Best Bang for the Buck (binos)

jr8fish

I am interested in getting a new pair of binos.... My Dad loves his swarovski's but unfortunately, my wife absolutely refuses to let me get a piece of glass that is so expensive. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought are the best binocular brand and model (best bang for the buck)? I can spend approximately $500 (give or take a few hundred)... I can get bushnell glass at a discount... how does bushnell elite rank on your list? I have always used Nikon (but am not partial to them).

I have the Zen Ray ED2 8x43's and love them. I haven't looked thorugh anything under $1000 that is any better. They now have the ED3's that I am sure are even better, they also have 10x43 models. With a price close to $400 you won't be disappointed.

Ok...I have never been able to talk anyone into these, but they are the absolute best out there. I have a pair of Fujinon FMTRC-SX 7X50's, These are a bit heavy compared to most, but they are amazing. They have independent eyepiece focusing, which sounds wierd, but in all reality, what it means is that you never need to focus! They have flat plane imaging (I have no idea what that means), but they are crystal clear and everything is always in focus. You can glass multiple hillsides at different distances at the same time. My dad had a pair of these and then finally bought me some a few years ago. They are indestructible, waterproof, etc. They are actually a marine binocular and mine has the compass (which I cannont live without) With my GPS and rangefinder I can project points as far as I can get a range, and they are very accurate, which is great for putting on stalks that involve going all the way around something and approaching from behind. These are about $600 at the high end with rubber armor and compass etc.

I always wanted more magnification so I bought the 10X50's about a month ago. They are amazing, but do produce a fair amount more eye strain because of the magnification. They are a disadvantage to use holding. You really need to be sitting with your elbows on your knees glassing to stabilize them enough. I think 10X for an all around binocular is too much.

I spot more stuff with my 7X50's than anyone I hunt with. There is virtually no eye strain with these. Great field of view means you don't have to have the patients to glass a hillside in a hundred different sections. They have more eye relief than any other binocular made.

I have optics (mostly scopes) in leupold, burris, zeiss, swarovski, nightforce. I have looked through swarovski and leica and zeiss binoculars and I don't think they are superior to my fujinons, but they are lighter. The biggest thing that I notice with my Fujinons is that there is no eye strain. Even with $2000 binoculars you have to have everything focussed just right and perfectly to avoid eye strain.

I think I am rambling now and not being very technical, but these truly are amazing. You just pick them up and everything is crystal clear and in focus and I routinely spot stuff like barbary sheep at 1.5-2 miles and coues deer to a mile. You really have to use them to appreciate them though.

Danny

There has been quite a bit of hype on the birder forums over the Zen-Ray Prime HDs which are due out in May. They will have an MSRP of around $700, but you should be able to get them under $600. The birder are calling them alpha killer since they are trying to duplicate the production processes of the big 3.

They are a little out of my price range but I might consider buying a pair if the reviews are as good as the hype. If not, I will probably go with the Vanguard Endevour. They get good reviews, and only cost around $350.

I have not seen any reviews on the Fijinons mentioned above.

I would definitely wait on the Zen Ray Prime HD's to see if they're worth all the hype. My guess would be that they will be better than expected, but I'd wait to see it with my own eyes. You don't have to spend $1000 to get first rate glass anymore.

I'll sell you my ED2 Zen Ray 8x43's for $250. I love the hell outta these binos but I'm upgrading to the Prime's when they come out...

~Z~

vortex talons are pretty aweome for 450 10x42. they have the 100% warranty too unlike the zen rays... i think they are identical to the zr ed3 personally but others argue. plus you will not regret the lifetime warranty.

If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you check them for a pair of Burris Euro Diamonds in 10x42. They came out about 5 years ago at $1000, the SLC store had one pair left at $399. I snatched em up :)

I compared them side by side with the $1200 Razor HD's and they were very close, certainly much better than the Viper HD's I demoed last season.

2a0fcsk.gif

I have the 10 X 50 Leupold Mojave and they are good and My wife has Bushnell Legend 10 X 42 and they have been real good Binos. Still like my Swaros better, but both of them are real good glass for the money.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom