Been pondering those fancy mechanical broadheads...how do you practice with them?

A

alhefner

right now, I'm only using 100g field points for target shooting. Eventually, I will get the right target for practicing with the broadheads I plan to use hunting.

I can see how the "cut on contact" type heads can be used in shooting the right kind of target. They'll cut a good path going in and the arrow can be backed out along that path and with the right target material, won't get all hung up.

But, I read about one of the mechanical types, actually a hybrid of CoC and mechanical, and was wondering just how those do for target practice? Will the mechanism even allow for the removal of the arrow from the target?

Thanks,
Al

I wouldnt try and pull a mechanical broadhead out. Push it allthe way threw. I shoot shwackers and they dont come with a practice head so I just push the arrow all the way threw

You hit on the reason I use a resharpenable COC head. I can put them on and shoot them prior to the hunt with total confidence.

It seems many just screw on a mech head and go hunt without testing. There are a few reasons why it could end up flying funny. Well that does you no good, its hard enough to get a good archery shot and then you have an arrow that doesn't fly right!?

If you use mech heads you can sometimes find a matching practice head or just glue the blades closed on a couple and use them for practice...though, still not as good as above.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom