BEST TIRE FOR A DURAMAX IS WHAT?

ELKLOVER

I'm due for new tires. Seems like everyone I talk to has their favorite tire. I just got 26,000 miles on the tires I have now. I pull horses rarely and off road hunting some. Like the looks of the more aggressive tire though. So what do you guys think I should consider? Thanks!

Shane,
Can't go wrong with Toyo, have used them on all our trucks with a 35,000-40,000 average.
Take care

What do you know about Nitto tires? Same company as Toyo I am told. That is kind of what I'm leaning towards so far. Thanks for the input Paul.

DURAMAX'S are Tire eatin SOB's!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

I did a lot of research before buying my last set. Ended up with the Hankook Dynapro RF10's. I'm running 35s and they look great. BFGs are decent too but I got the Hankooks cheaper and they look quite a bit better, IMO.

2nd BF AT's

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I've read a lot about the Hancooks lately. I might have to research them a little. They're a lot cheaper too. Does cheaper mean not as good? Seams like a silly question, but I believe you get what you pay for in a lot of cases.

Hankooks are fine tires. If you want the best, get yourself some Goodrich TA's (as mentioned above)...best tire made, if you care about PERFORMANCE

Who the hell cares how a tire 'looks'? Is THAT the point here? Vanity is a funny phenomenon ;)

No, looks is a plus, but not that important. I don't make a lot of money and 4 tires costs a lot! I'm more concerned with most miles possible.......and good performance.

I don't understand the Toyo love. They have serious warranty issues. I have friends in the tire industry and that's a tire brand none of them recommend.

TOYO can build a good Tire when they want to!

I seen a 1,000.00 set of TOYO's run less than 10,000 miles that were not abused & bald!

TOYO M-55s wear like iron
the best tire schwab sells
and pricy

BFG TA arent bad

if you have TPMS they will set your air pressure above
70 psi

and that will kill your wear,, drop back to 50 psi, 60 on the back tires if you are pulling heavy and your tires will last a lot longer you'll just have to hear the idiot warning that your pressure is too low every time you turn on your truck

Toyo M-55s, are what I get the most by far out of, and I abuse the heck out of them. I'll pull loads that I shouldn't,up and over mountain dirt roads and gravel roads regularly. Been lucky to get 10000 to 15000 miles out of most 10 ply tires I've used, but can get 35000 to 40000 out of M-55s.

I've run bfg at's, Rocky mountains and am currently on Hankooks and they all SUCK!! Make sure you get free replacement and buy from somewhere thats gonna prorate them in 20,000 when they are almost bald. I've just come to the conclusion that I buy a prorated set of tires for $400.00 every year before hunting season...

Don't have a Durapad but the tires I am running now are from AMERICA TIRES, INC. and have FREE rotation etc. They are a tire made by GOODYEAR FOR AMERICA TIRE and are called the PATHFINDER AT. Right now I have almost 40K on them and the tread left is about half of the original, so unless something goes wrong I hope to at least get 65-70K on these tires UNLESS I break down and buy a new truck. Oh yea, I drive a GMC...LOL

And Be_Bop will have a fit again....LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Kelly TSR tires have done me right 40000 + on them and still got good rubber on them. I pull trailers, drive off road and have no complaints.
Dodge 2500 diesel

I usually run BFG's on my diesel ford trucks. The all terrains on my wfes rig and mud terrians on my trucks. I spend more time off road then she does. But i could only get them in a D rating and I want a E rated tire for towing.
So I went with a Nitto mud terrian ,got 37,000 miles on my first set. They may be a little to off road for what you are looking for ? But when you get into mud and snow they work great.

So kilo?

You're not gonna get 97,000 miles out of these tires like you did the last set?:D

You know?

A KALI Mile must be alot shorter than a TARD Mile?

Your GM Trucks always gets more miles out of the Tires than anybody elses!

What's the Secret?

>Don't have a Durapad but the
>tires I am running now
>are from AMERICA TIRES, INC.
>and have FREE rotation etc.
> They are a tire
>made by GOODYEAR FOR AMERICA
>TIRE and are called the
>PATHFINDER AT. Right now
>I have almost 40K on
>them and the tread left
>is about half of the
>original, so unless something goes
>wrong I hope to at
>least get 65-70K on these
>tires UNLESS I break down
>and buy a new truck.
> Oh yea, I drive
>a GMC...LOL
>
>And Be_Bop will have a fit
>again....LOL
>
>Brian
>http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

You can read about this topic for days on dieselplace.com. Most of them like the Michelins for street tires, Hankooks 1st and BFG's 2nd for a/t's. The BFGs will perform fine, most people over there like the Hankooks better though because they are just as good, cost less, and have a more agressive look. In my size (315/75-16) the Hankooks are slightly taller than the BFGs of the same "size", which was a big plus for me. With a 6" lift the BFGs just looked a little wimpier. I did get over 40k on the BFGs though. I have also run the Pro Comp Xtreme A/T and have mixed feelings about those. They lasted forever (45k) but got pretty noisy and out of balance after 20k. If you want a great looking tire they are the ticket, I would be sure and take them to a shop that can shave them round after 20k though.

Coffinmaker, do you have the Terra Grappler or the Trail Grappler? How many miles on them so far?

Thanks for all the input everyone. As I figured there's a lot of good advice here, but I have no idea how to sift through all this and pick one. Everyone seems to have their favorite....although Toyo does keep popping up a lot. Thanks again.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-12 AT 10:57AM (MST)[p]Go hit tirerack.com and look up the reviews on some of these tires. The set of BG Goodrich's I had about 10 years ago sucked. They were useless in snow and mud. Look up BF Goodrich A/T's on Tirerack and the last three reviews from guys who bought them all say the same thing, they suck. Most of the the remaining reviews are mixed. Bottom line, you'll need to review for whatever your primary use will be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall, Big O Tires are made by Kelly Tire and Kelly is owned by Goodyear. They're all essentially Goodyear tires...

I run Nitto Dura Grapplers on my 2WD and Terra Grapplers on my wife's 4WD. We had such good success with hers, I switched to Nitto on mine. I live on a washboard dirt road and my back tires were wearing about twice as fast as my fronts. Only thing I can figure is with that big diesel up front and no weight in the back I must be slipping all the time on the dirt road. We both have 20,000 miles and are still going strong. Her Terra Grapplers show hardly any wear. Unless something drastic happens in the next 20,000 miles, I'll stick with Nitto.

I have Run cooper discooverys, BigO AT and currently have BFG ATs none have lasted near as long as I would have liked. I hope my BFG's will last until fall but they are looking pretty scary. Of these 3 the best was the coopers I got 42000 on them the worst was the Big O they got 20000ish And the BFG have not performed off road near as well as I wanted they just dont clean out well. So That is my 2 cents I guess I will be trying one of these other brands that these guys are talking about. Let me tell you 4 sets of tires in 5 years, that sucks!

I run Nitto Terra Grappler's on my Duramax, I am on my second set. Got 50,000 out of the first set, have 25,000 on the second set and going strong. Ran BFG A/T's before, but price was getting to rich for my blood. Rolled the dice on a suggestion from a co-worker to try they Nitto's, very happy, and won't go back. Just my 2 cents. Bought them at Discount, they match prices!

I haul horse's myself. I have the Cummins and have run Nitto's and the BF AT's. The BF's lasted a little longer but I would never run Nitto's again. After 28,000 miles on them they were shot. I now am on my second set of Hankook's I got 48,000 out of the last set and that's with a horse trailer on a lot. For the money and the were I think the Hankook's are the best tire for the money and do good in the snow and mud.

I run the BFG Mud terrain and really like them, I have had three sets in the last four years. I do it all from pulling horses to taking my truck places I shouldn't. They are a little noisy on the freeway but what off road tire isn't? It seems like I only get about 35K on them but hell I drive things like I stole them!
4623img_0917.jpg

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

im a tire guy outa colorado, we sell a ton of Yokohama Geolander AT/S, Cooper Discover AT3 are becoming very popular,the Toyo M55's do wear good but are flat out expensive, other tires are firestone Transforce AT, Bridgestone Blizzaks are great in winter, Michelin tires do alright but for the price your mainly paying for a name thats it. also if you buy tires from costco, walmart whole salers your getting a less quality tire than if you buy from TDS, GCR, Whites. Big o has their own brand so they can charge ya less but not as good of a tire

$MAVERICK$

I am currently running the Goodyear Duratracs on my hd2500. They are pretty aggressive for a non mud track, but they are REALLY quiet. So far I am very pleased. Keep in mind I run e rated and with 80lbs when towing they do ride a little rough, but last I checked I was driving a truck. If you need a soft ride, buy a Buick!!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

>I am currently running the Goodyear
>Duratracs on my hd2500.
>They are pretty aggressive for
>a non mud track, but
>they are REALLY quiet.
>So far I am very
>pleased. Keep in mind
>I run e rated and
>with 80lbs when towing they
>do ride a little rough,
>but last I checked I
>was driving a truck.
>If you need a soft
>ride, buy a Buick!!
>
>
I am looking at these for my next set. I always ran BF Goodrich AT's but switched to Nitto Terra Grapplers this last set. The Nittos wear faster than the BF's and dont perform as well in mud. I am a little dissapointed with them actually.

hossblur, I wanted to get the Goodyear Duratracks myself a couple of months ago. The local tirerack warehouse didn't have them in my size so I went with the kevlar wranglers. Such a mild winter I haven't really tested them on the hiway, in snow. I do know they gum up pretty easy in mud. But most years my winter driving is mostly in snow.

How are the Duratracs in mud?

Hankook Dynapro RF10's for me 285 70 17 load range E. So far, they have been the best AT tire I have ran. Previous tires where the BFG TAs, they were just ok. I wont go back to them.

Just put a set of Yokahama A/T on my wife's Duramax. Her third set. The only thing that I noticed right off, we lost 3 to 5 miles to gallon on fuel economy. I didn't realize that tires would affect milage so much.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-12 AT 11:46AM (MST)[p]Toyo M-55s may be more expensive but if I can get twice (or more)mileage out of them I'm still saving alot of money. They may not be as sexy as most tires out there, but I'm way past that now. When I used to guide alot of cow hunters, we would run our truck in the shop, let some air out of the tires an put our chains on then blow the tires back up to keep them tight so they wouldn't spin as much in the chains. Sometimes leave them on weeks at a time, M-55s lasted by far the longest out of the tires we used. Extra money well spent if you are looking for longevity!!

And very few flats as well, makes a lot of difference when you're in the middle of no where!

Cooper dicoverer AT-3. They have a great mileage warranty if they don't go the distance but they are lasting longer than anything else I've tried.

Let me change your mind for you. I am unimpressed with the GY Wranglers. We have run them on our service trucks F350's that are always overloaded and have only been able to get 29000 out of them. We have had bubbles form on the sidewalls numerous times and case seperation.
Prior we ran Toyo M55's and got 40000 - 42000 per set and were very dependable. Company required us to run GY or we would still be rocking the Toyo's. M55 are twice the price of the Silent Armour's, but when you break it down it only comes out to aprox 1 cent per mile difference.

I have had BFGs they suc. Toyos OK, Duratracs best of those three. Just installed 2nd set after 35K.

Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

Here's my .02 cents.....

On my F-250 Ford, I got 35,000 miles out of the initial set of BFG All-Terrains. Next set of tires were Toyo M-55's, they lasted 50,000 miles. The biggest difference between the two, however, was not so much in the miles difference, but how they performed in the mud and slick. BFG's maybe fine on the highway, but they really do suck off road compared to the M-55's.

>You can't go wrog with the
>KUMHO's... I love these
>tires.
>
>
>
>
128images.jpg

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>It was a big bodied 2
>point. (this is my signature)
>

+1.....i'm running this same tire on my Super Duty and love them! They are 37's on a 22" wheel......mean look mean performance!!
Not sure how many miles are on them exactly, but they are on their 5th year :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom