal with the freezing issue. I just remove my filter element and put it in a ziploc snack bag in my pocket during the day and in my sleeping bag during the night. It's more work, but the 4 oz difference (on my scale) is worth the hassle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom