Badlands vs. Hornhunter

Nimrod

I can't decide between the Badlands 2200 and the Hornhunter main beam. Does anyone have a pic of the main beam carrying meat or a bow? I'm curious how well it works. I live in an area were trying them both on would be difficult so my I'm leaning toward the main beam based on lower cost. Also I've found the main beam pack ranging from $130 to $200. Is there a newer version or something? I've done a search on the forum and have read up on them quite a bit but I can't pinpoint a clear winner. Any opinions out there?

12 posts on the OX and nobody has an opinion on my question? Come on I know there are some pack junkies out there that can help me out.

Hey Nimrod sorry I can't provide any input on the Hornhunter. But I too am in the market for a pack. I have a BL 2800 and love it. I just wanted something a little smaller/lighter for dayhunts but one that can handle packing meat out. I have read way more reviews on the BL2200 than the Hornhunter not to say the Hornhunter is inferior. The warranty on the BL is second to none so you should really keep that in mind before buying.

Furthermore, maybe I am looking in all the wrong areas but when I do a search for the Hornhunter Mainbeam I can't find a webpage that provides any detailed information of them other than they are 2800ci.

JR

I personally own an older main beam pack from a few years back. I got the newest model that I think came out last season and I also own a main beam xl. Personally the group I hunt with has hauled out plenty of elk on these packs. It is quick to set up and the meat sits very high on the back. Unfortunately I don't have any pics but I am sure that if you give it a few days some will show up. The one feature that I do like about the new main beam is that the meat pouch is sewn into the pack and stuffed into a compartment in the bottom of the pack.

Wayner
What changed on the main beam pack from the older one to the newer version? From what I could tell on pictures it looks like the hip straps might be different and there are some loops added to the back. Does it carry a bow pretty well? Thanks for the response.

Nimrod

The mainbeam has a meat pouch that is sewn into the pack and is stuffed into a lower compartment on the pack. I like this because it doesn't allow me to leave this behind like in the past. I think the pack is great for carrying a bow there are some loops added to the back that allow you to strap around the limbs. Compared to my old pack the upper suspension has been modified so the pack sits higher on the back which I think is more comfortable. I am not sure but I also think that it is a little bigger than my old one when comparing the two side by side. My old main beam liked to squeak alot when wearing it but I think the fabric has been changed and seemed to fix this problem or this one just doens't do it not sure. The hips straps are a little larger but didn't notice much difference.

Wayner

another killer all around pack is the Blacks Creek 1.5 bone collector tons of room carries a bow or rifle lite weight H2o compatible we hauled out 3 deer last year on ours never had a problem & u can pack way more stuff in one of them than u really need for a day or weekend hunt they run around $120 worth a look

Another vote for the HH Mainbeam. I primarily use it for archery elk hunting. It is a great pack and is designed very well IMO. I have the 09 model and it is very comfortable. I don't have any pic's of things loaded on it, as I am usually hauling meat in meat sacks, nothing really to take a pic of there. Horn Hunter also has a no questions asked lifetime warranty and is made from USA materials, in the USA. Badlands is made in like Vietnam or something. Those are two of the reasons that I purchased HH. I am very pleased with it, and im sure you will be too.

}}-SLIVER-->

Hornhunter makes the best hunting pack period I have a mainbeam xl and it is the best pack I have ever had well thought out tons of pockets the meat carrying system works awesome and a lifetime warranty as well my brother has the mainbeam and I think it would haul out a deer no problem an elk you would have to bone it out to carry it on the mainbeam. Also check out there new curl pack system great well thought out system.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-10 AT 10:08AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-10 AT 05:38?AM (MST)

Wow Morrison. Pretty bold statement. Glad the pack works for you but to say they are the best pack period is kinda confusion. No one pack is the best at everything. Is the mainbeam the best pack for going lightweight?? No. Is it the best for hauling uber heavy loads? No. Is it the best pack for day hunting and hauling out a deer? For you apparently it works great which is awesome. But to assume that just because you like the pack you have it is the best pack period is pretty broad brush stroke. I really like my current pack(s). But would I go as far as to stay they are the best that there are out there?? Certainly not.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-10 AT 04:47AM (MST)[p]Glad you enjoy your pack man and know its the best pack ever as you have tried ALL of them I am sure.

Well I ended up purchasing a BL2200. I was very surprised to find out that it is not smaller than the BL2800. It fact the main compartment is rather large, much larger than the 2800. The 2800 has more pockets and is easier to get stuff into and out of them. Anyway the 220 looks to be a decent meat hauler. I am going to use it this week bowhunting Blacktails. Hopefully I will be able to provide a full review. When I called Badlands the rep told me every year since they started making the 2200 that they have been making them a little larger each year. The current 2200 is very close to 2800 cubic inches now. They did not want to change the name since it so popular so they kept the name.

JR

Congrats on purchasing a great pack. Badlands makes an awesome pack. the 2200 is awesome for packing out meat with the lower fold out orange shelf. You will be happy with your purchase.

I own both packs, the HH mainbeam and the BL 2200. I got a screaming deal on the BL and decided to pick it up. I am 6' 4" and have a 34" waist. The BL just doesn't fit me as well around the waist as the Mainbeam. In addition I don't like some of the pocket configurations on the BL either. However I do like the larger meat locker material but it really doesn't help you carry more. The scope sleeve is a plus too for the BL.

The HH has a ton of straps which I love. Last week we did a 3 day scouting trip on the Dutton. I was able to easily pack in a tent, pad, sleeping bag and food, scope and tripod, which was about 65lbs. (We didn't care to pack in light.) It felt great. I have used the HH to pack out 3/4 of my deer plus a tent and sleeping bag-just over 100lbs, and it did great.
I gave the BL to my dad and he has packed out a deer as well and it performed optimally.

As far as the different years. Mine is an '09 and my friend has a 2010. No difference other than the color of the "Hornhunter" enscryption on the pack. I know the BL there is a difference between the '08 and '09 model. I think. I can't remember what, but the one I bought was a 09 or '10 model and I liked it.

Just my opinion but I use the HH over the BL because it fits me better and I like the configuration of the pockets more, I wish I could take some things from each pack and create my own.
As for carrying a bow I would go with the HH. More straps and I think it secures it better. As for a gun- both do well but I like the BL more because it has the lower pouch that comes out and secures it better. I don't like the pouch on the HH that is attached to the bag.

You just need to go to a store and try the two on and see what fits you better. In all reality, you will not be disappointed with either. Or just order both of them and return the one you don't want??

Good luck.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom