Barnes 250 Grain Spit-Fire TMZ

VTelkchaser

So, I have been reading numerous threads in the Muzzy section and the over all opinion has been that a 250 grain bullet is too small for elk sized game.

Here is my attempt to dispel that myth! The Barnes 250 grain Spit-Fire TMZ is more than enough bullet to get the job done.

I took the bellow elk at 150 yards. The TMZ Completely broke both front shoulders and this animal did nothing but role down the mountain!

The bullet was recovered between the hide and opposite shoulder when we capped him out. I cleaned it up and put it on the scale. I couldn't believe it still weighed 248 grains! What an impressive bullet!

82822010_le_elk_045.jpg

270dsc_0364.jpg

Nice elk! How much powder? What type of powder? Does that sabot load easy in your gun? What kind of groups would you get? Sorry about all the questions I was just considering a possible switch in bullet as it seems like it performed excellent for you. Thanks.

Awesome! I'm glad to see that, even though I still intend to go with the 290-grain TMZ for my hunt that starts this Saturday. I just can't argue with the 100-yard groups. Bigger is always better, right? ;-)

Bigger groups are not better...Joking. Good luck on your hunt and post some picks of your kill and bullet performance.

I am using 130 grains of 777 pellets out of the CVA Apex with a Winchester 209 primer. The TMZ loads fairly easy in my CVA but is a BUGGER to get down the Knight. FYI I shoot the same load out of the Knight now even though it is hard to load. I consistently shoot one large hole at 100 yards with the both guns. The CVA will shoot a 2 inch group at 200 with the Knight slightly larger but still under 3 inches. I think the reason for this is more the scopes fault than the gun/load. There are big differences in 1X scopes! I have a Pine Ridge on the CVA and a T/C on the Knight. The Pine Ridge is WAY clearer than the T/C.

Thanks. I look forward to using my accura in a couple of weeks. I just might have to give these bullets a try next season.

Yea, I'm with ya on the Barnes
bullet.

I've shot two muley's and it's been
devestating performance.

I'd shoot anything with them.

lrv

I shot my elk last year with a Barnes 250 MZ expander and it did the job. But after reading the BC and drop chart provided by Barnes I switched to 300s. Took four deer with them this year and have been very pleased with the performance.

Nice post and nice bull. I love the Barnes bullets too. They shoot great - perform great, nothing better IMO. I killed my big bull with a Barnes 285 TMZ and with three 777 pellets rolling out of my CVA magnum hunter. Same results as you!

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

I'm new to muzzleloading, so excuse my question if it seems a bit rediculous. I just bought 777 pellets and the little pamphlet that comes with them says to never use more than 100 grains. I see people all the time saying they use over 100 grains of 777 powder in their loads.
I'm confused... any help on this?

I read where many people do this but not recommended. The accuracy seems to diminish when I try to shoot bigger loads from my encore.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom