Best spotting scope for backpacking

Gazelle

Which scope do you guys reccomend for longrange backpacking. Considering weight, size, and quality. THX, Tony

Check out the new Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65. It doesn't come out until early summer, but from what I've heard, its gonna be a great one...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

I'm considering getting the ED 50 with the fixed 30x wide angle eye piece instead of the standard 13-30 eyepiece. Does anyone have any experience with this combination? I'm sure it will be sweet but my concern is filming through it and if it has a wide enough FOV to work with either a camcorder or point and shot.

Love my ED50. I had a miss-hap and sent it in. Got a letter back from Nikon saying for $10 and $12.50 shipping they would fix it. I told them to go ahead and when I got it back it was a brand new scope. Not fixed, but brand new. New serial number and everything. I know that Vortex may have a more forgiving warranty, but $30 for a new one round trip aint bad either. Nothing out there is that compact for that good of glass as far as I can tell.

I bet that 30x wide angle would be a little much. I am thinking about the 20x wide angle for the same reason. It would take me 5 minutes to find the deer on the hillside after I had located it with my binos. I have to zoom back to 13 then back in, but maybe it's just me.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]I have used a Brunton Eterna 50 ED 18x38 for about four years. It has performed exceptionally well in harsh weather conditions and the image is crisp with good color. They weigh a bit more than the Nikons at 24oz but have a bit more power. I picked them up at SCI show on the last day and dealer let them go for around $300.

Ed
www.huntpacks.com

If you go with the Nikon, buy the body only first. Then get the 13-40x eyepiece. I believe fellow MMer 'porterockwell' (spelling may be wrong) has a source for the body at under $400 bucks.

Serach in the archives regarding ED 50, the info is there. Very nice set-up in that combination.

I'm with scopeitout...the Leupold Gold Ring is a very nice lighweight scope. I have one for sale (15-30x50mm) in the classifieds. I've never used it on a backpacking hunt(have the smaller swaro for this), but think it would work just fine. The optics are very clear from edge to edge. I've used mine for sighting in the rifle at the gun range. I've decided to sell it because I rarely use it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom