Bear Rifle Question

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
So I just found out that, assuming the transfer goes smoothly, I'll be doing one of the bear hunts on the Mescalero next weekend! This will be my first bear specific hunt. I spoke with the guide/baitman yesterday and he said the baits were all 40-100 yds or so from the stands/blinds and that some were in some pretty rough areas. I originally wanted to go archery but those are some potentially long shots on an animal you really don't want to wound haha. I'm probably still taking my bow just in case but am leaning rifle now and will be taking 2 with me. For those of you that have hunted bear before, I wanted some opinions on which ones to take. Here are the options...

300wsm shooting 190vlds at 2600
28 Nosler with factory 160ABs
6.5x284 shooting 140vlds at 3020
270win shooting factory 130ttsx
260ai with 127lrx that I have to shoot and chrono

Thanks!

Black bears are easy to kill and most people go way overgunned. Lost my area in Idaho to clearcutting and fires, but went every year for ten years prior to that. My stands were always archery stands and got it done most years with my bow.
Guys in our group mostly used 30/06 and .270 with zero problems. One year we wanted to test how a .223 would perform. I watched it go down from 50 yards and that bear dropped in the bait. After that a few from our group started using their AR's and the little .223 took it's fair share of bears.
Use what ever rifle you like because everything you listed has more then enough energy to get the job done.

Muzzleloaders aren't allowed or I'd consider taking my hawken I haven't killed anything with yet. I'm likely taking 2 of these 3...260AI shooting 127lrx, 6.5x284 shooting 140vld, or 300wsm shooting 190vld

Enjoy and have fun. Bear hunting is exciting and fun. Use the rifle that you like. I have used 300WSM, 7MM, 270 308WIN. All worked great.

I've used a 223 to 338 Win mag and a handful+ of cartridges in between. DRT

I think anything with a bullets which is designed to penetrate works best. The long range frangible cup-and-core bullets would be my last choice but I'm sure they'll work okay...but they're still my last choice.

Zeke

It's your hunt.... tell the outfitter you wanna bow hunt it. They can put you in stands that are bow friendly. Get a good sharp head and aim "middle, middle" and you'll have a dead bear within sight.

Traditional >>>------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom