best dog training?

got my kiddos a chocolate lab pup and looking to start training him.. wondering what you fellow dog owners have used to train your pups for hunting and basic stuff? books, dvds, etc.

So if guns kill people, I suppose pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat...

check this site out it has everything about dogs on it...
duckhuntingchat.com

I bought a silver/chocolate lab a few years ago. I have never owned or trained a dog. I heard about this book or that book and videos, which were all good. One that most told me about was Gun Dog or water Dog (?) by Walters. I skimmed through it. But I talked to people the most that had trained dogs. Spend time every day with them and be CONSISTANT with commands. But it all depends on what you want for your dog. My dog is great at fetching/retrieving. He has an amazing nose. Great swimmer. He is a little hyper, but after a few minutes he is fantastic. He has keyed me in on a few ducks that I did not see by looking at them and getting my attention to look.

Last year at the age of 2, I shot a pheasant and knocked it down but not hard. So we saw where he landed and went after him. I kept my dog close till we got to the area and let him loose. He sniffed out the rooster and as it flew up, he jumped and caught it out of the air. I wish it was on film cuase it was Sweet. He stays close to me when working fields.

SOOO, after all that talk, JUST STAY CONSISTANT with commands and work him every day. YOu might get 5 minutes at first, and that is OK. As he gets older, extend it 7, 10, 15 and even 20 minutes in the yard. I LOVE MY DOG!!!

1323961099.jpg

1321023449.jpg

Well, you asked.......

Allow your kids to pick him up, crawl all over him, sleep with him and roughhouse with him, as much as they want. With the exception of jumping up and putting his feet on them. Hard to break, once it begins and it is NEVER a good thing.

One of the most important things you HAVE to do is to establish his position in the family "pack" and that way, if you do not nut him, he will not have kid issues later, when testosterone kicks in and he wants to assert his authority.

Basic obedience training is a must also and there is NO age so early that those...or any... lessons cannot begin.

Go to a local trap club and get as close to the firing line as possible. In the parking lot, play with your pup while the guys are shooting. Ignore the noise and he will almost immediately ignore it also.

It helps if you have a friend with a seasoned dog to go along. Same with swimming. They learn things from the reaction and response of other dogs, much faster than humans can teach them.

I have taken a LOT of heat for that one, but I have broke several "gun shy" dogs, in just a few trips to the gun club.

One other thing, keep him in a kennel crate at night. If you start this early, you will never have issues with him when traveling.

Also.......NEVER HIT YOUR DOG WITH ANYTHING!!!!

You want him to love and respect you and your family, not fear you.

When the pup bites, or nips, you can roll his lips into his mouth and make him bite himself till he whines. He will stop the biting soon enough.

If you have a behaviour issue....and you will....pick a word, or a hiss sound and use it CONSISTANTLY whenever he does something you don't like. He will soon learn that you ain't happy when you use it and he will want to avoid hearing that.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

This is my 14th lab I have trained by myself. We don't have the deer like many of you in the west do but we have awesome bird hunting. Pheasants, Chicken, grouse, ducks and geese are all abundant so my dogs get a lot of work.

I started with the James Lamb Free books in the late 70's and still don't think anything is better. Training Your Retriever is one an I think Family Dog he has probably 4 books maybe more. He is dead now but he knew dogs spot on. That's where I would start.

You'll get better and so will your dogs I'm not sure if its the luck of the draw or possibly I'm getting better but my 4 year old female is the best gun dog I've had to date. Good luck enjoy the ride.

All great advise, the best thing you can do for a dog is spend time with it ALWAYS! If you get a good relationship with the dog he will do whatever he can to please you and with that alot of behavior issues never even show up so you don't have to correct them.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

The best video anything for a young dog. Is by far Bill Hilman's puppy and fetch DVD's they are foung at hawkeyemedia.net and are incredibly educational. I have trained a few dogs and this video made training my newest black lab the easiest I have ever found. Covers from start to a great hunting dog.

Dave

duckhuntingchat.com is ok but retrievertraining.net/forums is definitely the best.
I went with the smartworks system. Most all the complete systems (smartworks, total retriever training, hillman) are great just stick with them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom