Barbary hunt; pics

C

Chef

This hunt started a few years back with my good friend Jesse Novak showing me footage he had of some cool looking Aoudad rams. Jesse lives in New Mexico and spends a ton of time in sheep country filming desert and rocky mountain bighorn sheep. He always sends me dvd's with a lot of cool and sometimes HUGE rams that my friends and I drool over. He mentioned that hunting Barbary on public land is no "gimme" and it made for a rewarding and fun hunt.

I really love the way these animals look. Their flowing chaps make for a great and interesting mount. So with that said, I sent in my money and later drew a New Mexico tag for 2011.

Fast forward to the first week of February which had me packing my rig and getting ready for the long 11 hour haul to camp from Phoenix. I didn't have much time to waste as I only had a few days available to enjoy this hunt. So I drove straight through, stopping only for gas and food "to go" as I made my way towards camp. Once I left the pavement, I reset my tripometer just to see how far camp was from the nearest asphalt road. I arrived at camp at one in the morning and my tripometer read 28 miles!

It was windy and brutally cold. It had snowed for several days straight a few days earlier but we were expecting "nicer" weather. I was fortunate to arrive when it was getting better. With that said, it was zero degrees at night, add the windchill factor to that and well, you get the picture.

Jesse had a client tag a beauty of a ram a day earlier and told me that there was an even better one in the group. It could take several days to relocate him, if we even found him. Being as I didn't have much time, I told him I would be very happy with taking any mature ram as long as he had nice chaps. With that said, Jesse decided we should leave the spotters in camp, pack light, and he would bring the video camera. He said we would get into sheep early and he would get my shot on video. Little did I know, that was exactly what would transpire.

Jesse wasn't kidding when he said this would be no easy hunt. We put a lot of miles in on foot just to get to where the sheep were. Weaving around private land to get to pockets that held game. The North facing slopes still had snow and it was so tough to walk through it without knowing what rocks and holes lay underneath. Between the terrain and the cold, it was some tough going. As the sun crested the horizon, we spotted mule deer almost immediately. The warmth of the suns rays felt so good and I started to really breath it all in. At exactly 7:15 Jesse spots a group of sheep two ridges over. It was hard to see if there were any rams so we crossed the canyon to get a better look...

Here is a little recap of what I just said, as well as...the rest of the story...
click here --->

We did end up getting the kill shot on video but I can't transfer the footage from dvd to my computer.
I will keep trying and will update the post if it happens.

8952barbary_11_001.jpg

6144barbary_11_024.jpg

8657barbary_11_011.jpg

5906barbary_11_026.jpg

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

Yup, I've got footage of the Novak ram too!
His DVD's he sends out are amazing.

I talked to him today as he was heading back home from another photo excursion. That man digs deep to hike the terrain finding these sheep.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

You came at a really cold time. Lately it has been 75+ during the day.
Great job on the Ram. Barbary hunting is addictive and great exercise may I add.

Chef,

I believe my brothers where in camp with you and Jesse? They said they had a great time. Planning on sending in my money this month and hopefully chase a few sheep next year.

Thanks for the story and pics.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-11 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]>Chef,
>
>I believe my brothers where in
>camp with you and Jesse?
> They said they had
>a great time. Planning
>on sending in my money
>this month and hopefully chase
>a few sheep next year.
>
>
>Thanks for the story and pics.
>

Then they can vouch for the brutal week we had! LOL! I've shared hunting camp with Jordan numerous times. Fine taxidermist out of Las Cruces and a real positive individual.

*Thanks everyone for the kudos as well.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom