Baiting in Utah?

carbonnation

I apologize if this has been discussed on here before, but a while back I was watching "The Crush" on the outdoor channel. They were hunting mule deer in southern Utah. Lee and Tiffany both took great bucks from ground blinds. Both also took there bucks while other bucks were feeding on yellow powdery piles that had been poured on the ground in front of the blind. I have always understood that although attractants could be placed in front of trail cameras, they could not be used during the hunting season nor hunted over. Has this law been changed? or was it never a law and my own misunderstanding?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-15 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]I have never been able to find anything in the rules book that says you can or can not bait deer in Utah.

A friend who is a warden told me that hunting over bait is legal on privet property, but not legal on public land in Utah.

This has been discussed on this site before and most people think that it is legal to hunt over bait in Utah. I have never seen anybody post a link directly to the rules that say weather it is legal or not.

I think there is a pretty big percentage of bow hunters that hunt deer that have been tamed and trained on apples.

I saw that same show you mentioned. Those deer came in like a dog to his food bowl in the back yard.

One of the problems with baiting that people are starting to think about is predation of fawns at baiting sites.

The bait attracts not only deer, but rabbits, rodents, and birds.

With all this action going on the predators key in as well. Does get hooked on the sweet treats in the same spot every day or so and lead thier fawns right into the predators.

As far as I can determine (back to 1955) there have never been any regulations in the DWR big game proclamations prohibiting the baiting of big game. According to them, it's legal, but whether or not the Forest Service or BLM have regulations against it I couldn't say. However, I do know there are DWR regulations governing bear baiting and waterfowl baiting and upland game bird baiting and I also know several DWR employees in the Southern Region who do it with deer and elk.

Baiting is weak. I dont see the challenge in it. The guys I know of who have done say its not that effective on public grounds the animals are nervous around them. Imo it should be illegal just more people bringing who knows what into the forezt

>Baiting is weak. I dont
>see the challenge in it.
>The guys I know of
>who have done say its
>not that effective on public
>grounds the animals are nervous
>around them. Imo it should
>be illegal just more people
>bringing who knows what into
>the forezt

"I don't see the challenge in it."
"it's not that effective on public grounds"

So, which is it?

And "who knows whats" are already in the forest and bait hunters get to see them more often, (foxes, badgers, bears, bobcats, marmots, coyotes and now wolves among others).

Rifle hunting is weak. I don't see the challenge in it. People I know say it's
Overcrowded on public land. It should be illegal.

See?? I can do that too!! However, I don't feel that way. And no. Baiting big game is NOT illegal in Utah.

See folks, I dont know why some of you "sportsmen" are so hell bent on taking away from other people. Taking away their rights. Wake the hell up and realize who and what the enemy is. And guess what?? The antis hate you even if you're the "purist" you think you are or whether you bait. Live and let live.

I have used just about every bait that is imaginable in Utah. Minerals &salt to grains with molasses to fruit and veggies. Truth is I have never shot one critter over bait with the exception of a black bear. My son shot 1 cow elk on a mineral block. I have however got the photos of several good bucks and bulls at bait sites. When the velvet comes off and there is plenty of natural food around the older wiser males of any specie seem to know to avoid baitpiles, at least during daylight hours so if you think sitting over a pile of apples or whatever is weak or not challenging then you have probably not tried it or are influenced by TV shows...baiting is just another tactic but does not guarantee one a successful hunt,especially on older, experienced bucks or bulls.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom