best powders for 7mag

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
hey there! i just got me a 7 mag not too long ago. i loaded up a bunch of loads and hit the range with redrabbit. when i had shot, i hadnt free floated the barrel, or tuned the trigger yet. now both of those are done and i am wondering what powder you folks suggest. i have loaded some h4350, h4831sc, and R22. the bullet i would like to use is either a 140 accubond, 160 accubond or 139 interbond, i do not have any interbonds on hand but do have the above accubonds. the 140's would be my bullet of choice and might mix in some 120 TSX if i relaly want it to scream for coues deer or coyotes.

the first range trip, shooting 12 different loads, only produced 2 groups under an inch. they were: 68 grains of R22, with 139 iterlockt at .947 and 65 grains of R22, 140 accubond at .900
Casey

I am a huge fan of H4831sc. This powder has produced the best results for most of my family's and friends big game rifles. I would try a few different powder charges of this powder, I bet you will have good results.

What make/model is your rifle?

beavis.gif

I shoot 62gr IMR 4831 and 160 accus, and 63gr RL22 with 160 accus... CCI250 primers, winchester cases. Both produce roughly half inch groups in my bone stock SS Rem 700, the only thing I've done to it is tweak the trigger...

group.jpg

Bambistew, That's a group anyone could be happy with.

Casey, try H4831sc, H1000, Ramshot Hunter, Ramshot Magnum. I have some Hunter you can try.

RR

Bucksnort: the rifle is a remington 700 bdl, grey laminate stock, blued barrel.

Doug, i loaded a few of 4831sc the last time we went out: 58 with the 160 accubond produced 2.850, 60 produced 3.242. but now that i have floated the barrel and worked on the trigger, i need to reload them and see how they shoot now!
Casey

Casey;

Powders like H4831 & H4350 are old time proven powders for mag calibers, and are worth trying out with more loads. As for the R22, I have never used it, but have heard good reports on it's accuracy. Since you got two good groups with that powder and two different bullets, I would also include using it some more. If you are getting the velocity you are looking for with the accuracy under one inch, you may be getting to the load you are looking for in that rifle. Have fun at the range.

RELH

I have had great success with H4831, CCI 250's, Win Brass, and the following bullets:
Speer 145gr SP
Speer 145gr SPBT
Hornady 154gr SP
Sierra 160gr SPBT

I was able to abtain 1/2 MOA with all of these bullets in my Mauser Model 3000.

Good Luck.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-06 AT 07:27PM (MST)[p]Casey,

Have you tested bullet seating depth? Since you have a remington (the magazines are cut long)you can probably seat the bullets 10-15 thousanths from the lands and have your groups shrink considerably.

If it were my rifle I would try some different loads of H4831sc and bullet seating depths.

PS they make a tool to find your maximum overal case length,just remember it is bullet specific cause of the shape and position of the ogive sp? of different brands and weights of different bullets.

You can find the max OAL without the tool but it is much easier with it.

beavis.gif

i have not played with seating depth at all. only have made one raneg trip. i know how to tell the seting depth from the lands, but am not good at it. the way i usually load is get a lenght that works well in my rifle, and "looks about right" and go from there. if it doesnt work, then i change the depth. i played with several bullets before the last trip: 140 accubond, 139 interlock, 160 accubond, 120 tsx and 140 game king. i had good groups from the interlock, 140 accubond and decent from the TSX.
Casey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom