BH 209 & No Excuse load advice

pls009

I've been shooting No Excuse 460's with 100 grains of BH 209 with really good groups. I had been warned that the compression fit might be too loose but haven't had any problems - I'm now wondering about velocity - should I be satisfied with this load since it is shooting straight? When I look at the BH website and review the velocity of biggest bullet in this size range it show's the PB 444 with a velocity of 1,597 with a 100 grain charge and the Hornady 385 Great plains at 1,576. It say's that it isn't recommended to use more than 100 grains with the Power Belt 444, so I haven't tried more than 100 grains with the No Excuses. Probably just looking for someone to say this is plenty of velocity to drop an elk.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-09 AT 06:16PM (MST)[p]You are definately shooting an elk bustin load!

My elk load is 90 gr of BH 209 with a 350 gr Hornady FPB bullet and you are shooting over 100 gr more lead! Don't worry about the velocity, you are more than adequate in power.

Don't buy into the "magnum" hype. 100 gr of blackpowder is plenty of power for any elk walking (and you are shooting the equivalent of about 115-120 gr of blackpowder with blackhorn)

Put that load into an elk and watch him fall!

That said, I would check the bullet each day to be sure it is firmly seated on the powder.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

When hiking, or have been riding around I always check the seating of the bullet regularly, or before shooting at an animal if time permits.

>I've been shooting No Excuse 460's
>with 100 grains of BH
>209 with really good groups.
> I had been warned
>that the compression fit might
>be too loose but haven't
>had any problems - I'm
>now wondering about velocity -
>should I be satisfied with
>this load since it is
>shooting straight? When I
>look at the BH website
>and review the velocity of
>biggest bullet in this size
>range it show's the PB
>444 with a velocity of
>1,597 with a 100 grain
>charge and the Hornady 385
>Great plains at 1,576.
>It say's that it isn't
>recommended to use more than
>100 grains with the Power
>Belt 444, so I haven't
>tried more than 100 grains
>with the No Excuses.
>Probably just looking for someone
>to say this is plenty
>of velocity to drop an
>elk.

If that's working for you, I'd say your done. That IS a "magnum" load already. 100gr of BH209 under a 460NE is a serious Elk/Moose load. Personally, I had problems with the 460NE sealing with BH209 and I wound up spitting bullets about 2 feet! I found Fed 209A primers and a good felt wad solved my problem. Your barrel is probably a little tighter than mine, so you can get away with it. I've used a 1/2" square piece of newspaper wrapped (partly) around the slug to keep it tight in the barrel. Seems to work very well and has only a slight impact on accuracy with my guns. I have decided to use 90 grains of Pyrodex P behind the 460NE slug for my season this year. It delivers about 1250fps, which is still plenty for this size slug under 100yds.

Thanks for the feedback guy's! I don't think that I've had any sealing issues with the 460NE but I definately had a problem with the T/C Maxiballs - I had some that barely flew out of the gun. I'm assuming that the NE's must be a little bigger diameter than the Maxi's. I'm a little concerned how easy the 460 NE's go down the barrell and am going to try to remember to check the bullet seating when walking in the field every now and then. I'm tempted to buy some felt wad's just to see how they affect accuracy - might be good insurance to ensure a tight fit. Anybody know the diameter of a 50 cal Maxi Ball? I don't have anymore to measure. My box of 460 NE's say's the diameter is .503.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom