Best Western Big Game State To Retire In???

Montana will soon be a draw only for everyone, the deer hunting is in shambles and the out of staters are out of control! More power to ya, you can come be miserable with the rest of us on the ridiculously overcrowded public lands it’s a lot of fun let me tell you what
I understand that Montana isn't what it used to be, no western state is. However I've lived my whole life in Oregon and I've hunted Montana several times in recent years. The sad truth is for DIY public land hunting you still have us beat by a log shot for opportunity and quality and fewer hunters. Not what it used to be but in my assessment still way better than OR. Makes since you have 25% of the population we do in a bigger state.

I understand that Montana isn't what it used to be, no western state is. However I've lived my whole life in Oregon and I've hunted Montana several times in recent years. The sad truth is for DIY public land hunting you still have us beat by a log shot for opportunity and quality and fewer hunters. Not what it used to be but in my assessment still way better than OR. Makes since you have 25% of the population we do in a bigger state.
The winter would be my only hesitation on retiring in MT. It’s way better than where I am in ND, but even WY and ID have way way better winters than MT. You can get away from it a bit in Missoula or Bozeman, atleast less wind, but if you’re moving there for hunting, you’re gonna wanna be on the eastern half anyhow and that’s where the winters suck.

The winter would be my only hesitation on retiring in MT. It’s way better than where I am in ND, but even WY and ID have way way better winters than MT. You can get away from it a bit in Missoula or Bozeman, atleast less wind, but if you’re moving there for hunting, you’re gonna wanna be on the eastern half anyhow and that’s where the winters suck.
Good advice but if I drive from Oregon to MT, ID, CO, WY I'm sure I can live with driving a few hours to get around Montana as long as I can get a tag unlike OR where tags are much harder to come by.

Good advice but if I drive from Oregon to MT, ID, CO, WY I'm sure I can live with driving a few hours to get around Montana as long as I can get a tag unlike OR where tags are much harder to come by.
Most of the good hunting in eastern MT is more then a “few hours” from the population centers in the only problem. My wife is from western WA and it’s a 16hr drive from our house in ND and 12 hrs of that drive is the damn state of MT 🤦🏻‍♂️

Most of the good hunting in eastern MT is more then a “few hours” from the population centers in the only problem. My wife is from western WA and it’s a 16hr drive from our house in ND and 12 hrs of that drive is the damn state of MT 🤦🏻‍♂️
Keep going. Don't stop in Montana. mtmuley

My house is only 15 min from the border so I sneak across a fair bit to bring an antelope or deer home and it makes it nice I can shoot 6 roosters a day that way. Much appreciated
I'm on the far Western border. No roosters. Shitty deer hunting. An elk or two around. Family has property on the Hi-Line so have antelope and birds covered. So, yeah. You got it good. mtmuley

I lived in NM twice. Once as a kid for a few years in the four corners area and once as an Adult in early 90's. Beautiful state but it's backwards in laws, politics and policies. It's just a weird place for some reason. Lots of corruption and Albq is a very violent city. Too bad because it would be a state I would consider.

Good hunting? That’s pretty funny! The hunting is so “good” you can’t shoot muley does on public land in regions 6 or 7 anymore, some of the region 4 districts in around the breaks went to draw only mule deer tags for everyone! This guy is about 20 years to late for the “good” hunting…

Good hunting? That’s pretty funny! The hunting is so “good” you can’t shoot muley does on public land in regions 6 or 7 anymore, some of the region 4 districts in around the breaks went to draw only mule deer tags for everyone! This guy is about 20 years to late for the “good” hunting…
There hasn't been a mule deer population in the states in 20 plus years that should have been harvesting does. Lots of places with amazing hunting were turned to chit by management that included doe overharvest alone.

Draw only for EVERYO
NE.....OH MY

My house is only 15 min from the border so I sneak across a fair bit to bring an antelope or deer home and it makes it nice I can shoot 6 roosters a day that way. Much appreciated
How true ! Montana is not my favorite hunting state either. Eastern Montana wind about as bad as Wyoming too. Ugh. 🥵🤬
Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado

I grew up in Oregon and have lived in many western states. Been in Montana for 20 years. The avg home price in Bozeman is 979,000 and the pretty places like kalispell and Missoula aren’t far behind. It’s far to eastern Montana about 5 hours for good bird hunting and fishing. Winters are brutal -50 and even colder in eastern Montana -60 + Yeah you can hunt every year with a tag but seasons are sept to thanksgiving November general. So piss poor managed it’s not even funny. I’m moving in June with a Johnny cash middle finger to Montana. Oh yeah taxes are sky rocketing in Montana on property with no control. Summers are nice but busy and quick last summer was only about one month rained June and August and that was after a brutal winter before.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom