best AZ caliber?

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
what do ya'll think is the best caliber stricly for AZ? from coyotes to deer both muley and coues to elk and bear? i think 7mags or 300 win mags are REALLY hard to beat! can load em heavy, or load em light for long shots! but it also hard to beat the old trusty 270 (rlh) and 30-06.

my vote would be for a 7mag ( only reason a 7mag over a 300 mag is i have a 7mag and not a 300 mag)

7mags shoot fast and flat and hit like a ton of bricks. very good caliber and it being .274 is right between the .277 and .308.
Casey

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-05 AT 08:51PM (MST)[p]7mm = .284

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

casey, the .270 is the best cartridge on earth and always will be, therefore it's the best in Az. too. now shut up and get back to them banjo lessons. ;)

i knew u were gonna say 270, did you see i added your name next to it? i will admit, i really like the 270, i love my 270 and 270 wsm. now, your client that shot the elk with a 270wsm and 100 grain bullets, was that yuor son?

and ps, i havent gotten that banjo from you so i cant take my lessons! i have contacted my cousins nephews best friends sister in laws husbands brothers kid and he said that his nephew, my cousin thourgh a hitchin would be glad to give me lessons if i pay fer his teeef to get dun up real nice like.
Casey

Casey,
Those banjo lessons have you stressed out. What do you mean ONE chambering?
How many game animals are there for you to pursue? You need a different rifle in a different chambering for each, hence a reason to always get another rifle. Don't forget about a different shooter for each small game and nongame species, too.

Banjo lessons...LOL

RR

varmint and coyotes: .243
deer: 7mag, 270, 270wsm, 7RUM, 30-06
elk: all above
birds: Franchi Alcione, Remington express mag
protection: Remington Rand 1911a1 .45, XD40.
Antelope: 270, 270wsm 7mag, 7RUM

i think im set right?
Casey

Redrabbit has it right, so here it is;
Varmint: 220 swift
Pronghorn: 257 wby or 264 win
Deer: 264 win or 270 wby
Elk : any 300 mag or 340wby,338 ultra mag
or all the above

Casey;
You are going to have to give up all those rifles except for your 270. If you don't, RLH will not allow you in the great state of Arizona. I thought Jack O'Connor died years ago, but RLH would make him proud.

RELH

P.S. I bet you five bucks that RLH has everyone of the books written by Jack O'Connor, and I'll bet you I'm going to catch hades from RLH for believing that the 270 is nothing but a small brother to the 30-06, it's parent case.

.300 Weatherby out of a Mark V Weatherby action. Kills everything deader than a wedge from Yuma clapper rails and Elegant Trogans to big bull Rhinos out to a thousand yards with one shot every time.

Bret M.

this sound like every peterson's hunting artical ever written in the end they all say all are good choices the best being what you can shoot accuratly.......REDUNDANT

who's jack o'connor? i shoot a .270 for one reason. it's the best out there. and cuz my ol' man says so. and everbody knows that the lowly '06 is just a necked up .270. only reason bullwidgeon shoots a .300 is because that's all that he could steal during the LA riots. all the other guns were gone. somebody stoled the .300 weatherbys and brought em back after they realized their mistake.

"who's jack o'connor?"

Thanks! I needed that funny this morning.
(still chuckling):)

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Chef;

I have to agree with you on laughing on that one. RLH asking "who's Jack O'Connor" is like the church pastor asking, who's Jesus Christ. that old fart was reading Jack O'Connor when he was in knickers. so was I, but knickers had gone out of style for quiet a few years.

RELH

.300 Win, if you like a little recoil, .300 Ultra if you like a lot!

Me lookin for a big bull!

I just love those guns that have a BIG bang 30-378 Wthby. Now let me tell you boys that this a rabbit getting son-of-gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom