Best Knife for Cleaning around $100 to $150 dollars.

Thumper

I would like to ask the experts on this forum on the best knife for field dressing a mule deer. I told myself last season that it will be the last year to use a sub par knife. Is it possible to get a great knife for $100 to $150 that you swear by using for mule deer. If there is one that's less than $100 please let us know that as well.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Thumper

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-16 AT 10:19AM (MST)[p]

I use this to skin, quarter, and bone out elk deer and antelope. 50 of the 60a replacement blades are about what the knife costs. 60a are stiffer than 60xt. U can skin, quarter and bone an elk with a single blade. The knife comes with a dozen blades and nylon case and the whole thing weighs about 3 ounces.
Knifecenter.com has em for $32.95. Good luck!

http://www.thebestbestsellers.com/product/havalon-piranta-folding-knives/

I also hear good things about handmade knives by relh, a regular poster here. Check the classifieds here or pm him.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/brand/47/Havalon-Knives

Havalon knife for past eight plus years for me. Past on too a dozen of my hunting friends and all we use.

All you need for field dressing, quartering, caping, ect.

One of them tools that you have no idea how you managed before you had it.

I agree 100%. As an outfitter, I gut at least 20-30 critters per year. A Havalon makes it a whole lot easier. Just be careful because they are really sharp. Seems like I nick myself every year.

Havalons are great.

However, I've switched to Outdoor Edge. They have a similar knife as Havalon, without the breakable blades. Plus they are much easier to change blades. And their blades are resuable, havalon you pretty much toss 'em.

Just my opinion after using both. The outdoor edge will run about $40 I think.

If I was an outfitter or professional hunter then you bet the Havalon all the he way. However I am neither but instead an average Joe. My preference would be just about any Buck knife. Every single Buck I have has field dressed and carved up all our game in the field. Then back at camp or home I'd touch it up and be ready for the next day or hunt. In my mind this then turns into something I share with my family while creating a skill, heriage, and cutlery heirloom.

However in the end its still based upon person preference. Good luck...

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I agree that knives are like fine guns that can be passed down. I own a nice double set from a knife maker that are awesome. Steel that holds an edge and is easy to touch up and keep sharp. I also own a havolon. But my custom knives get most of the work these days. Good steel is expensive, but it will be in the family forever.

I've had several Buck knives over the years and really like the Gerber with the interchangeable blades and saw. Last year I couldn't find my Gerber and bought the Havalon. Can't go wrong with them. The sharpness of the blade and a handle that will not slip when wet are a must. I prefer smaller blades. My daughter and her husband gave me a custom made knife for Christmas, so it'll get used on my next hunt.

I have a couple of custom knives made by RELH, a regular poster here on MM. You can check his knives out on his Facebook page at Hatfield Knives. You don't have to belong to Facebook to see his page. I also have a Havalon but the customs are a true piece of art.

#60 scalpel blade. I can cut up and clean an entire deer with one. Only costs 30 cents. No sawmill needed. 20 plus handle are lighter than traditional knife. I have several knives. Most won't be handed down to my children. I use my knives so much I wear them out and toss them. I buy fewer to replace them. Why buy more when the #60 does more better faster.

I agree with many here on the havalon. I prefer the 22xt blades for skinning though. The 60xt's are good for opening cuts and joints and then the 22's for the rest. I also always have my leatherman with me.

havalon. I have cricket, buck, kershaw, gerber, and many more. i always carry one of these for survival. but for cleaning havalon are the best for me.

+1 on the Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze (RB-20)

Totally agree w/Smitty. Go into the store and hold both the havalon and outdoor edge in your hands. I felt more comfortable being able to change the outdoor edge blade w/one hand.

+1 on the Cutco. I use a double D edge drop point. In the last 15 months I have gutted and completely cut up 10 elk. I can go through 6-7 elk with out sharpening a knife. The issues with the double D edge is has to be sent to the factory to be sharpened. Cutco has a free lifetime sharpening. This cost a few bucks to send it in. Also the ones I have sent in haven't held their edge like a new one. A new on is less then a $100 and they have sales as low as $70. They are sharp enough that if you are not careful you end up with bone chips in your meat. Awesome knife, you can see me use one in a video my son put on you tube a couple years ago.

Good knife is worth its weight in Gold.

DZ

You can cut with almost any old knife but you really have something if it makes you feel like you're cutting with something special. Only a custom knife can do that for me. I've commissioned a knife build for all my kids when they first hunted big game. They know the feeling!
Many knife makers can whip up something sweet for around the $150 mark, if you're so inclined.
It won't get you all the little nicities for $150 but it would get you something special that your heirs will hang on to.
Remember, there are tools and then there are TOOLS. Only you can know the difference and if it matters to you or not.
Zeke

Plus 1 more

"+1 on the Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze (RB-20)"

"Totally agree w/Smitty. Go into the store and hold both the havalon and outdoor edge in your hands. I felt more comfortable being able to change the outdoor edge blade w/one hand."

All you gerber fans do realize that gerber supports any hunting and ranching groups like Oregon wild.
Just an FYI!

I also agree with the havalon.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-16 AT 09:09PM (MST)[p]I have a havalon and the outdoor edge version. They are sharp but not rigid . I don't think they are a do all type of knife blade. Can't cut threw ribs or bone. I have a few of Hatfield knifes and they can do it all. They keep a edge better then a buck knife and are really like a fine work of art. I can do a complete elk without resharpening. They will last more then a lifetime. Unlike a plastic knife.

I thought I had used good knives until I had a customer knife made by Hatfield. WOW! just feels great in your hand, and is so sharp it is scary.
I have cut up and caped 2 elk, and 2 mule deer with no sharpening. Just unreal!
I have used many havalons, and still do on occasion...but as ZEKE has pointed out, there is nothing quite like a custom knife.

RHL is the best!

For about 75 bucks the new havalon Titan rocks, it has one heavy blade on one side, and replaceable blades on the other, i used one last year, it does it all, a little heavier than a piranha but thats a small trade off...

>I thought I had used good
>knives until I had a
>customer knife made by Hatfield.
>WOW! just feels great in
>your hand, and is so
>sharp it is scary.
>I have cut up and caped
>2 elk, and 2 mule
>deer with no sharpening. Just
>unreal!
>I have used many havalons, and
>still do on occasion...but as
>ZEKE has pointed out, there
>is nothing quite like a
>custom knife.
>
>RHL is the best!

Agreed!!! I did 3 elk with my Custom Bolduc knife and was still sharp..I use to have to switch out knives half way through one elk...Awesome knives!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom