Barnes TMZ Expanders or Hollow points? And load?

Roy

Got a good question for all. What do you thinks works best for elk - Barnes TMZ Expanders or hollow point sabots? Also - what is a good load to shoot them with? This would be for a hunter in Colorado (no pellets). How many grams of powder? He is shooting a Knight .50 Cal. What do you all think and what is your experience?

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Thanks - I have never hunted Colorado muzzleloader and am not too familiar with all the specifics of the regs. This guy hunted there last year and is going there this year this is what his "guide" told him to use. Hmmmm - I guess you can't always trust the other guy to be right. I will double check the regs for him for sure and make sure he does too!

That being said - what is a good bullet and load to use in Colorado for elk?

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Colorados legal hunting methods for Muzzle loading season:

Muzzleloading rifles and smoothbores muskets

inline muzzleloaders are legal

must be single barrel that fires a single round ball or conical projectile the length which does not exceed twice the diameter (50cal = 1" long conical length" 444grain powerbelt is legal.

to hunt deer, 'lope, or bear they must be min. of .40cal

to hunt elk or moose, they must be min 50cal

from 40 to 50cal, bullets must weight min 170 grains

if great than 50cal, bullets must weight min 210 grains.

shotshell primers are lega.

Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading season ( NOT LEGAL!)

Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading season

only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons, Fiber optics and fluorescent paints incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.

scopes or any sighting decive using artifical light, batteries, electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading season.

Sabots are PROHIBITED in muzzleloading season. Clotch patches are not sabots.

Smokeless powder prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.

For elk, A Powerbelt is a good choice but use the 338 platinum with 90-100 grains pyrodex, a 348 copper series (aerotip) with 80 grains pyrodex Maximum!"

405gr Powerbelt (My elk load) use 90-100 grains maximum if shooting in open fields where long shots can present themselves.

I am using 80gr pyrodex rs and sighted dead on at 100 yards, I am 13" low @ 175 yards which is very reasonable considering the massive side of an elk.

Please see the link below and read up on the bullets tested.
You do have to sign up in order to read this stuff. Free and only takes a few minutes.

www.GandersPowerbeltForu.Powerguild.net

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom