Bear Spray vs. Bullets

• Thread starter HardcoreOutdoor
  • Start date
H

HardcoreOutdoor

I wrote what I think is the definative article on bear attacks a while back and ever since I have taken a bunch of crap from the granola crowd. It is also one of my most popular articles. You can check it out at

http://hardcoreoutdoor.com/2007/11/20/bear-with-me--bear-attacks-and-the-kimber-45-acp.aspx

Anyway, today I got a copy of a US Fish & Wildlife Service Fact Sheet from one of these people that said you stand a better chance of getting seriously hurt or killed using a firearm against a bear than you would using bear spray. Here is the USFWS Fact Sheet

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/bear spray.pdf

I just can't buy it. Provided you have done everything to avoid the encounter and you have the stones to keep cool and make good shots, I will take the firearm, the right firearm, over the bear spray anyday. Am I wrong? Help me out here?

I can aim a gun a lot better than a can of spray...especially when i need to. No, i don't think you're wrong, at all!

It depends on the circumstances. If a bear wants to kill you then a high powered rifle is probably needed. Realistically you won't know this until it's too late. I've had several run-ins with bears including one grizzly and there's too many derelicks with guns that probably would have killed curious bears. Every year someone dumps a griz for whatever reason when it was probably just being curious or they were just being lowlife poachers. The more trigger happy uneducated wannabe outdoors people with guns, the more wounded and dead curious bears. Bear spray works just fine but I won't knock anybody for packing heat. Either is better than nothing.

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....
300 Win Mag or Bear Spray?..........
308 or Bear Spray?..................
44 Mag or Bear Spray?...............
357 Mag or Bear Spray?.....................

I'll take the bullets any day of the week.

Anything smaller caliber than that and I'd take the BS........maybe........HMMMMMMMMMM.

I can't see me triggering 15 9mm rounds in to any bear that was pissed off. I think it would just piss him off more.
But my instinct would probably tell me to grab the 9mm and not the BS and start firing at the charging bear...so I guess I can see me unloading a clip in to an angry bear. It's kind of like an intruder in your home...12guage or pepper spray?

Okay it is official...The Bullets Win!

HK

GO HARD KORE OR DON'T GO AT ALL

I feel that the gun is more reliable "IF" and that is a big "IF" the person doing the shooting is a very good shot with his handgun and can stay cool enought to place that bullet into the brain or nervous system of a charging bear at close range.
The vast majority of people packing handguns, even rifles will not be able to stop a charging bear at close range with just one well placed shot.
First they have to be a good shot with the firearm they are packing. they have to know the right place to put that bullet at a frontal shot charging bear. The range will be close so that a bullet that only breaks bone will still allow the bear to make contact.
They have to be able to place that shot in mere seconds while staying cool enought to make a proper hit. If that bear is on top of you when he charges, one shot is about all you will get off. Last you have to have a heavy enought caliber and proper bullet that will give you the penetration to get into that vital area. If I was in bear country, I would carry both, but if I surprised a bear at close range and he charged I would go for the gun first and shoot for his forehead. I would not be using hollow points, but a heavy hard cast lead bullet in a 41 or 44 mag. at a velocity of 1300fps. They have a damn hard thick skull and some lighter HP bullets will not penetrate or glance off.
Best bet is to avoid them if possible and make noise while walking to give them the chance to move away from your appoach.
My luck with the bear spray is that I will downwind of the bear and get a faceful myself instead of the bear.

RELH

I carry both. I didn't believe the spray could stop a bear, and maybe it can't but, I have seen the spray used on people and it puts them right down. The spray that I have is almost like a fire extinguisher, I'm sure that I could hit a charging bear with it alot easier than I could my handgun. Like the post above said, you gotta put that bullet in the brain or spinal column to stop the critter, that's a tough shot given the circumstances. The spray will blind them, and make it so they can't breathe, hopefully stopping them in their tracks. And without killing them, saving you the hastle of explaining yourself. I guess if the spray didn't stop the bear you could always spray yourself to get you mind of the bear eating you!!!

I think my 10mm auto would work.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Wade, I think your article is very well written and right on the mark.

Being bear smart is the number one thing when venturing out into bear country. But if push comes to shove, and one of you has to die, it might as well be the bear.

RELH has obviously given the situation much thought and I agree. Bullet placement is everything. You can hit a bear in a vital spot, but you probably won't live long enough to watch him die. You have to break him down or brain/spine shoot him.

Bear spray may work, but damn, what if it doesn't? What a helpless feeling that would be.

Eel

12 gauge, 00 buck.....serious bear spray.

Problem is, that particular tool is not generally what you are carrying while in areas where bears live.

I think that simply carrying a .22, to shoot your partner in the foot so that you can at least outrun him, is a good plan.

OK, I know the .45 is not the ideal bear gun, especially with hollow points but it is what I know, what I carry and what I am comfortable with. Besides, I don't play in Grizz country. This is black bear and lion country. Switching to a hard cast bullet is good advice though. Thank you. If I were in Grizz country and I hope to be soon, I would probably go 12 ga autoloader with magnum slugs or a big center fire lever action.

As for the spray, I don't want to get close enough to spray the dam thing, piss him off and then have to be reaching for the gun. Again, I would like to avoid the whole thing if possible.

But boy did that article piss the tree huggers off something terrible.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I asked a friend of mine at the Division of Wildlife which he would recommend. He brought up a very logical point; what if there is even a slight breeze? You will be rolling on the ground rubbing your eyes with the bear. Pepper spray goes with the breeze. Bullets have a more direct path.

The absolute best thing you can do when you think a bear will attack is run. Run pretty fast too because bears have some wheels you know. Try to tip over a chair or any other obstacle while you are running to try and slow the bear down as well.

I have never used bear spray, how close does the bear have to be? Even if I have a gun on me I don't know how fast I could get it out and aim effectively while simultaneously wetting my pants. I guess whichever one I felt I could get out and shoot the quickest would be my answer.

I don't know about you but a 45 isn't gun enough for me in bear country. I pack a 44 mag and don't feel real comfortable with it. There's a saying in Alaska that if you shoot a bear with a handgun you need to file the front sight down so when the bear takes it away from you and shoves it up your a$$ it won't hurt quite so bad. I've fished for salmon in Alaska on bear infested streams and packed my 44 but would have rather been packing a 12 guage with 3" mag 00 buck loads. Something about 12, 33 caliber lead balls in a bears face at 10 feet that is very devastating. I have a good friend that lives in Alaska. He shot a moose with a 44 mag in the head at 30 yards, the bullet glanced off and the bull came at him. He got rid of it and bought a 454 Casull with a 2 1/2 inch barrel for his backup gun for bowhunting. When it comes to stopping a charging bear you cant be overgunned, pack as big of handgun as you can shoot effectively or prefferably a 12 guage shotgun. Bear spray may work but I dont want to trust my life or the life of loved ones on a little spray can that may or may not work.

A friend of mine was concerned hiking into the woods at night while hunting and scouting. He almost always does it alone. He purchased a can of bear spray for protection and carried it everywhere he went. This can was heavy so he thought why the heck am I carrying this can everywhere. He also wanted to see how far the can would spray if he had to use it. So he tried it out and guess what it didn't work didn't even spray 6? and it ended up getting on his hands.

The last thing I want is to be getting eaten by a bear and end up with bear spray in my eyes and mouth. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Ill take a pistol when it comes to big bears any day.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Ok let me get this straight. In order for them to have proof that spray works better that a bullet. We must assume they have done some testing. Please show me the evidence of bullet size versus spray. I can see it now. Bear #1 will be tested on a 44 mag. Kaboom.. the bear drops. It gets up, Kaboom. it drops again Kaboom. man this is fun can I shoot again. Kaboom.

Bear #2 now lets test the pepper spray pssssssss... okay the bear runs away. Yep that was much more effective..

How many bears did they shoot in order for this test to be effecitve? Can I sign up to test the gun part?

I know this is tongue in cheek but come on people. Shooting a bear dead is much more effecitve that spraying it.

Bear spray would be my first choice, then a gun of course if the spray did not work. Spray covers a lot more of an area, versus a single slug. If you did not hit spine, brain or some area to drop him instantly you would be in for a world of hurt. And what might have been a bluff charge, would escalate into an attack once you shot the bear. I know they have done some studies about the effectiveness of spray, I watched a Nature show on Polar Bears and one was sniffing the dudes cabin and he gave him a quick shot and the bear acted like it had been hit by a bus, if it hurts our senses imagine what it would do to a bear that has senses that are a lot more effective than ours. Of course I would have a gun in case the spray did not work.

LAST EDITED ON May-02-08 AT 11:40AM (MST)[p]All jokes aside, using an approved bear spray cannister....not that keychain crap, will most definately STOP an attack.

This stuff is tested continously and there is no question that it will turn very aggressive bears in their tracks.

A 13 oz canister will spray 35' and pretty much paint a pickup.....in a pretty stiff breeze.

They sell this stuff as a bear deterent and it damn sure better work or the lawsuits would be endless. I can sell you a 44 Mag and pretty much assure you that it will kill a bear......if you can hit it. If you can't, that ain't my fault.

But if I tell you that this bear spray works, and it dosen't...that is my problem.

UDAP Pepper Power is the brand we sell, but there are others.

Now, would I rather have bear spray or a 12 Guage....I'm going with the "shottie"...

Nickman

I am not a huge fan of wheel guns but I have a few Smiths and a couple Tarus models in .38 and .357 mag. What do you suggest for a .44 mag? Something as compact as possible but still useful.

Also, the .45 or a .357 mag would do the job for self protection against AZ Black bear don't you think?

Thanks.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

The question is how level-headed are you going to be with a 1000+ lb bear charging you? In surprise situation it probably takes about the same amount of time to unholster a pistol and fire as it does a bottle of pepperspray. However, with pepper spray there is no real aiming involved, you point in the general direction and let it fly while with a pistol you have to take your time and aim. Shotguns are a little different but the same concept applies as well as the fact that you aren't really going to be killing many bears with buckshot, you'll just be pissing them off.

If I'm my myself I carry pepper spray, if someone else is with me it is nice to have a weapon of some sort handy just in case.

"you aren't really going to be killing many bears with buckshot, you'll just be pissing them off."

Are you kidding me? I know a few guides in Alaska and all of them use a 12 guage shotgun as their weapon of choice when going in the bush after a wounded Brown Bear. Shoot anything in the face at 10 feet with a full load of OO buck and see what survives. I have 2 Friends with Brown bears in the Pope and Young record book and they both followed up their arrow shot bears with 12 guage shotguns. I dont think you have any idea what a shotgun at close range can do. Read Larry Kanuit's book called Alaska Bear Tales and you'll see what bears are capable of. I for one want as big a weapon as I can pack when bears are around and a 12 guage shot gun is plenty enough gun at 10 feet.

I was attacked/charged by a (black) bear during Sept. of 06. I was only armed with a muzzle loader...fortunately for me, it is a double-barrel. The second barrel put him down about 15 feet from me...he was still alive but dying quickly.

Had I missed, I suppose the bear would be regaling his grandchildren with the stories rather than me telling mine. I firmly believe it would be easier to miss with a rifle than with bear spray. I've seen what it does (to a person) when the "mist" hits rather than the main spray.

You said, with the right gun and with the cool to stand and take the shot. I think there in lies the answer. I take a gun, but do believe it would be easier to miss with a gun than with the spray.

Just for those who care...the gun was .50 cal. Both barrels loaded with 125 grains and 2 50 cal. lead balls. All four balls hit in the throat and chest. The bear only weighed 300 pounds.

No doubt about it, it would take major league huevos to stand firm, stand your ground and make a good shot on a charging bear. Again, that is why I like the 12 ga autoloader with slugs. Maybe it would be better to alternate slugs and double 00s.

Regardless, a change of underwear will be necessary.

A good friend who is a retired guide in Alaska would use a gun loaded with alternating rounds of slugs and OO buck. The slugs are more effective at a longer range than the buckshot. He was the one who told me that OO buck at 10 feet is so effective. I dont want to see the effect unless it is absolutely necessary but believe me, it is very deadly. I've been to Katmai National Park where old Timothy Treadwell was killed and eaten, in fact the guy who flew out the remains by helicopter is a friend of mine. He's the one in the video saying that the reason he survived so long around the bears is because they must have thought he was retarded. I don't know but I think he was an idiot and it was only time before one of them killed him, the sad part is he allowed someone else to be killed with him.

Actually I think they have made major advances in bear spray over the past few years. So it may be a viable option. It shoots farther with more force and volume.

Some people insist on bear spray because it may save the bears life. I have no such noble aspirations. It's not that I hate bears. But I don't love them either. I have no desire to kill a bear under any circumstances, sporting or otherwise. I just want to do whatever gives ME the best chance to survive.

About the only time I was ever in Grizzly country (on a non-hunting trip) was on a remote fishing trip on Chichigof Island, AK. We flew out to a Forest Service cabin on Stikoh Lake. We fished the creek running out of the lake for a week. We saw only two bears and they were about 300 yards down stream from us. We decided up stream was better fishing anyway.:) Not that I was too worried as I had my .300 Win. Mag. with open sights close by at all times.

The .12 gauge with 00 buck would be great but I think beyond about 15-20 yards it would be pretty useless against a bear. Ten yards or closer would be best.

Eel

A fat buddy that you know you can outrun would be the best thing to have. Lacking that, bullets work in the wind and at longer ranges. I say carry both, use the spray as a last resort when your magazine or cylinder is empty and the bear is almost on top of you.

Hardcore.....you need to ask around your circle of friends to see who has what in the way of handguns, in whatever caliber.

Try to shoot a couple of them and then make your choice. Unfortunately, the most effective ones (per this discussion) are almost NEVER user friendly!....."therein lies the rub".

If you are not proficient with it's use, read; lots of practice, might as well leave it home. I figure, with a handgun, you might have about a 5" margin of error on a running bear....and if you are running also....well, you get the picture. These things outrun elk.....you might not get too many misses before it's all over.....you.

And since I'm already here; a lot of you guys need to buy a box of OO buck and go out to the dump and blow some stuff up. Tree stumps, logs, tires, refridgerators, car doors, 50 gal drums...etc. You will get an education, and I guarantee a LOT of laughs. You will definately revisit your home defense decisions.

There is NOTHING that walks, talks, crawls, casts a shadow, or eats lettuce, on this continent, that will survive a load of OO Buck at 30 yards. And even at 40 yards, you won't get much sass from whatever you hit. All the King's horses and all the King's men.....ain't patchin' them up again either!

Dove and quail loads are launching an ounce of lead at 1400 fps.....inside of 60 feet, that is serious power. Convert that to 9, .38 cal balls at 1400 fps, all arriving at the same time, into about a 10" circle. Multiply that by 2 or 3 shots. Tell me what handgun or rifle has that ballistic equilivant. The damage is simply RUDE!

We have used a 12 ga dove loads to the forehead, to kill our beef for as long as I can remember. An occasional 1800 pound Angus bull with a broken leg never takes a second breath, and I have seen them take 3 or 4, 30.30 rounds...and get up!.

Our postmaster killed a black bear a few years back, while quail hunting. He hit the bear center mass, while it was standing at 20' and he insists it was dead before it fell over.

I prefer a Remington 870 with a 20" barrel and no plug. Mossberg has a stainless steel one that is nice also. You can even get magazine extensions and load like nine rounds....?

Bottom line here, you never hear from a bear attack survivor..."I saw it at about 50 yards, but I really didn't think it would attack".....it is always like, "the SOB just appeared out of nowhere and in seconds it was on me and I couldn't do anything but scream and crap my pants".

An old boy told me once he had absolute protection from both bear and shark attacks.... "I don't go where they go and they don't hardly never come to Kansas City". I still call it sound wisdom.

Nickman, Serious stuff there indeed. I have a Camper gun that goes w/ me while on the road, hunting, fishing, whatever.

It's a Remington Nickle 870 W/ 18 1/4" barrel, pistol grip, and a bandolier sling loaded down with slugs and 00 every other one. Serious tool and it kicks like nothing i've ever shot. I pray that i will never have to use it... but a bear or otherwise had best leave this ol boy be, while i'm sleeping in that camper.

joey

All of you guys who speak highly of the shotguns are right. The problem with them is that, if you live and play in bear country (we have both blacks and grizzlies here in Idaho) your hands are full of a fly rod or a bow or whatever. Simply put, I don't usually have a shotgun with double 00 shot when I'm out & about.

When I'm hunting with my normal rifle, I feel pretty safe. When backpacking, fishing and all the rest, I believe the shotgun is the most effective. However, I carry the handgun because I'm willing to carry it. The shotgun makes fishing difficult. It makes drawing a bow difficult.

I'm going to get some of the bear spray, too. If I can carry the revolver and the bear spray, that's probably as prepared for the unexpected as I can get.

I've seen lots of bears, even hit one with a pine cone, but it's true, the one that charged came FAST and it was a surprise. I had left the revolver in the camp....it was too heavy to want to carry. The muzzleloader simply doesn't reload as fast as I wanted it to. Fortunately the bear was dying, but I sure would have shot him three more times, if I'd had three more bullets. (When I was sure he was dead, I kicked the .....right out of him.)

LAST EDITED ON May-03-08 AT 11:31AM (MST)[p]I always get a chuckle out of these threads, where everyone states 'this is better, no that's better' or 'I'd do this or that'. The fact is, other than gb22 and myself, I don't think a single one of you has ever been charged by a dangerous animal, so you don't have a clue what it's like. It is the worst possible situation you can imagine; and generally when it happens, things go to hell quicker than you'd ever expect. You have no idea how you're going to perform until it happens.

Over many hunting and fishing trips to Alaska and Canada, I've seen well over 100 grizzlies/brown bears. I've probably been in reasonable shooting range of about 1/2 of those bears. Of those, I've been within 30 or fewer yards of probably 10-15 bears, with the closest one being about 15 yards or so. I've never had a problem with a bear, nor come close to having a bear problem and I'm talking grizzlies, not black bears. I've only ever fired shots at 4 different bears, 2 interior grizzlies, 1 Kodiak and 1 black. Each time, I had a tag and was actively hunting that bear.

I've been charged by two animals, both of which intended me serious harm, with one definitely trying to kill me. It is scarier than you can imagine if you haven't been there yourself, and I don't ever hope to experience it again. The one that tried to kill me was a 10,000+ pound bull elephant. We, as in my PH and I, stopped him at 8 or 9 yards. He started his charge from less than 15 yards. I was shooting a .458 and my PH a .460 weatherby. The second animal was a cape buffalo cow, and she started her charge from about 12 yards in very thick bush. I jumped out of her path, and shot at her at a distance of maybe 3 feet from the end of my gun barrel and my PH shot her in the face so close that she almost knocked the gun from his hands. He was shooting that same .460, while I was carrying a .470 nitro express that time. We didn't knock her down and had to follow her up. Over the next 20-30 very tense minutes I don't know how many times we shot her, but there were 27 bullet holes in her when she finally dropped at a shot I put into her spine. Some of those holes were exit holes from solids, but many never exited. Notice that I said 'shot at her', I MISSED! All you guys who talk about shooting at a charging bear with a pistol are clueless about how hard it is to accurately shoot a charging animal. That wasn't the first animal that I'd shot at in close quarters, and I was well under control but with jumping out of the way, pivoting as she passed me and my gun being shot from the hip, I completely missed her. It's easier to do than you guys realize. I've been bluff charged by a couple african lions and several elephants, with all of them stopping at about 15 yards +/-. We've never fired a shot at any of these animals, only the ones that got within 10 yards, and there was no question about their intent. I've been chased by elephants several times, but we never needed to shoot as they started from far enough away and we ran like hell, scattering in different directions as we went. They all gave up after chasing us away from them, again NO shots fired. You'd be stunned how fast you can run when given the proper motivation.

If I'm going to be carrying a gun for bear protection, I'm carrying a heavier caliber rifle, .338 being minimum. If it's strictly for protection, then I'm carrying my .416 hoffman. Anyone, inlcuding Alaskan guides, who carries a shotgun with buckshot for protection is doing so because they don't really understand what is takes to STOP an animal. Penetration from buckshot is dismal on an animal as big as a brownie, and slugs aren't much better. I've shot a few slugs into a cape buffalo after we'd killed it to see how they did, penetration was generally not much more than 12-15". That isn't going to stop any animal that is determined to harm you. It might deter or delay him, but it isn't going to drop him and keep him down. If you think hitting a charging animal in a vital spot such as the brain, spine or even major bones is easy, you don't know what you're talking about. If a charge happens where you have time to prepare and take careful aim, that is the exception and may have been a bluff. Most serious charges happen suddenly and from very close range, so you really don't have much opportunity to make a well aimed shot. So, I ask 'How many of you practice shooting under these circumstances?'

On the subject of Alaskan guides, I've known a fair number inlcuding some of the top brown bear guides (Earl Stevens, D*ck Gunlogson, Lynn Castle, Tom Kirstein, John Swiss, Darrel Farman) and don't know a single one who carried a shotgun. With the exception of one guy (Max Schwab) who carried a .30-06, they all carried bigger rifles, up to .458.

The only guns to carry as stopping guns are heavy rifles, not shotguns or pistols. If you doubt this, ponder why african PHs use heavy rifles. They experience more actual charges than anyone. It is safe to say that, collectively, african PHs experience more actual charges in a single season than Alaskan guides do in well over a decade. If shotguns or pistols were better, those guys across the pond would use them instead.

Abut the only time a pistol would be of use is if an animal is almost upon you, as in less than 10 feet. Then, you're going to be pointing it, not aiming as you aren't going to be standing steady in a stance, but probably moving more than you realize. Of course, you could just use the gun to put yourself out of the misery you'd be about to experience!

If I'm not carrying a heavy rifle, I'm carrying bear spray and when I have it's been UDAP.

Well said elknuts. You've got to have one of my favorite usernames on MM.

I have been charged by a cow moose in wyoming, all I could do was step behind a willow bush for protection, well she slammed into the bush with her head and stopped, I was carrying my Browning Bar 7mm and had the muzzle about a foot from her head. After a minute or so she decided she had scared the crap out of me and left. It is scary, I didn't think she really wanted to kill me, or she would have kept coming through the bush. But I know what you mean to an extent.

I do think it would be damn hard to kill any animal that wants to kill you at close range with a handgun. I do think the spray will deter most critters, if you don't believe it, go get a can of bear spray and have your hunting buddies over for a demo.

Well........I guess all of us with an opinion have been oficially "spanked" for stating them. Dan "Robert Ruark" Sozzi, has just said we don't know "what it's like", or what we are talking about. And was quite rude about it to boot. Arrogant?

I would suspect that there are one or two guys on this site who have had a human being.....armed and firing..."intent on doing you harm"; an experience I would put up against any dumb animal attack for shear fear factor. You probably don't want to persue that theory.

I would not argue a single point he makes, just the way he makes them.

Most bear attacks, IN HUNTING SITUATIONS, are the result of a bear being attracted to an easy meal, they are now trained to relate the sound of a shot to a fresh gutpile, at the very least and the word "bluff" is not part of the deal. You have food, they want it and that's it.

And by the way...."12 to 15 inches of penetration" ....I can live with that; pretty much is going right thru the heart and lungs of any critter on "this continent", from whatever direction you shoot them.

Now I ain't never hunted in Africa, Russia, Austrailia, New Zealand or Gumbyland, but I am glad there are those folks that can. I know a whole lot of them. Most of the ones I know don't think the rest of us are stupid.

I have a couple more comments. I'm envious of the adventures you (elknuts) have had the opportunity to experience....not so much being charged, but having been where it was a possiblity. I've read the tales from the famous writers since I was 10....DANG!!!

I didn't take your comments the same as he did. I took them as a strong statement from one who had been there.

I have twice had a human being intent on doing me harm make a "charge". It's not the same. The speed and the power...even the rage is not the same.

Besides, people fall down much easier.

The bear after me was only about 300 pounds. I believe any human being who ever lived would have stayed put when those first two 50 caliber balls hit his throat...one just above and one just below the collar bone...dead center about about 40 feet. That bear only stumbled, spun around and kept coming.

I needn't get within 15 feet of a BIG one to know how fast they move.....would love to hunt a coastal grizzly or a cape buffalo though.....if Ed McMann ever shows up with all those millions....ALAS.

Nickman, I'm sorry to have offended you, that wasn't my intent. I didn't intend to come off as arrogant and hope that nobody else took it that way. What i WAS trying to do is point out that everyone has opinions, almost none of them are based on any experience and many of them are not the best option and might get you hurt worse, or killed. I do have a small amount of personal experience, and have spent a lot of time discussing this with others who have extensive experience, and was trying to share that perspective. I apologize for not being articulate enough to convey it in the manner intended.

In an attempt to give you an idea of what it's like in these situations, I'll share what happened and how I felt when I was attacked by that elephant. We'd been shadowing this herd, which had about 50 or more elephants in it, for a good part of the morning. We'd already been chased by a couple different juvenile bulls from the group, and everyone's nerves were on edge. There was one good bull in the herd; he was in musth, (which is an elephant bull's version of being in heat) and there to breed cows. Bulls in musth tend to be very aggresive. The herd finally spooked when the wind shifted and they all headed toward Wankie Nat'l Park, which was a few miles away. We kept running, trying to get a shot opportunity at this bull, but he kept avoiding getting himself into a spot where we could take him. Finally, after probably more than 1/2 mile, he got fed up with our harrassment, turned and calmly began walking right toward us, where we were now kneeling in the middle of a small clearing. I had told my PH that I was going to only take a heart shot, and it was covered with his trunk, so we let him come. At about 11-12 yards, my PH whispered 'he's too damn close' and at about that moment the bull flattened his ears back, dropped his head (which also caused him to swing his trunk clear) and came for us. I immediately shot as quick as I could get on the aiming point for his heart, while my PH shot the bull between the eyes and under the bull's brain. The bull stopped in his tracks and staggered around. The PH was urging me to shoot again, but my rifle had jammed! Finally, the bull turned and fled with the PH in pursuit. As soon as I was able to get the stuck cartridge out of the action, I reloaded and took off after them. When I caught up, I put the bull down with a spine shot and then another through the brain for insurance when he was down.

I THEN WALKED ABOUT 10 YARDS AWAY AND SAT DOWN AS I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK, LITERALLY! I couldn't believe the amount of adrenaline that was pumping through me and how fast and hard my heart was pounding. I never noticed it while it was all happening, but was just about useless for a couple minutes after it was over. At first, I was short of breath and shaking while sitting there, then felt drained, nauseous and without energy.

Now, put yourself in that situation with a bear and think how you'd handle it.

Without going into all that detail, that was part of the point I was trying to get across. It is far more difficult to shoot accurately in these situations, even with a shotgun at close range, than most would ever believe. Chances are good that any shot will not hit in an ideal spot to stop a charge, so the bigger and more powerful the gun, the more damage it'll do and longer it may delay the animal, giving you time for a more accurate follow up. If you have to shoot, it should be with something capable of efficiently STOPPING or killing the bear.

Perhaps some of you are capable of shooting calmly and accurately in these situations. All I know is that it isn't the great action situation that some seem to think it is. If I wasn't carrying a big rifle, I'd be carrying bear spray. I have a much better chance of hitting an animal with spray. If that doesn't stop the animal and cause him to leave, and I have a gun, then at least I bought myself enough time to use it more accurately while he's dealing with the effects of the spray.

One final comment. Any gun, to be useful, had better be in your hands before you need it. A pistol in a holster, or shotgun/rifle over your shoulder, is going to take too much time to bring to shooting position to be of any practical use when you need it.

CAelknuts, I will say that you make a very good argument for the big caliber rifle. If it's available, give me the 460 Weatherby (or one close to it) every time against a charging Grizzly, provided it doesn't jam and limit me to one shot.(like it did you) Most of us don't have one though. I felt fairly comfortable with my .300 Win.Mag. with open sights while fishing, BUT you can't fish and hole a rifle at the same time.(as you pointed out)

If, and it's a big if, I have time to get ready and the bear is comming across fairly open ground, a 12 gauge stuffed full of No.1 buckshot (six shells) would feel pretty nice. At about the 20 yard mark I would hold on his nose and start pumping like a trombone player gone mad (to quote Capstick). It might not kill him but I bet if he could still see, he would be having second thoughts. That's the theory anyway.

A .44 mag revolver never jams and you might get lucky and have the presence of mind to stick one in his mouth or ear before you get killed.

I guess there is a cetain risk involved when wandering around bear country. It sure beats sitting home on the couch!

Eel

Nickman you are right I've been officially spanked. Elknuts you are right most guides in Alaska carry a big bore rifle with them into the field with their clients. Mainly because they have to back up the client right after the first shot and many clients have questionable shooting skills. My nephew has been in on the killing of 4 Brown Bears as an assistant guide. He packed a 338 Win mag. He has since replaced it with a 338 Lapua because he felt undergunned. Some of the time the guide has to help out on the killing of a bear and at the range most are shot at a 12 guage is not effective. But ask any of them if when the go into the alders looking for a wounded bear if they would rather be packing thier long barrelled rifle or a short barrelled shotgun, I think you might be surprised at their choice. I fished commercially in Alaska for 30 years. I've seen probably 150 to 200 bears in all those years. Been closer than 10 yards to some and most I saw from the safety of my fishing boat. When we had off time from fishing with nets we would go sport fishing and most of the time I packed my 44 mag. I never felt real comfortable with my pistol but it was the biggest gun I had with me at the time. I've never had to shoot at a bear, never been charged don't want to think about what might have happened if I had. If I'm fishing on a stream where bears are present I would feel fairly confident in my ability to stop one with many well placed shots to the business end of a Brown Bear with a 12 guage mag loaded with OO buck. I've never been charged by an elephant and expect I never will, its a little out of my league, but if I was and my gun jammed I would not have that gun in my possession. Isnt that why PH's in Africa use big doubles or controlled round feed bolt guns like the winchester pre 64 model 70. I've never been charged by anything trying to kill me and dont know how I would react, no one knows that until the situation arises but I hope I can be cool headed enough to put the animal down if it comes to that. Not trying to offend anyone just stating my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Here's a picture, I tried to load more but had no success.

481d1ccd30d6968e.jpg

I can tell you from first hand experiance that I have seen Bear spray NOT work at all and the bullets did when the can went dry.

A Peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.- Aldo Leopold.

A lot of good bear information....Jack O'Connor said he found the big bears easy to knock down unfortunately they didn't usually stay down.....and being a devout coward and knowing a lot of things can happen in a bear encounter that I made every attempt to avoid and most of them bad for me...if I were hunting in black bear/lion country I would be carrying a 30-06 with tough premium bullets regardless of the quarry....if I were hunting in grizzly,brown or polar bear country I would be carrying a 375 H+H regardless of the quarry and if I were not hunting in any of the areas helping or scouting or hiking or picnicing my choice would be a very short handy ghost sighted 30-06 with 220 grain Rem Cor-Lokts or 180-200 grain premium tough bone crushing deep penetrating bullets (black bear/lion country) otherwise in really big mean bear country I would not feel good with out a short handy lever or bolt ghost sighted "stopper" 450 Marlin/458 Win/etc etc and in either territory I would have a 3-4inch 44 Mag with Hornady's heaviest XTP's on me even when I sleep!!!!! And if I had to kill one of the above I would not be running to the nearest human or authorities and advertise what I had to do in my judgement to live to experience the great outdoors another day....just my opinion. Have a great day. Be safe. Don Nelson (incidently spray is for deoderant,washing cars and gardening etc!)

Apex, we do agree about at least one aspect of the guns. That rifle that jammed was a Colt Sauer. I'm sure I'd offend someone if I stated what I think of those guns after that, so I'll just say my PH told me he wouldn't take me hunting in the future if I brought that gun back, and he then lent me a model 70 in .375 H&H for the balance of the safari I was on when that gun jammed. I sold that POS (oops, I stated what I thought of it!) as soon as I got home and bought a Rigby side by side in .470. The Rigby was totally dependable, but not a very good rifle for longer shots, say beyond about 75 yards, so I sold it after one hunt and had a .416 hoffman built from a model 70 action. Talk about bad timing, shortly after I took delivery of the gun, Remington introduced their .416 rem mag, which is almost identical to the hoffman, but with a slightly shorter shoulder.

I guess you'd use on thing while I'd use another, but at least we agree that neither wants to ever need to use anything as we don't want to be in a situation where it's needed.

Editorial comment. I re-read what I just wrote and mis-stated something (Nickman is probably smiling and saying "that ain't the first time! ;)) I didn't sell that Rigby because I couldn't use it for longer shots. It is a gun/caliber designed for a specific purpose, close range shooting and utter dependability. Those big doubles are excellent for that purpose and would actually be probably the single best stopping gun in a bear attack, but I can't begin to imagine taking such a wonderful rifle into those Alaskan conditions. I actually sold that Rigby as I didn't expect to do any future elephant hunting, at least for quite a few years, but did want to do more buffalo hunting and thought a .416 bolt rifle with a scope was more practical for that. Just to clarify.

I once asked a native fellow that I knew if he had ever killed any brown bears, he said that he had killed many. I then asked what gun he used, he said " a thirty thirty, they're nothing but big dogs." I don't know about you but I dont want to shoot a bear with a 30-30, I would want more gun.When fishing on a stream you can put a sling on your shotgun and have it crossways on your back to allow you to have both hands free for fishing. My bro-in-law has a nickle plated Mossburg pump that he carries just that way while fishing for salmon. I guess my point is, that I for one would rather pack a shotgun loaded with buckshot over bear spray anytime I'm in bear country. I just wanted to point out that it is very effective and you don't have to aim so precisly to have a devistating effect. Like nickman said take some OO buck loads out to the range and shoot some 55 gal drums, old tires, refrigerators 5 gallon cans filled with water and check out the effectiveness before you claim that it will just piss off a bear. If I was hunting bears I would want to pack the biggest caliber of rifle that I could effectively shoot and keep shooting until he no longer moves.

Bullets for me!! I won't wait around to see if it's a mock charge, I wont be dieing with bullets left in my chamber.

I carry both bear spray and a rifle.i trust bear spray first why it is more effective especally on browns i have been bluff charged 3 times now in all the years that i have worked in se ak and bear spray has worked all three times if i am going into a situation where i know that i have a good chance to have a run-in i bring my slug gun loaded with buck slug slug buck (spawning rivers,moose kills whale and seal kills). the problem with a gun is more times than not you are going to be suprized when being bluff charged or attacked and there is a better chance than not that you will wound a bear and get the chit kicked out of you for wounding it. the bear spray hits the bear and it is like hitting it with a ton of bricks. though bear spray is less effective on black bears that are extreamly food habituated.
bear spray definatly does not work on rutting bull moose i think it actually turns them on i sprayed one in the face and the bull chased me around a tree for 15 minutes i almost gave the guy a lead pill but i survived

bluff is when the bear does not make contact. stops at 10 ft or closer to you or runs by you. it takes a lot of grit to stand your ground with out soiling your pants

i had a female black bear with cubs that i would have to move out of a lodge area. the bear was pretty habituated. i would have to get about 20 feet from her to get into her comfort zone to get her to move on. she would his slober scratch trees and take one step twords me (trying to test me a start of a charge)at the beginning it sucked but i got used to it. i had a pistol on my side and had my bear spray out with the safety off. this bear was well known and used to people and the people i worked with. other bears u got with in 100 yards and they would move on. all bears have differnt comfort zones and tempers. living up there i had to accept the fact that i would have close incounters with bears and try to live with out fear.

At 10 feet, there is nothing but a breathe of air between you and an animal that could take your life.

My point in the article was that it was foolish to try to figure out what a bear would do or was thinking. Is it grit or stupidity to stand your ground without protecting yourself when a bear charges. I gotta tell you, I am not much of a gambler. If it looks like a charge, and it feels like a charge, and it smells like a charge, I am going to defend myself like it is a charge.

To me, after all that I have learned through this process, I will use spray on a bear that is just too close for comfort but not agressive. The curious bear, the bear looking for food in the garbage or in my packs. But a bear that is charging me gets the 12 ga. How close do I let him get before I pull the trigger, don't know but it is more than 10 feet.

I still hope to avoid the whole situation by using my head and giving the bear his space.

If you're going to shoot an animal about 15-20 yards, like some have suggested, you'd kill quite a few animals that intended you no actual harm, IMO. While I agree that we have to defend ourselves, we should also realize that often, the animal is trying to do the same thing, and is quite possibly trying to run you off, not kill you.

My personal belief is that it's somewhere around 10 yards, or perhaps a bit less. Of course, that also depends on what has transpired up to that point. It could be farther, or closer, depending in circumstances.

I am new to bear country, black bears only, but bears nonetheless. I only bowhunt so carrying a rifle or shotgun is out of the question. I was going to buy a pistol for bears but after reading this and knowing that I couldn't hit water from a dock standing still let alone with a bear after me, I guess bear spray would be the best option, right? I don't know anything about sprays so what is a good brand? How do the people who bowhunt on this board protect themselves?

"UDAP"......and until someone SHOWS....as in demos', me a better one, this will be the ONLY brand in our store.

This last fall I took a large black bear (460lbs). I shot it at 70 yards. Upon shooting him he immediatley turned and charged my 10 year old son and I. There was a small draw between us filled with heavy cover. That bear covered 35 yards and disappeared into the brush coming right at us in the blink of an eye. Luckily he didn't come all the way to us. If he had it would have been bad news. After seeing how well that bear sbsorbed the energy from a rifle cartridge and a premium bullet I have come to the conclusion that a pistol will have little effect unless a bullet is placed in a very precise location. The advantage to a side arm over pepper to me is in the fact that you stand a good chance that the bear will be detoured by the combination of the noise and hopefully any pain inflicted provided of course you could actully hit your point of aim. I think the best rule of thumb is to avoid bears unless you are prepared to kill or be killed.

How do you know your in bear country? Because the bear scat has bells in it and smells like pepper spray!

your in idiot just shoot them! unless you just like to play with them? thats your choice but i say just shoot them!

Good observation ORsouthpaw. Years ago a friend of mine and I wanted to kill a black bear with handguns. We had a bear stroll within 30 yards and we both opened fire hitting the bear several times. We followed a great blood trail for a couple hundred yards and then nothing. He travelled half a mile. Luckily we weren't in his path. I guess it all depends on the circumstances. If they want to kill you, they probably will. I've killed two other bears with large bore rifles and both times the bear could have closed the gap really quick had I been close enough and in the way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom