backpacking pad suggestions?

blazingsaddle

I posted this in the products review section and got no input, maybe I will here.

I am shopping for a new backpacking ground pad. I have been using a 3/4 corelite, but want to switch to a full size to get better sleep.
The two I am looking at currently are the Thermarest Pro Lite Plus, and the Exped Synmat 7. Any input on these pads, good bad or ugly?
Does any one have any other suggestions of other pads to consider? I am looking for a pad that will work all 4 seasons.
thanks

i have used the thermarest pro lite for my last four elk hunts in the colorado wilderness.i have not had any issues and have not had a cold backside either.IMO it is a good pad worth the mula.

Big Agnes insulated Air Core... If you plan on useing it below about 15 deg or so take a thin foam pad as well. Just about as comfortable as my bed at home.

I have stuck with thermarest since they came out. They have always been great.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I like the comfort/weight ratio of my Therma Rest Pro Lite. ( I have the full length size)

The thermorest neo is frickin awesome. I don't have one but my friend brought one for our 14 day Alaska sheep hunt and I will soon have one. It's like packin a full on mattress in a soda can. I WILL HAVE ONE.

The thermarest neo air has incredible specs and reviews, but I wonder about the R value. I don't think it will be very warm?
Thanks for all the suggestions- kinda looks like the thermarest is the pad of choice round here.

Big Agnes insulated Air Core......most comfortable pad I've ever used.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I've used the Thermarest Neo Air on a lot of rugged backpack trips. It's light and met all my needs.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-09 AT 08:02AM (MST)[p]My buddy and I use regular 3" foam pads. They are cheap, insulate very well, thick enough you don't feel any lumps, they are very light, and compress down as to not be too bulky. Since they compress real well, they are easily strapped on a backpack. We put them in a stuff sack with straps to compress it and then strap them on our packs.

I used to use the other expensive pads like the ones discussed above, or actually go without a pad at all. However, my buddy kept telling how great his cheap K-mart 3" foam pad was, so I decided to try one. There is only one down side I found to it........they are so comfortable that you don't want to get out of bed to go hunting.

I've used this foam pad backpacking for years now in every season and will never switch to anything else.

I know it sounds crazy not to go with the more expensive pads, but we've found these regular foam pads to be better and cheaper.

I use the Exped Downmat 7. Overall i think that it is a great pad. It does only take a few minutes to inflate, i have the older style where you use the bag to pump it up. The only thing that i don't love is that it is fairly narrow. When i sleep in a tent i tend to roll off the pad but when i use it in my bivy, that is not a problem at all. Here is a review that i found about it that will hopefully help you out. http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/14292

Big Agnes Air Core with the Primaloft. I'm a side sleeper and my hips don't hurt on this. Incredibly comfortable!!! and really small and lightweight doesn't take up much space at all in you pack.

I use the Big Agnes, too. Great pad. I also use their Seedhouse 1 tent and it has really performed well in a variety of conditions. Both are light, comfortable and well made.

Just when I thought i had my mind made up, you people make me think twice. Thanks for all the input.
I hate decisions- Whats a few oz? Whats a few inches? But yet they seem to complicate it all.

Buckspy, when are you going to share your sheep story with us? Haven't seen you around here much. Unbelievable, awesome sheep hunt you had. Congrats.

6'4" and 230? Hey Peewee. I'm 6'7" and 260 and sleep on my side on a Big Agnes and love it. I talked to someone at REI recently about the pads, new technology and such and asked him if he thought there was anything out there newer that surpassed the size and comfort of the BA and he said no the BA is still tops for small packable size and total comfort. I'm sold until proven otherwise.

Lots of sheep hunt info on my quest on the Rocky Mountain Bighorn society's website at www.bighornsheep.org

No need to retype it here.

I use the Big Agnes Air Core and it is very comfortable but I have heard a lot about the ThermaRest Neo. I believe it is 4-6 oz lighter than the Big Agnes. That is huge for backpacking. Most of my backpack hunting is during the warmer months so R-value is not much an issue. I my be switching this season.

JR

Big Agnes also makes what they call the clear view. Its the same thickness and style as the air core just without the isulation and fabric. Its basically clear plastic. It weighs about as much as the neoair but I dont believe it insulates as well. Big difference is its about 100 bucks cheaper. I use it on early season trips and even once in the fall when we had a freak snow storm...temps down to freezing and I was fine, but I'm a warm sleeper.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

So for all you Big Agnus fans, what is the coldest you would use or have used your Aircores in? According to the web site its only good to 15 degree for the insulated.

I used MY IAC probaly 30 nights this last summer/fall. I was 'cool' only on one of those nights were it dipped to around 20 or so. I put my coat under me for the next night was was fine. I spent many nights in the 25-30 degree range in the back of a truck and was plenty comfortable.

IMO closed cell foam pad would be cheap insurance in case of puncture and or a cold snap.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-09 AT 10:53AM (MST)[p]I researched this topic this past summer, wanting to step up to the next level from my thermarest pro lite pad. It came down to the BA insulated and the TR Neo Air. I went with the Neo Air. It was more expensive, lighter and had a heigher R rating (2.5 to 1.0). I have about 30 nights on the pad and it is holding strong. 12 nights were on an Alaskan hunt that was wet and cold. I never felt a chill and thought the pad was warmer than my pro lite. The material is scary thin so I keep a patch kit but have yet to need it. The material is non slip that works. I've never slept better in the backcountry and this is one of my most valued pieces of equipment. Ed F

http://community.webshots.com/user/bowuntr

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom