Bear down

NMPaul

Last night Zach and I went out and we saw 2 different bears which is very unusual. One while driving in on private land and another while we still hunted through a promising area.

Tonight, Zach had homework so I went out solo. I did not leave till a little after 6pm, and got to the spot I wanted to hike into about 6:30. I had got about an hour into an area that help promise and I saw some giant bear scat. Acorns and enough to fill half a 3lb coffee can.

I was about an hour into my pack. Going a lot slower than the previous night. The previous night Zach was with me and as few bears as we have seen over the years he was bugging out on his own looking for sheds. When we saw the bear yesterday it saw me first then Zach and by the time I got my rifle out he was blown out of there.
Tonight I was moving much slower.
I was side hilling some steep stuff and I heard a noise a little above me. She was up in a oak tree eating acorns. I had time to drop my pack, grab my rifle. When she hit the dirt I saw some brown and fired. She died right there. No bear death moan or nothing. All the other bears I have killed or been on the hunt they always have that spooky moan. She just died right there.
2012PaulsBearandZachyellingatme005.jpg

That pic above shows her coloring. I have seen a few bears with that phase. Blonde on top and chocolate underneath.

BTW, if anyone wants the rug let me know. I plan on caping her out, but, will only do the skull. I estimate her at about 175
lbs.
Kind of a gory pic, but, interesting.
2012PaulsBearandZachyellingatme004.jpg

Cleaned up pic. I was by myself so I felt like a couple of teen agers in a photo booth. She did not smell to bad for a bear.
2012PaulsBearandZachyellingatme007.jpg

This was plan A to get her out. Zach was home by himself so I did not want to come in at midnight. I wanted to get the meat and the skin out so breaking her down would not have saved much weight. Plan was to get her out whole to save time.

I put the Eberlestock X2 on her like a diaper. Seemed like a good idea, but, when I tried to pick her up, I about left my spleen up on that mountain. I just lost 51 lbs, but, not 151 lbs.
2012PaulsBearandZachyellingatme010.jpg

2012PaulsBearandZachyellingatme011.jpg

Here I stopped to try to get my heart from beating out of my chest and took another pic.
2012PaulsBearandZachyellingatme012.jpg

Oh yea. Finally got back to the truck and realized I left my Leki walking stick at the kill site. I have lost a couple of them, so I hiked all the way back and got it. Long night.

Mucho congrats, Paul. That is awesome. Maybe I misread, but did you really pack her out whole? You are the man.

Mozey, got her out whole, but, I think I left about 10 years of my life on that mountain.

The strapping her on my pack was a very very bad idea. Dragging her was not much better.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-12 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]Greatd bear and better story! Hope for that hunt very soon. If you still want to give the hide away let me know and I'll take it.

>Congrats on the bear Paul.
>Glad to see you put
>that X2 to work.

Spencer, I like that pack a lot. It carries a gun well and I could maybe take out a quarter or 50lbs of boned out meat and get a bigger pack at the truck.
I do not want to be carrying a 4000 inch pack around even if it compresses down.
I tried to carry the bear with the pack, but, it was not happening. I dont think it would matter what pack I had.

Buckrage, someone said they want it, but, if they drop out, you are next in line.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-12 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]Good job
I tried that diaper trick with half an Elk one time. not good

Very cool Paul. I hope you left one for me to hunt while Im hunting elk. I have the X1 pack and found it to be very useful in packing out animals. Last fall I put a front and rear quarter and some neck meat in a game bag. Put all that in to the bow scabard and lashed it to the pack as best I could and walked out. I was exhausted after the 2nd trip but it was better than packing that elk out all day.

Seth this was not in that area. I think a bear was killed up there though. Saw lots of crows and buzzards. Not a ton of sign for bear up there this year. Lots of elk though. :)

THats ok Paul, we found a 7x7 down there the other day in a different area also. Hope nobody hunts him till I get down there for the 2nd hunt. Congrats again on the bear always nice to shake that monkey off your back.

Congrats on the Bear!!!
But I gotta say, that is one ugly bear. Hope it tastes better than it looks.

Congrats on a great bear Paul. One of the bigger sows I have seen killed this year, Makes that X2 look small.

Jordan, trying to carry that bear with the pack was such a bad idea.

I could not even get her off the ground. Remember that snout trick, may save you some time. It really works.

Hey Paul, I was wondering if making the hole in her snout like that will mess up the skull mount? It looks like a handy way to drag a bear though!

>Hey Paul, I was wondering if
>making the hole in her
>snout like that will mess
>up the skull mount?
>It looks like a handy
>way to drag a bear
>though!

No, it wont be a problem at all. I have done several bear euros and the bone is further up the bridge of the nose. The hole I cut was through cartlidge, which is removed in the euro process. I do not think I could have got him out of there dragging by a front leg or any other way whole.

OldJake & NMPaul

Correct me if I am wrong but that might do some damage if you were wanting to do a rug or shoulder mount. If might rub off some of the hair and the taxidermist would definately have to sew up the incisions. Worst case scenario is that some of the hair gets rubbed or broken and the Taxi is unable to hide the stitches.
jeff

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom