Best backpacking tent

Jq23

I'm going to be buying a new tent soon and I'm looking for a good 3 season 3 or 4 person backpacking tent. Just wondering what you guys would recommend? Eureka, Kelly, Coleman..?

Thanks

3 season for 3 -4 people, in a lightweight backpacking tent.

Pretty tall ask.

Best bet is a tipi seek outside, titanium goat, kifaru, wyoming lost and found, ect.

You could go hilleberg, but all these options are a bit spendy.

Still, you want to get that many people into a backpacking tent that is warm enough to go early and late, I think a tipi is your lightest option.

We put 3 guys and all our gear in a titanium goat tipi in the uintas. Weighs under 3 pounds.

Might be an option for you.

I bought a Kelty this year and had planned on high country back packing and early season hunts. Well, I just used it in Wyoming on my deer hunt with rain and snow and wind. Held up well. Wasnt really warm by any means, but it was 6 pounds and kept us dry. It was a 3 man tent. Perfect for 2 though.

If you want the "BEST" tent, then it is probably a Hilleberg.
If you want a very good tent then many companies make tents that work well.

KUIU
Big Agnes
Marmot
Easton
BadLands
Many more.

Things that are important to me in a back packing tent:
Light, Self Standing, big vestibule, good door opening, hangers on the inside.

Good luck!

Backpacking implies that everyone is carrying their own gear, so 3-4 man tent doesn't add up to me unless one guys is packing extra.
That being said, there are good suggestions here.
+1 to bowhunt's list
I recently packed a 2 man KUIU on a sheep hunt that worked very well.

You usually get what you pay for in tents.

If you want the best bang for your buck, I would look into a Kelty tent. (make sure it has aluminum poles)

Big Agnes in whatever size you need!

I used and carried a 2 man in the NWT on a Dall sheep/caribou hunt, a couple years ago, and returned and bought a copper spur 3 for me and the wife to play with. I've since used it on 3 other sheep hunts and love the size, weight and ease with which it sets up. Because of another's tent failure, we have slept 3 guys in it and it was okay.

BUT what's the BEST? I have no idea.

There's my 2 cents.
Zeke

Think lightweight and go with a Tarptent. I have the one man Protrail and they have lots of other models. They are actually made in this country.

just sayin...mh

We just finished reviews on several Big Agnes tents:
Blacktail, Mountain Glo, and Rattlesnake.

Very impressed with all 3 of them.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-15 AT 03:44PM (MST)[p]

First of all, if you bought a 4 person tent, it would not be nearly big enough for 4 people. Yes, you can get 4 people to sleep in that tent, but that uses 100% of the floor space.

So, now you have a very crowded tent with NO place to put anything but bodies. And how do the middle two guys get up in the middle of the night?? Crawl over you? And where does your clothes and other gear go? Where does you gun or bow go to stay out of the weather?

I have a 4 person backpacking tent (Cabelas brand) that comes in at around 8.5 lbs. It is just right for 2 people and has two doors which is nice as well.

So if I were doing it, I would buy 2(two) 4 person tents less than 8-9 lbs each and you will have room for 4 guys and their clothes/gear. It is also more versital in the future if you only have 2-3 guys going somewhere. In a pinch, a 4 person could be ok for 3, but would be crowded

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom