Ben Stein Provokes the Liberal Wrath

202typical

Long Time Member
Phyllis Schlafly
Ben Stein Provokes the Liberal Wrath
by Phyllis Schlafly
Posted: 05/05/2008

Ben Stein is known to many as an actor on Comedy Central. But the funniest part about his recent movie "Expelled" is not any clever lines spoken by Stein but the hysterical way liberals are trying to discourage people from seeing it.

Stein's critics fail to effectively refute anything in "Expelled"; they just use epithets to ridicule it and hope they can make it go away. However, it won't go away; even Scientific American, which labeled the movie "shameful," concedes that it cannot be ignored.

The movie is about how scientists who dare to criticize Darwinism or discuss the contrary theory called intelligent design are expelled, fired, denied tenure, blacklisted, and bitterly denounced. Academic freedom doesn't extend to this issue.

The message of Stein's critics comes through loud and clear. They don't want anybody to challenge Darwinian orthodoxy or suggest that intelligent design might be an explanation of the origin of life.

Stein, who serves as his own narrator in the movie, is very deadpan about it all. He doesn't try to convince the audience that Darwinism is a fraud, or that God created the world, or even that some unidentified intelligent design might have started life on Earth.

Stein merely shows the intolerance of the universities, the government, the courts, the grant-making foundations and the media, and their determination to suppress any mention of intelligent design.

The only question posed by the movie is why, oh why, is there such a deliberate, consistent, widespread, vindictive effort to silence all criticism of dogmatic Darwinism or discussion of alternate theories of the origin of life? Stein interviews scientists who were blacklisted, denied grants and ostracized in the academic community because they dared to write or speak the forbidden words.

Liberals are particularly upset because the movie identifies Darwinism, rather than evolution, as the sacred word that must be isolated from criticism. But that semantic choice makes good sense because Darwinism is easily defined by Darwin's own writings, whereas the word evolution is subject to different and even contrary definitions.

The truly funny part of the movie is Stein's interview with Richard Dawkins, whose best-selling book "The God Delusion" (Mariner Books, $15.95) established this Englishman as the world's premier atheist. Dawkins is a leading advocate of the theory that all life evolved from a single beginning in an ancient mud puddle, perhaps after being struck by lightning.

Putting aside the issue of evolving, how did life begin in the first place? Under Stein's questioning, Dawkins finally said it is possible that life might have evolved on Earth after the arrival of a more highly developed being from another planet.

Aren't aliens from outer space the stuff of science fiction? And how was the other-planet alien created? According to Dawkins, life must have just spontaneously evolved on another planet, of course without God.

Stein spent two years traveling the world to gather material for this movie. He interviewed scores of scientists and academics who say they were retaliated against because of questioning Darwin's theories.

Stein interviewed Dr. Richard Sternberg, a biologist who lost his position at the prestigious Smithsonian Institution after he published a peer-reviewed article that mentioned intelligent design. Other academics who said they were victims of the anti-intelligent design campus police included astrobiologist Guillermo Gonzalez, denied tenure at Iowa State University, and Caroline Crocker, who lost her professorship at George Mason University.

Stein dares to include some filming at the death camps in Nazi Germany as a backdrop for interviews that explain Darwin's considerable influence on Adolf Hitler and his well-known atrocities. The Darwin-Hitler connection was not a Stein discovery; Darwin's influence on Hitler's political worldview, and Hitler's rejection of the sacredness of human life, is acknowledged in standard biographies of Hitler.

Stein also addresses how Darwin's theories influenced one of the U.S.'s most embarrassing periods, the eugenics fad of the early 20th century. Thousands of Americans were legally sterilized as physically or mentally unfit.

Mandatory sterilization based on Darwin's theories was even approved by the U.S. Supreme Court, with Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes writing his famous line, "Three generations of imbeciles are enough." Stein also reminds us that Margaret Sanger was a eugenicist who wanted to eliminate the races she believed were inferior.

Stein's message is that the attack on freedom of inquiry is anti-science, anti-American, and anti-the whole concept of learning. His dramatization should force the public, and maybe even academia, to address this extraordinary intolerance of diversity.

"Thanks climate PhD 202" - TFinalshot Feb-05-08, 02:16 PM (MST)

Stien is going to make money as long as there are people like 202 wanting to push their agenda, and since it's been going on for over 2000 years I'm thinking Ben hit a gold mine with this one.

I like Ben and I think he's funny, I'll watch the movie when it gets on tv but I'm not about to go pay to hear the same nonsense I get for free.

Says the guy who thinks the earth was created by a fictional character 6,000 years ago.

Hippies are very open minded, that doesn't mean they're right.

>Says the guy who thinks the
>earth was created by a
>fictional character 6,000 years ago.
>
>
> Hippies are very open minded,
>that doesn't mean they're right.

First, can you PROVE he is fictional? Second, who believes the earth was created 6,000 years ago?

Hippies are only open minded on things they believe in, but close minded on the rest. Typical leftest mind set!

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

slow down, I'm still trying to figure how Noah built that ark and got a half million or so animal species to climb aboard and how did he know which ones to drop off where after the flood like in australia or the galapagos, or did they just evolve from primary species? [evolve] and 202 do you really think the world is 6000 yrs old?

WHERE IN THE "H" DID YOU COME UP WITH THE 6,000 YEARS DUDE!!!!

What are you guys talking about? I don't even speak churchese and I know more about the bible than you Charlie Church's? look it up it's everywhere, add the years up in the bible from the genisis deal and you come up with appx 4004 BC.

Google earth age bible and see what you get, some good laughs is what I get. some sites say it's impossible for fossils to be older than about 6000 years, don't play " whatcha talk'in bout " with me it's your story, great stuff I can see why you buy it.

Drats!! Once again the great piper has shut down the argument. I don't know about the rest of you, but I woke up today religious, and will go to bed athiest.

482202db123d214f.jpg

Number one you don't believe in God so this argument goes nowhere. Number two nowhere in the bible does it say how old the earth is. Yes there are some MEN who claim 6,000 years but it is not proven just like the secular belief that the earth is millions of years old is not proven. Try again Dude. Oh and by the way Google is not the Authority on this subject.

That's excactly why you believe, nothing in the bible can be proven or even pinned down to the point it's not open to interpetation. as long as you accept one form or another of an interpretation without question you'll get a cloud to play golf on, I can't buy it, sorry. it is an accepted fact that the earth is around 6000 years old by many christians, if you don't agree then about how old is it? you say nothing existed before god made the big poof and everything appeared as it is today without evolution, so when did that go down?

My point is there is science and lots of proof of evolution over many millions of years, you have a book full of wild tales that shouldn't be questioned. give me a break, I was born at night but it wasn't last night.

You are distorting what I said to fit your twisted views as usual Dude.
Once again I will restate. Maybe you should try reading what I say before you answer.
It does not say in the bible the earth is 6,000 years old. That is fact.
Next you say many christians believe the earth is 6,000 years old. That is your OPINION not a fact. Just like many folks believe the earth is millions of years old. That is an opinion not a fact.
It is also not a fact that the earth is millions of years old. Yes there are men that claim through science they can prove the earth is millions of years old. But that is only true if YOU believe in their science. MAN's science. It all boils down to faith. Faith in God or faith in man.

" My point is there is science and lots of proof of evolution over many millions of years, you have a book full of wild tales that shouldn't be questioned. give me a break, I was born at night but it wasn't last night."

Wild tales eh. Yea I gues the book you believe in where man started as an ameoba, then a tadpole, then a fish, then a walking fish, then a rat, then a monkey, then a space alien impregnated the monkey and the monkey craped out a human. Yea now thats a book we can all believe in. LMAO

Its all about faith Dude and I am truly sorry that you do not have faith in God. I am praying for you though. :)

The earth is millions of years old, that's a proven fact. just for grins how old do you think it is?

Yes all life evolved from lower forms, no question. fossils, dna and carbon dating are more proof than your book can offer for the poof theory. you may have faith but little common sense, what ever floats your boat.

It is more than likely a combination of both God and the evolution to improve the species. Now you both win. Perhaps we could have a little compromise in this place.
No need to thank me.
Driftersifter

Which god? there are about 500 to choose from so which one holds the magic wond?

You are helpless Dude. LMAO Just one more example of a miserable liberal. I swear. LMAO

Thanks Drifter you are right.

> Which god? there are about
>500 to choose from so
>which one holds the magic
>wond?

FSM of course.

-DallanC

202 that's why you'll never win the argument on creationism vs evolution. science trumps blind faith , and I have faith in science so I have both faith and science, top that. or excuse yourself from the debate by calling those who won't mindlessly accept your book as being looney liberals. it's a free country, it's all good.

FSM ?

I meant Hopeless, yes you are hopeless Dude. Do you really want to debate or just keep proving my point?

I'll agree you'll never convince me you're right, if that means it's hopeless for you to try then you're right about one thing.

Isn't it about time for armageddon, the rapture or what ever you call the dooms day thing? when the clouds beam you up and I'm left here with the hob goblins, Muslims or whatever the punishment for not believing is then you'll get the last laugh. until then I'll continue to think you're insane but in a very popular and socially acceptable mannor.

Yes this is going nowhere, but you started it.

Just open your closed mind a little is all I started Dude.

I have a pretty open mind, and I like fiction too. I like Star Trek and you like religion, the difference is I don't believe it and you do. like I said it's a free country, knock yourself out.

LAST EDITED ON May-11-08 AT 08:17AM (MST)[p]This happens everytime you question religion, if you won't believe without question they can't prove anything to you. this is the same stategy that's going to get Obama elected president. it works well, he learned one useful thing from his preacher anyway.

Makes no sense? if a church goer or an Obama supporter either one seriously questioned what they were hearing they'd say WTF? so faith is what keep both popular, don't ask questions just believe. just because the bible is older than Obama doesn't make it non fiction.

This is going nowhere, you've swallowed the hook on the church thing you can't even debate any particular issue, like how old is the earth? you won't touch it. you just have a standard issue awswer to all questions, BELIEVE. I understand why and you all are stuck in the same place, there is no other answer.

As I said 20 post back Dude. This argument will go nowhere. You have bought into the theory of evolution hook line and sinker. You refuse any and all oposing views. I simply posted this thread to maybe get you to open your closed mind a bit.
I am willing to conceede that God and maybe a little of evolution got where we are today.
Open your mind a little that all.

Or like I said more than once already "We will have to agree to disagree"

And like I said, fact trumps faith.

We'll have to agree You're wrong and I'm right, wow am I glad we got that settled.

Yes Dude with your superior knowledge and riteousness you have managed to create an eaqualibrium between the definition of THEORY and FACT.
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your GENIUS!

LMAO
That 82% must be the bunch Obama was talking about "clinging to their guns and religon"

Nobody said being smart was easy, or popular. Galileo could vouch for that, but your world can stay flat if it makes you feel better.

Dude I simply find myself greatful to be in the presence of your Genius.

You have no idea of the magnatude of your Genius. (as I slowly back away bowing and chanting "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy)

202, did you see the letter Albert Einstein wrote in 1954 that sold at auction yesterday for $400,000 ? it says :

" The word of god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness. the bible is a collection of honorable but still primitive ledgends which are never the less pretty childish"

But Einstein was an idiot too right? funny stuff

No I would not use your words and say he was an idiot. However I do feel sorry for him as I do you.

I know. But without me Dude you would have absolutly no reason to turn on your computer in the morning. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom