best long range setup

bingo

So I went out shooting with a friend of mine yeasterday and he introduced me to the world of long range shooting. He set me up on a 1 gallon milk jug at 1005 yards away. I exploded it first shot. I then proceeded to shoot them at 900, 650 and then the 'easy ones' at 350 and in. I was dumb founded to say the least. I am curious what others are doing for their long range setups. His setup is: Weatherby 30.378 with Zeiss 6.5x20 using the turrets and custom accubond loads.
I plan on doing the same thing unless I can find something that is a little better for all around hunting situations, even if it means having a system that has a max 600-800 yard range. What I mean by all around is: lighter weight gun, closer zoom (6.5 is pretty far for close shots)
For example, I am wondering if a 300 win mag with a 4x16 scope and custom reloads could achieve this?
Any thoughts??

Just take the old 30-30 and sneak within 50 yards. Then you'll be called a "real hunter", instead of a sniper like me.

I like his setup it very simlilar to mine 30-378 with leupold 4.5x14 50mm SF BDC turrets set for 165 gr. 3600 fps.

Rem Sendaro SS Bull Barrel 7mm Rem Mag
Leopold 4 1/2x20 50mm with Turrets and B&C Plex
Rem Brass, CCI Bench Rest primers, RL22, Nosler Accubonds

Lots of time at the range and at the reloading bench...never had to shoot over 450 yards but I know that Im good out to 1000 meters at a Military man size target.

I forgot to tell what I use: I have a Remington Sendero Stainless Fluted, with a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm Long Range scope mounted in those Burris Signature rings with those offset bushings so the scope is angled to allow bullet drop at those longer distances. It is chambered in .300 Weatherby, and I handload my own special ammo using Nosler's 200 grain Accubond bullet. I have developed my own bullet drop turrets that are set up for this particular load and adjusted for varying conditions like altitude, barometric pressure, temporature, incline or decline angle, etc, etc, in the field. I won't take a shot if the wind is more than a light breeze. The rest must be solid with very little or no movement in the crosshairs. The animal has to be completely relaxed and unaware of my presence, and preferably bedded for the day. That way I'll have the time to double or triple check my settings and I always try to have a spotting partner to call the shots and follow up after the shot.

So far, I've taken an antelope in Wyoming at 585 yards, and a small muley at around 450, and my youngest son has used this setup to kill his first spike Elk at 25 yards - he had to leave both eyes open to see where he was aiming.

This long range stuff is definately not for everyone, but if you're willing to put in the long hours of load developement and calculations that are necessary to get your equipment tuned, then the countless hours you'll need to practice in all possible scenarios so you'll know your personal limitations, you should have a little success. Good Luck, and stay ethical.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-08 AT 08:11PM (MST)[p]In a nutshell, they are finger adjustable dials that mount to the windage and elevation screws on your scope. There are generic ones, and some that are precisely calibrated to your particular load by the scope manufacturer. mtmuley dleonard, How did you develope your own custom turrets for such a wide range of field conditions?

"bullet drop turrets" or bullet drop compensators is a custom knob that replaces the verticle target knob on your scope.

You customize it based on your exact load (velocity, grains, B.C., altitude, etc).

Then you just range target and turn knob to yardage.

You can do the same thing with MOA or clicks (What I prefer)

There's free software on the net where you can create a basic drop chart for your load and then practice with it.

I also like the 30-378 and the 300 RUM. knock down power at 500 yards is impressive. Plus heavier bullets mean less wind drift.

nochawk,
where do you find a Leupold 4.5 X 20 scope? I cant seem to find that scope anywhere on Leupolds website

There is a guy in Idaho that does custom builds. His name is Shawn Carlock and runs defensive edge gun shop. He builds a gun called the .338 edge. I have heard really great things about this gun and it's preformance. I personally have a remington pss that has a leupold 4-14 on it and have really good success with it. i also have a .270wsm (currently for sale) that has done very very will also. It has a luepold 6-18 on it. The longest big game kill with this wepon was 749 yards on a mule deer. One shot, one kill. good luck.

Bingo

They may not make it anymore, I got and built all that about 7 years ago, it is a ongoing process, like changing from Barnes x-bullets to the Nosler Accubonds, and I changed from IMR 7828 to RL22, and Im thinking of going to a Sightron scope and a 2 piece scope base..always tinkering with it.

Yes it could achieve it. I would buy a Zeiss Rapid Z 800 3.5-10x44 in there Conquest model. I think you can match a 300 win mag with the right bullet to the scope. I don't like the turrets set up because you have to adjust them to the distance (yards). I like the scopes that are already set up for the rifle and bullet.

Here's a photo of my grouping at 600 yards with my 30-378.

488cfe3b48d26c40.jpg

Remington 700 XCR chambered in 300 WM.Custom muzzle break with a 2.5 lb trigger. Leupold Vari XIII with a custom BDC turret. I shoot a hand load pushing a 180 grain accubond.Jugs at 600-700 yds are no problem.5/8 groups at 100 yds.

MIke

I wouldn't call that a long range rifle. The .308 doesn't have the power to push a heavy bullet fast enough to retain the energy needed to kill large animals effectively at long range. Also, the scope looks like a small objective (doesn't gather light), and probably a low power. I still like the gun. It would be a great varmint rifle.

Long range hunting can be very addictive and very expensive. For your first outing I'd say pick up a 7mm rem mag maybe a Rem Sendero-You don't need a big magnum to get going. and add some reliable glass- Leupold 4.5-14x50, or Nightforce 3-15x50, Huskemaw 5-20x50. Learn to reload and shoot a ton. You'll need to learn how to dial for elevation correction and use your reticle for wind adjustments. I'd also recommend a class. You might go to Longrangehunting.com and get some pointers there. Good luck.

If you have target turrets from Leupold, Zeiss, Swarovski, Burris:

www.kentonindustries.com

You need to give them: caliber, velocity, weight and b.c. of bullet, zero range, altitude, temp, etc.

I've looked into these but didn't go with them so I can't comment how well they work.

I use the factory target turrets with a drop chart from a ballistics calculator.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom