best arrow shaft for my set up

R

richw

Im shoot and hoyt carbon element 60# 125 grain wacem xt my draw lengh is 27" at this time im shooting easton realtree hardwoods green 400 9.1 gpi im just lookin for info that could better my set up for this season elk hunt Thanks to all

Rich

You could try Easton ACC 440's. The spine would be a little more inline with what you should be shooting. And they are great shooting arrows.

Take out more than you brought in!

I am a fan of a heavier arrow for elk. I shoot Easton FMJ's and love them. I have 6 for sale that would fit your rig just right. IF you are interested shoot me a line, 801-244-8462.

Rich: You may want to consider a half dozen Easton Full Metal Jacket 340's, with Blazer vanes for those elk. 11.2 gr. per inch. They are pricy but worth every penny. We use 27.5 inch with 100gr. and have total arrow weight of around 466gr. For those elk you want to be up there at least aroung 420-440 for good energy penitration. That is my philosphy.. We get total pass throughs at 40yds. Some like lighter arrows but we always have good luck with our setup. We shoot quiet bow's and never have had jump the string issues due to a little slower arrow flight on any game. It's all about sighting in for the arrows and a well placed shot on the game. :)

))))......>

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-11 AT 00:08AM (MST)[p]Rich, from the studies I've read on bow efficiency, bows are most efficient between 7 and 8 grs an inch of arrow weight per pound of draw weight. At 7.5 grs per pound that would give you a 450 gr arrow which will work well for elk.

So what I would do with your set up is use a 7595 Goldtip XT Hunter Black cut at 28.75 shaft length, not to inside of nock - that is extra, but shaft length. Then use a 50 gr brass insert which will greatly strengthen the insert end of the arrow far beyond anything made out of aluminum. That brass insert also helps shaft strength while also raising foc which improves penetration and arrow flight. Use 3 blazer vanes. What you will end up with is a very tough 458 gr arrow that will fly a whole lot better then the underspined 400 you are shooting now.

If you do go to a 400 fmj cut the shafts to 27" and use a head weight of 100 grs. That will be spined correctly and the arrow will weigh 418grs.

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
BF

You are going to want with a 27inch draw length and shooting 125's you need to go with a stiff spine. 340.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom