Best sheep area?

O

Oregonbowhunter

I am wanting to start putting in for a sheep tag here in Oregon. I live in the West part of the state so scouting is difficult. I've been to the Steens many times and seen a few sheep but that is the limit to my experience. I would love to draw a Steens tag but so would everyone else. The odds are slim on all these tags but there are some better than others. I would like to concentrate on South Eastern Oregon to hunt Sheep. Does anyone have any advice on what areas hold the most sheep and higher concentration of larger rams?

Thanks

Best California sheep hunts are the John Day River and Deschutes River units by far.

Hurricane Divide is the Rocky hunt I want but I think my chances at winning the lottery then buying the govorners tag are better than drawing it.

There are 170 class sheep in almost every area. The top two (John Day & Deschutes) will come with a $1500 tresspass fee, or if capapable you can float the rivers. These hunts do have huge rams, but it would still take some scouting. In my opinion, your going to see this area start to decline because they are starting to get too many people in there to hunt them....the East John Day hunt has 6 hunters, the West has 4. The E. Deschutes has 4 and the West has 3...and then two more tags from the auction and raffle will certainly hunt here also.
Any of the hunts in the Whitehorse Unit, East Beatty's or South Central have good sheep numbers and big rams. The South Central hunt has populations of sheep on isolated peaks such as Diablo, Coglan, Winter Ridge, Tucker Hill, Sheep Rock and Alkali Buttes. They are really easy to find. The biologists for each area would be the best people to talk to.

i first started to apply for sheep in oregon when i was 16.... im 44 now , no tag yet , now i apply for 6 different states for sheep. i would like to see you draw , just dont get your hopes up too high, we can dream though. if you do draw i might have some info that i would pm you . an ex freind {not really ex freind, but i call him that} drew in 2005 after applying since the 60s. but then again you could draw the first year as you know. its fun to dream though.

Thanks guys, I'm 25 and I know that even though there are those lucky guys that draw the first year or so, it's more likely that I'll be waiting for most my life to get the tag. But you have to play to win right? I didn't want to put in for the Deschutes or John Day tags because of lack of access. I would rather hunt the large public tracts of land. But about the hunt... to me though it's not so much about how big of a sheep I take, it's about the terrain I hunt them in and the experience. I think the Steens would be a great hunt. I love the Steens mountains, it's one of my favorite places in this state, just wish there weren't 900 people applying for 2 tags. I guess the second season is only 420 for 2 tags. I thought about the mountains to the East and South too. The Sheepsheads, Trout Creeks, Pueblos, etc. I guess I will maybe draw out of a hat to see which one to put in for!LOL

What do you guys think about 2nd season hunts vs. 1st season hunts? I mean better odds of drawing 2nd season tags. Is there any downside to 2nd season hunts?

This year will be my 41st try for an Oregon bighorn tag so I don't want to hear any whining from you youngsters when you don't draw. Its about my turn to draw, don't ya think? ;-)
As far as the first/second hunt debate, here's my take on it. You can improve your odds (slightly) by applying for the later season. There's also the chance that the ram you scouted will be taken before you get to hunt him. Some of the really late hunts will have the biggest rams joining the ewes for the rut, and we all know how preoccupied males of most species get at that time. But weather can be a factor during those November hunts, climbing around on ice and snow covered rocks can get dangerous. I'm not helping much, am I? You can double or triple your chances by applying for a second season tag in some units, but your chance of failure in the draw is still going to be 99+% in most cases. Pick the hunt you want, you'll either get very lucky or you won't.
Call the ODFW and request they set up some senior-only hunts in more accessable (i.e. less rugged) sheep areas so when you get to be over 55 (like me) and you're still waiting for that golden tag, you might stand a better chance of drawing before you're too old and crippled up to hunt bighorns.

I think your best off applying in the area you want to hunt. Yes you will have better odds hunting the second hunt so put in for it. Don't get hung up on the monster rams. Be happy to hunt sheep in an area you want to hunt. It is tough enough to pull the tag. I hope you are a patient man.

To continue your fantasy (kidding)this year I would check with the bioligist in the area you want to pull the tag in. The south east portion of the state was hammered with snow. I was told a record book ram/cougar kill came off Hart Mnt. The cats are getting plenty of feed.

I was blessed to draw an Idaho Rocky tag in 2004. I put in where the odds were best, the terrain,genetics, and horn growth was the worst. I drew and had the hunt of a life time. On my own I killed my ram on my 21st day of hunting. JB

ok thanks ricochet. now im depressed . i thought i was about due . 41st year, you can have my oregon tag. ill keep my idaho tag im going to draw this year though ha ha

Last year there were no "huge" Californias killed, There were several 170-174 and none larger. Like someone else said the John Day or Deschutes are good, they winter at low elevation and grow horn all year, not like some of the other herds.
There are some good Rams on Catlow but it is not much of a hunt anymore. Alderich Mtn. has kicked out some 175-180+ rams in the last couple years.
South central or warner kick out decent rams each year (165-170).
For Rockies Wenaha would be the tag to have, 2nd would be Lookout Mtn. , Hurricane Divide has good rams but likely none over 180 at the present. I assisted two different hunters on the Hurricane hunt the last two seasons. Lots of goats though.
I have been applying for 20+ years with no luck. I have come to the conclusion that if you are lucky once you draw. Most of the units have decent rams that will look great on the wall. Some of the broomed "ugly rams" score better than the pretty ones with lamb tips.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-08 AT 07:11PM (MST)[p]My Wife took this ram in the Lower Owyhee unit it scored over 173. If you draw in this unit look me up.

Copy this in your browser to see her hunt.

nice ram, seems like only woman and children get drawn for them there sheep hunts.......

I partially agree with the other guys in the post about John Day and the Deschutes but I wouldn't count out the Warner Unit! I killed a 177 2/8 Ram out of there when I was twelve! The next couple of years they killed one bigger than that. My ram was heavily broomed off and has a chunk missing out of the top of his horn or the score would be higher. I was told at the time it was the second biggest cali bighorn ever recorded(1998) And I believe is still the biggest killed by a youth(if they fix it in the oregon record book..still trying to get it in the youth category) So there are still the genetics to produce monsters if you want to get away from trespass fees and hunt on your own. Only problem is if someone gets a big one before you the apps will skyrocket and you will have less of a chance. When I applied there were only 400 people applying and then I entered my story in Petersons Hunting and some news papers and the applicants doubled the next year so goodluck!

When will Oregon learn? I would rather let the ones who have put in their time for these tags get them. I have only been putting in for 24 years, and it would not bother me one bit if someone with more years drew before me. Instead there is many tags go to first time applicants and young hunters that will have the rest of their lives to apply for tags. For some they may only have another 10 years or so of hunting and they will never get the chance of drawing. I wish that they would either use points or make you pay for the tag up front (like they used to)too make the casual appliers disappear.

Aim small miss small!!!!!

I say make it $500 dollars non refundable to even put in for the tag, this will help sort out the guys that say "hey I think I will throw 4.50 out on a hope and prayer " and us few that say, "I want a tag "

I agree they need to come up with a better system to reward the hunters who have supported the sheep program from the start and have been applying since the first sheep draw in Oregon. I know my dad has been putting in since they first started and he has yet to draw. I started applying for sheep in 1980, when I was twelve, and I have yet to draw. I think the whole Oregon draw has become a joke with the 4.50 application fee. Many folks just apply for hunts on a whim without any knowledge of the area or what they are getting into. I agree with whtelk, they should either up the application fee or have a preference point system that is capped at a certain point, and only until you reach that certain point will you have a chance at drawing a tag. Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone should have a chance at drawing a tag, but preference should go to the one's who have applied for years. I truly believe that the system is going to get tougher and tougher to draw a tag, and money will always talk.

I started applying for Oregon Bighorns in 1973 right after high school graduation and have yet to draw a tag. The hardest part of hunting sheep if getting "the tag"!

There's good ram's to be found in all the units if you're willing to glass and not shoot the first thing you see.

I've been fortunate to go on several hunts with guys that drew tags, and I go photograph sheep when I get the chance. But I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever draw a coveted sheep tag.

ramingrass-1.jpg

Hey guys, this may tick a few off, but I got real lucky this year and drew the one non-resident tag for the W. John Day River. Beat 1:800 odds. I havn't been putting in for 40 years, but a solid 14.. Working on my judging. What do you think that ram in Treekillers post will score? I am figuring 173 ? 15 1/2" bases, then 15 1/2", 13 1/2", and 9". 33" long horns. What do the "experts out there think"? Gamekiller...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-08 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]Not all that big... sorry but just a little bummed and happy for you at the same time... Really good for the unit though.... where are you from Tad ?

Thanks Whtelk, I am from California. Been putting in for sheep in all western states for about 14 - 15 years depending on the state. Figured I have put in about 130 apps total for sheep!! To be honest, with the odds in the John Day and the % of tags in Oregon allocated to non-res, I really never thought I would draw this one. Some of the Nevada and Arizona units I put in for have had draw odds of less than 1:80 (plus I have tons of bonus points in these states) so I was betting on those states. I guess you just never know. I also drew my once in a lifetime Shiras moose tag for Utah this year with 13 points. Guess my lucky stars were just alligned right this year. Just curious but after looking at that sheep again, I think I overestimated the horn length a bit and probably the first two measurements by 1/2" or so, do you think mid to high 160's? Tad

>Thanks Whtelk, I am from California.
> Been putting in for
>sheep in all western states
>for about 14 - 15
>years depending on the state.
> Figured I have put
>in about 130 apps total
>for sheep!! To be
>honest, with the odds in
>the John Day and the
>% of tags in Oregon
>allocated to non-res, I really
>never thought I would draw
>this one. Some of
>the Nevada and Arizona units
>I put in for have
>had draw odds of less
>than 1:80 (plus I have
>tons of bonus points in
>these states) so I was
>betting on those states.
>I guess you just never
>know. I also drew my
>once in a lifetime Shiras
>moose tag for Utah this
>year with 13 points.
>Guess my lucky stars were
>just alligned right this year.
>Just curious but after looking
>at that sheep again, I
>think I overestimated the horn
>length a bit and probably
>the first two measurements by
>1/2" or so, do you
>think mid to high 160's?
> Tad

I think that ram is about 165 give or take. It's a California Bighorn BTW.

So, are you floating the river on your hunt or paying the trespass $$$$?

Thats a good question Treekiller, and I would have had a different answer for you not too long ago. I received some great info from some of the previous hunters including a father / son team from Oregon that drew a few years ago and floated (which reminds me I need to call them). Super nice guys. I was all fired up to float, had the contacts for the boat ready, the shuttle, the put in place, etc..., but... my hunting partner bowed out (can't get the time off work) and my wife had a tizzy fit when I said I wanted to yank our son out of school for 10 days to go with me (he also has a junior Kaibab deer hunt a week after I get back that we can't miss). Therefore I will most likely be solo. The solo bit doesn't bother me at all, but dealing with a raft, gear, etc.. solo AND trying to hunt did not sound too appealing for me (or my wife), so I am going the trespass route.

Back
Top Bottom