Backpacks and Rifle Slings

tapehoser

I posed this question on another wildlife forum and got very little in reply. Here's my question:

I need some advice regarding the incompatibility of my backpack and rifle sling. When I'm hiking around the hills with my backpack on and have my rifle slung over the shoulder, the rifle sling tends to slip off my shoulder easily. I have come up with a little velcro system that essentially holds the 2 together, but it's not ideal. Does this make sense?

Anyone aware of a sling system that plays nice with backpack straps? Something akin to the big binocular strap systems that allow me to keep my hands free? I don't necessarily want to tuck the rifle away in a pack. I want the gun to remain completely accessible.

We have experienced the same problems with slings slipping off shoulders. I don't know of any good solutions without going to a pack designed to hold the rifle.

I have never seen an independent strap system offered that attaches a rifle to a pack. Maybe check out all the MFG's of rifle holder packs to find a pack that suits your needs of rifle accessible on the outside of the pack. It usually is either or...You carry your rifle for quick accessibility and a shot or you strap the rifle securely to the pack and take your chances with the delay at accessing your rifle.

I don't know what you accomplish with a strap system instead of a secure designed rifle pack system? If you secure the rifle to the pack with straps..even velcro don't you need to take the pack off anyway to gain access to your rifle? If you are strapping that rifle to your chest like a bino system or shoulder strap for accessibility then yeh, maybe your a little crazy :) Get out the weights and work on those arms ..only kidding :) With your system I would be worried about taking a chance on that rifle /slipping down/dropping and knocking the scope off zero with your homemade strap system. Most designed rifle holder pack systems secure the bottom butt of the rifle so there is no chance of the rifle slipping down and falling off the pack as well as to protect the rifle scope while walking or climbing in rugged country. Does your homemade setup secure the butt stock area and keep the rifle from slipping?? Also, I don't know what kind of hunting you like to do but velcro noise sends the deer and elk into the next county where we hunt. Also a rifle suspended in front and not in back out of the way keeping your hands and arms free to break a fall,,, You will kill your self in rugged terrain. Your system sounds like something used by someone that does not walk, climb in steep or heavy cover areas.

You may want to consider modifying your system from velcro only to something with quick detach clips like used on packs. That would be much quieter and not spook the game when trying to access your rifle.

))))......>

You may want to look at the Kifaru gunbearer or try the rifle holster from Gunslinger Corral. I ordered the Gunslinger and like the way it fits on my pack. I have not had a chance to use it in the field yet but I think it will work great.

+1 for the Kifaru gunbearer. I've been using mine with my MR pack since 2006 and love it. It leaves your hands free to hike and glass and only takes one quick clip to remove the gun and be ready to fire. Here's a couple of pictures from my sheep hunts. I like to carry mine with the scope facing out, they show it being used with the scope under your arm pit (as my brother is using it in the second photo). I also use it elk hunting in heavy brush.

845img_0619.jpg

1630dall_sheep_2006.jpg

1300img_0917.jpg

Guys: thanks for posting that product. Never saw or heard of that Kifaru gunbearer. Looks like something that really works and by the pics it does work... and allow your hands to be free.

)))).......>

Plus 1,000,000 on the gunslinger. But I strap it differently. I don't like the barrel in my face so I strap it to the back out of the way and can still get it quickly.

PERFECT!!!! That is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

I see the Kifaru gunbearer can be ordered online for $32. Anyone know of local retailers that carry them in the Salt Lake area?

Sorry....I replied to the wrong window and my post showed above. So this is not missed, I am re-posting here:

The Kifaru gunbeearer is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

Anyone know of local retailers that carry them in the Salt Lake area?

for a few seasons now I have been using a safari sling but I personalize it somewhat - I make bedrolls, meatpacks and alot of misc accessories for hunting camp so I am sitting in front of the sewing machine alot - I came up with a hybridized safari sling with a neoprene portion that rides on the shoulder, it works great and all of my hunting friends and companions have had me make one for them as well - the only "downside" is when you are hunting with others you have to pay attention to where the muzzle points but that's not such a bad thing either IMO - for a simple day pack I have come to prefer either the Eberlestock X2 or Badlands Hypervent and for packing meat/cargo ... MY PACK naturally

I tried a bunch of Kifaru stuff a couple of seasons ago and returned ALL of it when I got home, INCLUDING that "gunslinger thing"

>for a few seasons now I
>have been using a safari
>sling but I personalize it
>somewhat - I make bedrolls,
>meatpacks and alot of misc
>accessories for hunting camp so
>I am sitting in front
>of the sewing machine alot
>- I came up with
>a hybridized safari sling with
>a neoprene portion that rides
>on the shoulder, it works
>great and all of my
>hunting friends and companions have
>had me make one for
>them as well - the
>only "downside" is when you
>are hunting with others you
>have to pay attention to
>where the muzzle points but
>that's not such a bad
>thing either IMO - for
>a simple day pack I
>have come to prefer either
>the Eberlestock X2 or Badlands
>Hypervent and for packing meat/cargo
>... MY PACK naturally
Ditto the Safari sling,very versitile,and no quicker way to get a gun up and ready. Ditto the E-stock packs,J-104.

I have been using the "claw" sling for five years and it works great with my 2200. I never have it slip. I also had the badlands guys add a scabbard to my pack for when I don't need instant access and can wait a few seconds.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

I will second the claw sling! Works well with my day pack never slides off. But I have never been loaded down like the PICS above.
Buckshot.

I have both the Kifaru and the Gunslinger Corral systems. The Kifaru did not work well for me. It is basically worthless. I tried to use it with a Mystery Ranch pack. The butt of the gun hit against my leg if I tried to lower it so the barrel would not get hung up in the trees or brush. The gun just moves too much when you walk. Customer Service at Kifaru was of no use as well. I would be happy to make you a deal on it.

I then tried the Gunslinger Corral system. It worked better, but it is not perfect. It does secure the rifle better so that it does not move when you walk. Customer Service is definitely better.

I think a lot of how any system works depends a lot on your pack.

Good luck.

Nilguhm

I've used the kifaru for years and frankly just don't like it that much. Your barrel is close to your face and if you're hiking in rough stuff it's bouncing around and will pop you in the head once in awhile. I'm looking for a different system too.

RE: Backpacks and Rifle Slings http://monster.muleys

I think the biggest obstacle here is that each of us has their own "style" of hunting and then there is preference AND fit to deal with in the pack - Kifaru did address an important issue in the lightweight market but hunting packs and the way we carry our weapons is a very individual thing making the "one size fits all" product non existent - As mentioned, I hybridize a safari sling so there is a neoprene portion over the shoulder and I retains some length adjustment as well, this works really well for me when hunting but if I have to negotiate a climb I use a simple lightweight sling I also made to secure the gun, then change back when done, I also use this sling when I have to pack a load ie: a head or quarter, etc ... - in bear country I would put some more thought into how fast I can deploy my rifle but that's not too big a challenge - for the hunting part I've yet to find anything that will allow your rifle to be as quick to your shoulder other than just carrying it - Eberlestock has that "pocket" but as I get older my shoulders don't want to contort that direction as much so it doesn't work for me - I am working on a way to secure the rifle across the top of my meat pack making it hands free and fast & easy to get if needed - anyone can PM me at [email protected] if they want to exchange ideas or hear more

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-11 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]Nilguhm, sent you a PM and email about the Kifaru. Would be glad to take it off your hands at a discounted price. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom