barbary scouting frustration

bassinhunter

Got out Friday and Saturday to do some Barbary sheep scouting. Man I don't think I've ever felt as discouraged as I am now. Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack! If I wasn't so damn prideful and stubborn i'd probably sit out my unit 29 and 30 hunt. I need some words of encouragement. Even a hang in there champ speech........guess I'll just have to hunt my tail off come Feb and let the cards fall where they may! Anyone have population numbers for those two units?

Rob

Barbarys are tough, but keep at it. I had that tag two years ago and it took me until the 4th weekend (eighth day) to find one.

Take the time enjoy the desert, scout for deer, shoot a yote or maybe even a feral hog, etc.

Look for fresh sign--if barbs were there once, they'll eventually be back again.

If it doesn't work out, you can still use your tag in one of the year-round units during March. Pick a unit that you want to get to know better, for whatever reason, and go looking for barbs there during March, and see what else you might learn about that unit that may prove useful in the future. You may even stumble across a barb. I got to know what is now my regular 3rd choice deer unit by first hunting barbs there.

I'm a believer in the old adage: The worst day hunting is still a lot better than the best day at work...

What Mozey said, enjoy the desert, nice weekend and whatever you see! I will be there as well from the first to the 5th. Good luck!

Nothing easy about public land barbary. Lots of sweat equity involved.
I would say that in all the days we have hunted barbary on public land we see sheep 1 day in 3.
We do a little better now, but, it is still hard work.

Keep expectations low.

I hear you on that frustration. This weekend was my first scouting trip too. I have the other hunt than you have, the one around roswell. I was having a hard time finding all that nasty terrain I hear they hang out in. All I found was rolling hills. I guess we can always photo shop myself into someone else's picture with a sheep. :) Its a good thing I love to just get out huh

Nasty doesn't necessarily imply steep. If those rolling hills are made up of ankle rolling irregular shaped shell that makes a loud clank with every step, and the surrounding vegetation is waiting to prick, poke, stab, skewer, or rip up your clothes and flesh the moment you lose your balance, then you're probably in sheep country...

Ha thanks Mozey! Yes, I discovered real quick that it is necessary to wear gloves while walking through that terrain. Well then I guess I might be in the right place. Its just such a totally different game than anything else. Thanks again.

Being that the vast majority of sheep that I've seen have been a couple miles from the nearest public road, I've found that leather boots with "ski-boot" like stiff upper support, chaps, and leather gloves make barb hunting a whole lot more tolerable...

My first time without those things and I was digging cactus needles out of my flesh for a couple weeks thereafter.

That is part of the fun of hunting the lower part of the "Land of Enchantment!"I grew up down in that country and have been gone for 20 years... I'm looking forward to the challenges of the desert once again beginning on the 1st.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom