Best bullet for Coyotes

I have been shooting quite a few coyotes this year using my 22-250. I have been running into a problem of too much damage from the 22-250. I have tried the 50gr nosler ballistic tip, 50 gr sierra soft point, and the 55 gr FMJ. No doubt they do the job of killing the coyote but I want a bullet that's not going to come out. What do you guys use when your hunting fur?

>I have been shooting quite a
>few coyotes this year using
>my 22-250. I have been
>running into a problem of
>too much damage from the
>22-250. I have tried the
>50gr nosler ballistic tip, 50
>gr sierra soft point, and
>the 55 gr FMJ. No
>doubt they do the job
>of killing the coyote but
>I want a bullet that's
>not going to come out.
>What do you guys use
>when your hunting fur?

I've gad good luck with bergers and Barnes varmint grenades.

Good luck on your search. You might be searching along time! I use the nosler 55btip. It's tough to keep a bullet inside a coyote. I have shot a lot over the years and sometimes they don't exit, but most of the time they do. I think it has to do more with where you hit them and the speed of the bullet on impact. If you reload you can take a little off of them. I have shot some with the btip where I have to look for a hole and others that are probably not appropriate to show a picture of. If you want a pin hole the fmj should be doing that, but then again there is no way I would even consider using them.

See and I am using fmj now and still getting a large exit hole so I'm thinking the velocity is way to much maybe I need a smaller caliber but I like how the 22-250 drops them in their tracks there is no blood trailing

You could shoot a 17 or 204, but I think you already have one of the best caliber's there is for dogs. I know someone that skins them out and he swears by the 204.

I'll second the .204 I have one it never has exited a dog small entry holes and it crushes em. Once again bergers or Barnes varmint grenades. It's fast and flat gun that I love. I never could get a tiny hole with my 22-250 unless the dog was beyond 200 yards. Most of my shots are 100 or less. I've had really good luck with the .223 and varmint grenades other bullets put a good sized hole in em still.

You might try the vmax also.

I just started shooting the 40 grain band in my 222. Only got one tote with it but less than 100 yards and no exit

best bullet for coyotes.......one that has been fired and is about to impact one of the suckers

>best bullet for coyotes.......one that has
>been fired and is about
>to impact one of the
>suckers

I agree with your statement but when the coyotes are averaging $50 a piece a guy wants to avoid excess damage if possible. So long as they end up dead it's a success the money for the fur is just icing on the cake

I live where you might run into a wolf, or a lion while hunting coyotes, so I started using 53 gr. Barnes TXS bullets. Very accurate and great penetration. The exit hole is rarely bigger than a 50 cent piece and usually a lot smaller. So very easy to sew up.

I wanted to take a scalp,but the kill was not mine.

Bergers or Barnes varmint grenades, they should be the ticket.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-14 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]I use a .223 55 grain Remington corelok bullet turns to fragments with in a few inches of entrance and if any thing comes out the other aside it's small fragments.

Another vote for the Barnes 53gr. TSX and a .223 if yu are trying to save hide.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

I shoot the Hornady 55gr Superformance.

Like as has been mentioned above, they enter, explode like a grenade, with little to no exit wound.

I've shot yotes with a full metal jacket .223 and had them run off like nothing was wrong. With these other bullets, they rarely do anything other than collapse. Sometime you can even get the stiff-legged-tip-over, (which is my favorite pose) if you get a good frontal shot.

If you really want to save the hides, 12 gauge 4 shot works wonders too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom