Best rings/bases

sremim

Very Active Member
I have a new Swaro scope I am mounting on a Win 70 270wsm. I have always used Weaver bases and rings on all my other mounts. But for this I want something better. What would be a good combo to mount this scope with?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-11 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-11 AT 12:34?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-11 AT 12:31?PM (MST)

You're shittin us right?

I like the DD's because they're are strong & Look Good!

There are Stronger on the market,IMO they don't look as good!

EDIT:You got Money for Swaro I sure the hell wouldn't be using Weavers!

Weavers are for Stock RUGER 10/22's!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

Weavers are very poor. I would put Warne which are solid steel compared to Weaver which are aluminum. Leopold are also steel rings. Both run about $52.00 for bases and rings. Shun the weavers...

Redfield always made great mounts, rings and bases, for the money. I think the Leupold are about the same. If shaving ounces there are other options.

I used to always go with the one piece base but the two piece is nice and i have been told, just as secure if done correctly. My 270WSM has the Leupold two piece base and rings... no concerns here.

Joey

>I am a fan of the
>new Game Reaper bases/rings. Machined
>out of a solid block
>and no need to lap
>the rings.

I just put one on a custom 10/17.....I know it is not a high powered rifle but that is a dang good mount...gives you one less point to come loose...I'm trying one on my next high power mount.
dnz-dednutz-game-reaper-picantinny-1in-black-mount-111pt.jpg

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Hey CUPSY?

Do they make them in SILVER?:D

Talley rings all the way. They are very solid and no need to lap then for fit.
Mike

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-11 AT 07:34PM (MST)[p]Some of the so-called advice posts I read on this forum just make me wanna spend my time reading national press news about Lindsay and Charlie and Lady Gaga instead of huntin'. Sheeesh.

The NUMBER ONE thing you want in scope rings and bases is RELIABILITY. Period. Aesthetics and pretty-boy stuff have no meaning when you are pulling down on a once in a lifetime critter. You want a STURDY system that has held up thru many shots and knocking around when you have that once-in-a-lifetime chance. Rings and bases plus the scope are THE most important parts of your shooting system. Given this, I offer the following for the average hunter, in no particular order:

1) Talley rings and bases - slotted bases, great machining and fit, GREAT product!

2) Leupold dual dovetails front and rear - no rear-base adjustment screws to get out of whack, mount per instructions for a forever fit!

3) Weaver Style - classic, old and ugly, slotted bases, lots of metal-to-metal contact to prevent slippage, bullet-proof, look like sh$t, tough as nails.

WM

Well WhiskyMan!

You forgot one important item!

Red LocTite ThreadLocker!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-11 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]I assume from the chambering/rifle and scope choice your not putting together a lightweight. If your rifle is a blue/walnut, a real classy look would be the "Conetrol's". There pricey, alot of guys use them on super fancy blued/wood guns. Mounting a 1K plus scope in some chicken azz $50 leupolds is retarded.

http://conetrol.com/

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

+ 1 on Conetrol rings and mounts. I have them on a pre 64 300 Win Mag and a custom Dakota 300 Win Mag. Can't go wrong. Just pricey.

I have a buddy that was on a high dollar ranch in northern New Mexico hunting muleys. He jumped a big ol buck that slowly moved across in front of him. He was an experienced hunter.......and shot several times at the close, slowly moving buck but seemed to miss every time. The buck got away unscathed. He couldn't figure out why.

He was upset. The buck was a monster nontypical with trash hanging down all over his huge, multi-point rack. It looked like velvet hanging.....but was actually hard bone.

Trying to figure out why.......he looked down at his high-dollar pretty-boy well-marketed bragged-about Conetrol mounts. The rear ring was broken.......and the scope was hanging loose.

Warne mounts and bases.

Everything else is for people who don't know any better.

Weaver rings and bases belong on Tasco and Simmons scopes on .22 rifles.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

+1 Nickman . These people haven't seen Warne have they? They are secure and will never fail if you set them on with Loctite.

Always thought the Warnes were similar to the Weavers?

Wow...Warne was designed by one of the origional owners of Kimber. Suprised people are'nt bitchin about em...complaining they cant shoot strait with them, etc.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Whiskeydouche,...Are "Warnes" on your approved list? I want to make sure before I'm out a bunch of money.

Warnes are so solid and not even remotely like a weaver. And for the people who say Leoplods are not good should go back to the store and look at em. They are welll built. It's just that with MM it doesn't matter what you say someone will be against or for it.
At the end of the day it's all what you want on your gun after looking at the line-up. But the thing is you get what you pay for.

Conetrols are outstanding, especially for a heavy recoiling rifle. I like the Leupold dovetails, Telley and Warne are good too, but I don't think anything is better than Conetrol bases and rings. There are NO projections on Conetrols, no external screws, very clean looking and super strong since the rings fit into the bases with a large post.

I have a Game Reaper question. Being a solid one piece ring and base set up, how do you make a windage adjustment if you need to? It seems to me they're assuming the receiver holes are lined up perfectly.

Eel

Eel!

Buy Quality Guns & Quality Scopes & You won't have a problem!

There's nothing You can adjust on DD's & I've never had an issue!

You could shim for elevation but don't use Black Tape Like I seen a TARD do once!:D

Well guys, thanks for all the responses, I appreciate them. I always used Weavers cause thats what I grew up with and they were cheap and easily available.

I think I'm going to try the Leupold DD rings and bases. I have a couple buddies that have them and they seem to like them quite a bit.

Thanks again!

This is the set up that I use. I know that I am a bit bias because I sell Vortex stuff, but I was WAY impressed with the whole set up. I shoot the Vortex Precision Rings with a EGW 20 MOA slant rail. They have regular rails as well, but I wanted to give the slant a shot... The whole set up has been very impressive. With three screws in each ring, I feel more secure shooting it. I have it mounted on a 300 RUM.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-precision-matched-rings-30mm-riflescope-medium-height

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_128&products_id=198

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

++++1 on the talley one piece bases and rings. You have a lot less room for error with one piece bases and rings.Don't matter if it's high dollar custom or a $600 prodution rifle, it will end up with talley mounts.Talley is all I use anymore.Excellent product!

>I have a Game Reaper question.
>Being a solid one piece
>ring and base set up,
>how do you make a
>windage adjustment if you need
>to? It seems to me
>they're assuming the receiver holes
>are lined up perfectly.
>
>Eel

Since I have started lapping rings Most of my scopes have needed very little windage adjustments. Most needed a little elevation to get where I wanted.

I've had the same Leupold bases on my Rem 700 30-06 for 30 years,never any problems and didn't change them when I rebuilt the rifle. Got a new MZ and put Nikon scope on it with Talley base. Both excellent.

Whiskeydouche,...Are "Warnes" on your approved list? I want to make sure before I'm out a bunch of money.

Hardway.....I have no experience with Warnes and don't know what they look like. They might indeed be another brand of good ones. Separate slotted bases for the rigs always add to stability. The Talleys are terrific and made for many rifles. If Talleys are not a lot more $$$$......I would go with them. Stability in mounts is soooooooooo important. Dunno what else I can tell you...........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom