best (lying d-bags) of the west

lip_curl

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-15 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]i was just looking through the pics and vid clips on my cpu desktop. i just ran across a couple i had saved last year that really chap my hide. it was a best o' west episode where huskemaw rep shane gerh. was hunting elk in wyoming. they mentioned it was a draw unit and showed some footage of a gorgeous 380ish bull elk sniffin some cows on a steep finger ridge w/ some very very unique dead snag trees behind him. they showed the footage and then showed an interview w/ shane and he looked right in the camera and said he passed on the bull because it just wasn't big enough. Now mind you, no one in their right mind would pass this bull on public land...ever, not in the best draw unit in the u.s. I dont think he ever did tag a bull on that episode. I dismissed it as a little weird and the episode found its place in my dvr. 6 months later, im watching another episode and they are filling air time w/ one of their little "how to" segments talking about wind drift and BC. at the end, they cut to some footage of the same previously mentioned bull (standing in front of the same unique dead snags) taking a bullet in the spine and his hind end dropping out from him, then they cut away. when they cut away, the bull is still up on his front legs, headed down a steep finger ridge. i rewound both episodes and watched them in slow mo. It was the same bull by the same unique dead snags in both clips. The obvious conclusion is that they wounded the bull and never found him.

Personally, im insulted that they think the general public wouldn't catch a detail like this. ( I would post the clips, but apparently that is copyright infringement) Ill never buy a product from a company that just blatantly lies to the public. If they are willing to lie about this, do i trust their quality? absolutely not.

I don't doubt what you're saying about the poor editing between episodes to add excitement to a boring episode but how does someone not recover a paralyzed animal? What did they end up killing?

What gets people in Trouble these days?

BRAGGIN!

BRAGGIN with Pics!

BRAGGIN with footage!

The Good Ole Internet!

We also have a few Hunters here in Utah that won't even think of shootin a 380" DINK/PISSCUTTER!

I Guess after You've Shot/Took Numerous Bulls that Big or Bigger it Ain't a Big thing!

But Ya!

I know what you're sayin,Most all of us would shoot that Bull in a Second!

I'm a Thinkin if everybody knew about 1/2 the EDIT Jobs on these Shows they'd Change their Tune!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Its my opinion that most of these celebrities consider the meat as more of a problem that a blessing. I am sure that if you are hunting from State to State for months at a time the logistics of keeping the meat would be about impossible. Celebrities find themselves above the ethics and values of us commoners. Those that don't get and deserve our respect. I enjoy watching good Hunting shows but I see these folks for the most part as not being one of us. As being Not My Kind of People!
J_T_B

wish you could post it, would like to see it. I have a rifle I shoot at long distance and with good conditions its not as hard as people think, with that being said shooting long distance (over 500 yards) animals will get wounded its just a fact.

I agree with what your saying. But at least they didn't show the bad shot on the TV show for all the Anti's to bash hunters . It's pretty sad that they would lie and deceive people about it. They could have very well not shown the wounded animal but shown that in the end they killed it. Hopefully they did if it was broken down in the hind end. It will be a whole lot worse if they didn't go after it and put it down.

You mean to tell me someone wounded and lost a bull with a 1000+ yard shot.
No way I don't believe it, no one ever misses at that range.

If it takes My Bullet 7 seconds to reach the Animal it's gonna take me a while to get there & locate Him!:D

Wounding animals and losing them or even not recovering them quickly is always a bad deal. I'm not a huge fan of the Best of the West, but man there is A LOT of assumptions being posted.

Hunted with my brother in law two years ago. We passed a couple bulls early in the hunt that were north of 370. Both were shot later in the hunt 5 x 6 scored 372 and 6x6 371. Brother in law never even chambered a bullet. Said he wasn't shooting until late in the hunt cause he was having too much fun. Ended up with a 350 the last weekend. I'll be hunting with a buddy on SJ this Sept. Won't surprise me in the slightest if he lets 380 bulls walk early in the hunt.

Editing and telling a story is all part of the TV gig. Some may not like it but we all seem to keep tuning in. I believe a couple months ago some on here asked that we all consider editing our photos and stories on this site to leave out shot distance and such. When you put anything out there in this day and age of technology it is going to be judged. We are our own worse enemies.

I let a 370 bull walk on my hunt last year, I was most definitely not in my right mind ;-)

2a0fcsk.gif

You think Best of the West is bad.... thank heavens that FMP (Full Moon Productions) is a thing of the past!

Those guys took those 80-100+ yard shots on deer and antelope and consistently wounded them. Immediately after the shot you'd see their quiver... minus one arrow. Then after an edited tracking job the animal was found... quiver down several more arrows. the best part was the FMP chest pounding that went on about how amazing they were with the long distance shots and their arm charts and slope doping, etc...

Wounding is part of the game. Nobody likes it. The problem arises when an incompetent shooter/incompetent setup decide to dance the long distance waltz in conditions far beyond their limitations.

I have enjoyed shooting steel out to 1,000 yards. I have enjoyed killing game out to 500 yards. I hope all can enjoy hunting in the best way they see fit but also hope to see them enjoying a resource that could be easily eliminated by hunting within their limitations etc.

i just watched the clip again. I can hear jim sessions say "after several days in the high country and several days of glassing, shane had finally found a bull that we was going to take". They show him dry firing a couple of times and he dials his scope to 275. from the angle it looks like they are right above the elk, im under the impression it was 275, not 1275. and to clarify, in the other clip where the bull is hit, his hind end goes down, but there is no way to tell if he paralyzed or not, watching again, i see at least one hind leg working as he tries to get to his feet before they cut away.

This was filmed in wyoming, not arizona or utah or nevada or someplace known for 400" bulls. (wyoming only has 2 bulls over 390 entered in the record book in the last 15 years)
Ill never believe someone would pass this bull in wyoming.

ill be the last guy to condemn long range shooting. And yes, unfortunately animals do get wounded. Lying about it and using the footage to promote products and increase corporate profits crosses a line w/ me personally. In my opinion, the footage should never have been shown. period.

This show went for a big slide when aaron davidson left.
talking to him at the expo a couple years ago, sounds like he left for some good reasons. John Porter seems like a stand up guy, i wonder why he still risks being associated with this crew.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-15 AT 08:32PM (MST)[p]What bullets are BOTW using currently? Cmon lipcurl you know stuff. mtmuley

Bergers last I knew?

Is there a Bullet that doesn't Wound due to Piss Poor Shooting?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-15 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]they were promoting bergers at the time. their little how to segment where the bull was hit showed a pic of a berger and they were demonstrating spin drift.

now they claim to make the same shots w/ ABLRs...but knowing that they have no integrity...they may still be using bergers for all we know.

ill use what flies best.
BOTW doesnt endorse berger anymore.

the guy i have a problem w/ specifically sells Humpmyma scopes. i wont ever own one of those...for this reason, and people formerly associated w/ the program have told me in person that their reliability is crap.

I have seen this on the same show more than once! One episode they showed a bulled shot, knocked off its feet then just as the animal starts to get up they cut to a dead on the ground animal, the bull shot was a 6x6 and the bull on the ground was a 5x6 and in slightly different country! Had a friend who used to film for an unnamed long distance show and said recovery rate vs. shot rate was around 30%! I have no need anymore for most hunting shows! They are in it for the wrong reasons!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-15 AT 11:17PM (MST)[p] I agree it is B.S. the sad part is 99% of these hunting shows do the same thing. They only show the good stuff to make themselves and their products look good, editing the bad shots.
A few years back i was on a archery elk hunt with a very popular hunting show host. At lunch we were shooting bows and B.S'ing. The subject came up about Rage broad heads and they are one of the biggest sponsors of the show. To my surprise he said he didn't trust them, hates them, and only uses them because they fork out the $$$.
I'm not a fan of BOTW and they have gone down hill since Aaron left. But... my Huskemaw is just as reliable and deadly as my nightforce.

West of the Best (AKA: Best of the West) uses both bergers and Accubonds LR. Depends which one shoots best out of the rifle they have that day.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I notice when they take clients they go on how the guy/kid has never shot this weapon before. What happened to knowing your weapon?

Also some guides pack these rifles with a huskacrap scope or a nightforce and the they brag how the client had never shot a gun like this and they used it.

>I notice when they take clients
>they go on how the
>guy/kid has never shot this
>weapon before. What happened to
>knowing your weapon?
>
>Also some guides pack these rifles
>with a huskacrap scope or
>a nightforce and the they
>brag how the client had
>never shot a gun like
>this and they used it.
>

That is one of the things that used to really disgust me when I watched them Michael. They are strictly out to sell equipment and by doing that they make it seem to the average guy that all he has to do is go buy that setup and a box of shells and he's all set to kill a buck or bull at 1000 yards!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom