Best way to hunt elk

ELKOHUNTER

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 11:15AM (MST)[p]How do you hunt elk in the rut? What works the best if there not bugling?

Cover alot of ground till you find fresh sign.. and then slow down, move into the wind and you may smell them first before seeing them...

OR

Glass at first and last light, put them to bed or feed...and then plan a ambush.

Water Water Water!!

Elk need a ton of water daily.
Like nochawk said, cover ground, find an active herd then find their water source. Pattern them for a couple days if you can, find their weeknesses and make your kill.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Don't elk need to water about 2 times a day? I know deer can go a few days; but elk might be able to be patterned around water better.
Good post though, keep the tips coming.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 01:11PM (MST)[p] Yes BG, especially if the weather is hot and dry.

Water is definately an elk hunters best allie, and the elk's worst enemy.

Don't ever loverlook sitting at water in the middle of the day, it's amazing how active a good hole can be when noones around watching it.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

ElkOHunter
Animals are extremely cautious around water. So, I would try sitting on a trail leading to water as opposed just sitting on the bank of a pond.:)

>ElkOHunter
>Animals are extremely cautious around water.
>So, I would try sitting
>on a trail leading to
>water as opposed just sitting
>on the bank of a
>pond.:)

Sit in the pond ...

spot and stalk works biggest key in that is scent and sound control i like to cover lots of ground.cow calling if i happen to snap a twig or every certain distance depends how far i am walking but every time i accidentaly make a sound i cow call elk make noise when coming in. if you got that bull thinking your a hot and ready cow he aint going nowhere

My very favorite way to kill during the rut is to bust up a herd mid-day, find a little opening and cow call. When you walk into the herd, a couple of animals will see you and bolt. The others run because the first couple did but they don't know what the danger was. They begin coming back QUICK! The herd bull doesn't want to lose what he's worked so hard for. On a couple of occasions, I had cows mewing all around me and the herd bull back in less than 5 minutes. BUT how often can you walk into the middle of a herd mid-day???

Running to the down wind side of bugling bulls and cow calling is how I do it BUT don't miss out on the above opportunity if it presents itself.

Same question. Usually hunt MT and Southern Idaho. No luck in drawing MT this year, having to stay close to home, North Idaho. Too many wolves and the elk barely bugle any more!

Well first off coming from someone who knows nothing about elk id just stop my truck in the first likely canyon and start throwin lead ;-) my personal fav for huntin these durn things is glassin. now the terrain i hunt, im extremely familiar with so that helps. but if i find a herd or some elk that interest me i try and guess where they are gonna move to. usually its pretty obvious where they feed and water so set up there and wait. Guys most real monster bulls where i hunt dont bugle or even make a sound, they just go gulch to gulch, ridge to ridge ruttin what ever they want and the smaller ones dont say anythin and run for the closest hidin place when stud muffin pops his head over the hill. good luck and remember i know nothing about these animals ;-)

Bury me in the hills so i can fertilize the grass and grow bigger animals for the rest of ya

I like using using helicopters and either 50 cal's or grenades while they are bugling-------------or anytime.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-08 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]even if the bulls are not bugeling they will still come to cow calls they like to sneek in so make a setup and give it at least a half hour before you move if the elk are near the will come if you make the right cow sounds good luck.

Awlb i told ya i don know nothin i fer sure don know that between three boats up by the mouth of strawberry river we boated 162 fish last friday with this new berkely powerbait called garlic ;-) and i got a burger with your name on it if ya make it up that way anytime soon same with slam

Bury me in the hills so i can fertilize the grass and grow bigger animals for the rest of ya

Sounds like even I could catch something on that "sleezy cheez". You got it. I am headed your way next week right before the July 4th croud settles in for the weekend and the elk take a break for a couple of days. I will see you then. I will even get a hold of slam and see if we can time an outing.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

best way is at home. get them figured out before the season. name them, and keep tabs on the one you like all summer.
i didn't draw at home this year so i'm just deer huntin this year

Well lemme know slam has my number so if ya get it figured out just have him give me a ring and ill see if i can tag along wit ya if ya can handle havin a rookie in the truck ;-)

http:www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

First off, if you're hunting elk in "the rut" or during rutting time then they'll be bugling! It may be early or late in the day or both. Midday can be as chaotic at times as well, especially cloudy drizzly days. In heavier hunted areas closer to human activity look for the elk to turn nocturnal at times especially during full moon phases. Elk will become quite vocal at night, this gives away their position as well as their feeding, bedding, night time watering areas. If un-harassed at these times there's a good chance of their return. Many times just listening when dark is the key, much more so than calling at these times!

Never be a one dimensional hunter for best results. By being versatile you'll be able to handle just about any encounter that comes your way. Adapting to present encounters & situations is the key to yearly success instead of one bull every 5 years. This is especially true when hunting OTC public land hunts. The only bull you come across may be the one you have to take!
Be willing to glass a ton if the country allows it. Lots of States warrant this Spot & Stalk method of use. Others you can't see out anywhere so other avenues must be sought out. These areas can require calling! Then there's treestanding over water sources, wallows, escape routes, general trail use from bedding to feeding & vice versa, feeding areas themselves. At times being patient & putting in ones time will be enough, other times calling to create excitement is key.
Adjust your way of thinking to fit the time frame you're hunting. I assume you're referring to Sept. early Oct. with your question.

When hunting very thick country I personally rely on calling in every OTC unit I've ever hunted. I use sounds that require response from other elk, if I feel cow sounds are best, so be it, but that's rare for us. Bull sounds top the list for receiving location from other bulls. Selective sounds are key, this is no time for the yodeling type bugles, be realistic in your delivery & you'll see a huge difference in response. Always know what you are saying first, this way when response is received it's easier to evaluate what you just heard & now you can form a strategy to give yourself the best odds to take that bull or at least have a shot opportunity.

Even glassing & spot & stalk adventures will turn into calling situations as the encounter unfolds, in most cases a cow call will not get it done on the bull you're after, many times this bull will try to call you over & if this bull has cows & you don't show you'd better have an eye out for that Sentry cow because she'll flank you trying to find this stubborn cow & spot you & you'll be none the wiser! Off the herd goes & leaves you scratching your head as to what you did wrong, this happens every year leaving hunters wondering what happened!

I've found over the years when in tight to a herd & you can't get close enough stealthily to kill the bull & you're detected by a cow, spike, calf or several cows you'd better know how to turn it into a favorable encounter & still have an opportunity at the bull you want. From my experience a cow call here is worthless unless interested in shooting a cow! You must get the bull to react to this situation, the way this is done & is a high percentage opportunity in killing him is to "pose a threat" within his herd, this will get his full attention on the spot!
You must be close, if you can scatter the cows without him seeing you do it fast then scream a bugle where you are calling those cows to you, this is a selective sound, this is a slap in his face to come right under his nose & try to take his cows. You've questioned his manhood & his right to keep & breed those cows. Too, once he here's the commotion he knows why???? If he hangs-up even for a 2nd I hit him with hot & heavy distressed cow sounds with guttural growls & chuckling as if I'm trying to force this cow away with me. If 2 hunters I will retreat as if leaving thrashing on my way out leaving the shooter up front.
This has caused many a herd bulls their lives over the years for us. Aggressiveness kills elk, period!

As I mentioned above, be a versatile hunter, not all encounters require aggressive action, but be prepared mentally to do so when needed because it's needed more times than not during most OTC hunts. Never go against the wind either, you must have it in your favor 100% of the time regardless your type of scent control.
Be a complete elk hunter, it takes desire & is worth all your efforts, the rewards are endless! Good Luck!

ElkNut1

http:www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

Almost as long as it took to learn it!! (grin) You must know me some? I cannot type but instead peck at it with one finger, oh well, I do love talking elk, typing, not so much!! Hunting em better yet!!

Since I'm here I'd like to rephrase a comment about using a cow call in the situation where I recommended a bugle where you're calling this bulls cows away. I shouldn't have said "worthless" it's kinda harsh! I should've & meant that your odds aren't at their best in that situation.!

I've used cow sounds at that time as well over the years, now if a guy gets truly aggressive with it & paints a picture in the herd bulls mind that something is annoying or even trying to steal this cow it can get his attention, but I like letting him know what it is bothering them all. As I mentioned earlier this tactic has put a lot of horns on the wall & meat in the freezer!!

ElkNut1

I must say after reading elknut1s post "WOW" I have killed a few elk in my day and you put it to a "T" of how its done infact I might copy his comments so that I do not forget them... I find myself in much the same obstacles as he has played out in his post, But at times I give up and leave only to think latter what I should have done at the time it was a obstacle!!! and how I could have maybe made it work out in my favor....

Very Very Good post ElkNut1

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard UT

Nice post ElkNut1. For anybody that hunts elk during the rut I think you pretty much spelled it out for them, that's some experience talking and thus tremendous advice.

That advice is spot on, but I must add: it's easier said than done. Most guys will not get past that sentry cow, and if they do, they freeze up once they've scattered the herd.

Knowing when to be aggrssive and make a move, and when not to makes all of the difference. In most instances like this, you have to do something aggressive and that's where most hunters fail.

Excellent post.

Scent is another thing to consider in a little more detail. Wind direction should be obvious to everyone, but I am strongly against the urine "attracting" scents. Sure, you cover your noises or attract the animals with calls, but when it comes down to it, you want be very careful with giving away your exact location. I prefer cover scents like sage and pine, if any.

Lots of good advice.

But when the best way to kill the big uns is to go out at night with a spotlight, or ifn your rich rent a helicopter with a good piolet and shoot em from that.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-08 AT 03:41PM (MST)[p]Good advice on getting aggressive when things get crazy. I admit I failed here more times than not as I always tried to de-fuse the situation by stealth instead, and end up losing the herd. Many times I have screwed that up and will not on this situation in the future:
Plan A: If you see spooked or fast moving cows moving single file someplace just haul ass and take a chance getting broadside to any of them. even if the cow sees you the ones behind her will not know whats up and keep coming and the bull will also. too many times I have tried to "hide" instead.

Plan B:
One other thing I have found that works on locating is to do the opposite of other hunters do by working in the moon in the middle of the night and listen for the bugles that you will not hear in the day sometimes. I have worked within a few hundred yards from bulls and curled up under a tree and slept(tried at least) a few hours waiting for shooting light to come. The bulls usually do not move much until then.
Now if I can just get plan A and B to work together... and then a good arrow off... I should have had a few huge bulls down the last few years and fugged up on all of them one way or another. I seem to have great luck finding the big ones and fail at the rest. Hey, I am honest at least LOL

I would hire about 30-50 high schoolers, give them each a radio and send them off each ridge and they will most likely find you the biggest bull. You may want to throw them a hat or DVD to show your appreciation. Oh wait, somebody is already doing that, my bad!:eek:

I've been in both A & B situations.

I would have had a huge bull (with harem of approximately 50 cows) in the PLan A situation...if only I had noticed the dead pine branch blocking the bulls vitals. The color of which was almost a perfect match to that of the bull's hide. My arrow knocked the branch of and embedded the broadhead real solidly.

Plan B happened to me too. A herd walked between my truck and my camper on a full moon night...with the herd bull and at least 2 sattelites screamiing back and forth. I got up put my boots on and followed them around for a couple of hours. They seemed to settle down in a area so a went back to camp for another couple hours sleep and met back up with them first thing in the morning. I got one of the sattelites to come to my montana decoy first thing, and burried the arrow up to the fletching exactly where I wanted it at 30 yards. Unfortunatley, that is where his cooperation stopped. I watched him from 100 yards away for about 10 minutes before he slowly walked off. I gave him time and picked up his trail, but never found him. There were so many elk in the area I couldn't stay on his trail once he stopped bleeding. I looked for him for 3 days, and still get sick thinking about it.

The next time I had an opportunity like that, where the bull stood around after the 1st hit, I went for it and put 5 arrows in that poor thing. It helped that he was along a fence line and didn't want to jump it after he'd been hit the 1st time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom