Bear Rug Question

TheSaint

Has anyone ever gotten a bear rug back from the taxidermist that appeared to be darker than when you dropped it off to be tanned? Does the tanning process turn the hair darker? I shot a lighter chocolate this past September and now it looks darker than it did before. I posted this in the Taxidermy forum but didn't get any responses. I'm wondering if I got my bear back!

In the process of hiding the edges of the skin and the areas where hair isnt real thick like the armpits they use a dye, and this is usually done by the rugger not the taxidermist unless he does everything in shop. The dye that might of been used could of been darker than the hair of your bear. Was it only in spots or was it the whole bear?

Before

67062009_colorado_archery_black_bear_011.jpg

41992009_colorado_archery_black_bear_012.jpg

After

790bear_rug_004.jpg

9596bear_rug_005.jpg

6331bear_rug_002.jpg

What do you think? I've killed two other chocolates and they look the same. I just didn't know if the tanning process would turn the coat darker or not. Am I just being paranoid?

I'm a taxidermist and to answer your question I would say that the hair shouldn't change at all in the tanning process. There are some animals that can change colors due to chemicals in the tan but bears aren't one of them.

The markings on the face are exactly the same on the rug as on the kill photo. You can see the two tan colored marks on his eyebrows, the same shaped tan on his muzzle, and even a slight tan streak just behind the nose pad running from it up the bridge of his nose about an inch and a half. To me the bear is the same one, no doubt about it.

Could it be that the sunlight in the kill shot is making the bear appear lighter and redder that it appears now?

DeerBeDead

I believe you are correct. The bright sun may have made him look lighter than he really is. I appreciate you taking the time to look him over.

Thx

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 06:23?AM (MST)

I'm going to disagree. The rug looks like a different bear. The color is way darker and the markings look different also. The two tan markings above the eyes in your kill #2 photo are very prominent and in the rug photo #3 they're not. The muzzle markings look different too. In your kill photo #1 they look like they come to a point at the top towards the nose and in the rug photo's #1 & #2 it appears to angle back towards the eye. The nose in your kill photo's appears to have a more reddish tint to it and in the rug it looks black. It's hard to tell but they look like two different bears to me. I would take these photo's in and show them to your taxidermist and discuss the differences.
Wes

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom