Backyard Range Backstop

lone_hunter

I would like to setup a target area in my backyard for myself and mostly my wife to shoot. We have a hillside at about 25 yards, but it is very rocky. If you happen to miss the target, arrows are toast.

Has any one found a good, relatively inexpensive, backstop? I have considered hay bales etc., but would prefer something cleaner that would hold up to weather.

Those layered foam targets are great.
"The Block, The Black Hole" etc..
Maybe some haybales around the perimeter for the "Flyers".

You could make a metal stand and hang old heavy rugs. That should stop a flier. But once you get comfortable with that distance then you might not even need it. Is it only 25 yards you are shooting at?

I only have about 25 yards across my backyard. Mostly, my wife who started last year to hunt for the first time, requested a target that should could shoot every day. She needs a "butt" that she can use to hone her shooting skills, before moving to distance.

I think it is the least I can do to encourage her.

Get a burlab sack and fill it full of the plastic bags you get at grocery stores. This works very well for field points. I set it up with a piece of plywood a few feet behind it to catch fliers from going though my fenceI also have a block type target but I save this for broadheads.

Mark

You have a couple problems to deal with. The first being the rocks, but second the minimal range is huge. Hay bales will not slow the arrow enough to stop damage unless it is very compacted/dense. Most people do not have access to a true 100lb bale, and any lighter will not have the density needed. They also break down, and after a year or so loose density. Oh, don't forget if you hit a gap the arrow is going through at almost full speed. I have used a sytem of carpet, but it will probably damage your fletching at 25yds depending on arrow KE. Make a 2x6 frame and hang carpet on each edge of your header. The gap really slows the arrow before hitting the second layer. If you made a third layer by using 2 -2x4's as a header it might work better. I only used two layers, and never had a problem with 40+ yd shots. If nothing else shoot rubber blunts into a single layer until your skill improves. By using one of the block style targets you should not need a back stop for arrow protection at 25yds after your skill increases. Most people with todays new equipment don't shoot at the same POA under 30 because of arrow damage. You will understand in very short order.

If you miss at 25y then try the broad side of a barn for a back stop.

Kyle

Two Rows of hay or straw bales is my back stop. I have two rows 3 bales long and 3 bales high. The first row is 3 string laid flat, the second row is on edge to cover top and bottom edges. Offsetting front and back rows covers the left and right edges. A Ratchet tie-down around each row cinched down tight will pack the bales tighter.
Rice straw holds up the best in the wet weather if you can get it. a cheap poly tarp over the bales keeps most of the rain off, and a pallet keeps the bales off the ground.

Pin some cardboard pallet slip sheets to the front and you can pin on paper targets, or stick on target dots.

I like the ideas about hanging carpet. I've also seen this with rubber belting. If you put some along the bottom edge of the front of the backstop, that prevents "skippers" from going underneath.

Have fun shooting!

Do you have any friends in mining, or any mines around your home? look for a cement plant, a sand and gravel plant, or a crushing plant and get an old length of rubber belt.

you will never shoot through it.

NVMDF

cotton shirts, rags, in a big burlap sack. Its amazing just try a small garbage sack full cotton old shirts you will see.

Rocky...how many people have ever seen a three string or have any clue how much they weigh...last ones we had were 130 average...no dought they would work...LMFAF when some rich bimbo wants a load of hay and asks for 100# bales....we just fire up the KW and leave them laying on the ground...had one from Idaho that actually was willing to pay for us to drive back after she could not find anyone to do it....she ended up just spreading a tarp over it where it lay...she still buys but pays for the stacking now....just something to laught about...

I think the carpet and old conveyor belt would be good backstops. I've tried the hay bales and they dont do well.

Best I've seen are 'layered' target butts made of either cardboard boxes or carpet. You can make these as wide as you want and as deep as you want. You can set them on a pallet or make a stand with wheels so you can move it if you want (they are heavy as #$*& though) I've never seen a pass thorough on one made of carpet, but after a few thousand shots, the cardboard ones start to let them go on through and you have to take it apart and change out the cardboard. Make some sort of compression mechanism and you can tighten it up if it starts to get loose. Threaded rod with 2X6 or a metal frame works well.

I have a range set up in my pasture and i put up a target and a 3d target and behind it I put up a little cover just two pots with a little 8' long by 5' wide and its only about 6' tall but i filled it with straw bails and I have never missed it even from 70 yards but when you have the cover over it you dont have to worry about the hay getting wet and falling apart and it will also solve your problem for a backstop but your shouldent have to be so big if its only 25 yards maybe a 5x5 roof with some ply wood on the back of it or something then stack the hay right up against the back of it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom