Bear Bait Location

prn

This last year I moved to Idaho and had the chance to hunt bear a few evenings in the fall. I was hoping I could find someone who would be willing to show me the ropes of baiting, but I haven't had any luck. I've found that most hunters aren't willing to help when they think you might be hunting within 100 miles of them.

I decided that the best thing for me to do is buy a bunch of books and study them. I think I'm finally figuring things out, but I have one question that is never adressed with a lot of datail. Where is the best bait location? If any of you have any advice on what has worked and what hasn't I would really appreciate it.

Should I be close to a ridge top, or down in a draw? On flat ground, or would a hill side be ok? Does the direction of the slope matter? I know that the law requires me to be a certain distance from water, but should I set up as close as I can? I know that cover is important, but does the type of cover matter? Once again thanks to anyone who is willing to give out some advice.

I'm in Idaho Falls.

A few days ago I got my bait set up, but I'm not sure how it will do. I think I really need to find another location for the fall hunt.

I'm still hoping that someone can give me some more good advise on what to look for.

This is what I look for in bait sites. Is I find canyons with lots of trees up the north facing slopes. Semi cover down the bottom of the canyon.
Mine is set up on the bottom of the canyon. The heavy cover is for the bears to stay in and that way they feel safe coming into the bait. All the trails come down threw the tree's except the bigger bears come down the bottom. the canyon I am in goes way back up in and hits a ridge on top so when the geo thermals start blowing during the day the scent I put out blows up to the ridge tops. bears like to travel these routes looking for sows in the spring.
So look for a canyon that is like a cross with cover coming down so if the bears cross over from one side to the other. Also with a good bait site on the bottom of the canyon where if you want to rifle hunt in there you can get 40 50 yds up the other side so if the wind blows or swirls your scent will blow up the side you are sitting on. So when the bears come down threw the trees on other side they will not smell you.
One thing is make sure there are bears in the area's and stay away from easy acess area's with lots of roads. make sure you get in somewhere where there is no other roads within miles and miles.
Good luck and keep us posted.

fca2e9e9.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom