BH209 powder?

Bruinbrewin

I shoot an Omega 50 cal with 100gr triple 7 and a 50 cal Encore as well, both hold pretty good 100 yd groups approx 3 inches open sights with 245 powerbelts. Dropped my buck @ 115 yds 1 shot in the heart and have not hunted elk yet but have some 345 gr powerbelts for that day. I just picked up a Renegade and am also looking at picking up a TC Hawken.

I read a lot of good things about the BH209 powder, and am thinking about changing to that powder. It appears that it will probably work in the Omega and Encore but, will that powder work in a cap rifle or only inlines? I also picked up a couple packs of the Hornady 300 FPB's for the hammer guns. Am I on the right track or can I use the powerbelts in the hammer guns as well? How about maxi ball or maxi hunter in any of these 4 rifles?
BB

BH209 will not ignite with a #11 cap nor a musket cap.

The hawken and renegade will shoot powerbelts real well, i personally would try the heavier 295gr powerbelts in those guns. Th 245s i just havent had any luck with in the sidelocks for some darn reason. BUT you never know unless you try. Maxiballs will do well in the renegade and hawken as well.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

LAST EDITED ON May-26-12 AT 08:00AM (MST)[p]
As atated, only the inlines will allow use of BH 209, but you will love it in those guns!

I shoot FPBs in all my guns (inlines and sidelocks). Yes, powerbelts will shoot well in all those rifles as well, but an FPB will outperform a powerbelt of the same weight in terminal performance. It is made of a lead alloy instead of just pure soft lead and will hold together better if it encounters bone, etc.

I have used Maxiballs with good success. Never used maxihunters as they are pure lead whereas maxihuntes are a lead alloy and I have only used them on elk and wanted a toughger bullet. IMO, if you want a pure lead bullet for elk, start at 350 gr or bigger. With powerbelt, I used a 405 gr powerbelt and a 370 maxiball

Toughest bullet out there today, hands down, is the Thor bullet. My next choice for an accurate, tough bullet is the FPB. Have killed two elk with the 350 gr FPB

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I just picked up the Hawken a few days ago and now I don't want to even shoot it. ;-) I picked up a Thompson Hawken Cougar NIB and it looks too pretty to take into the woods. I ordered a stainless 21" GM barrel for it so it will be a nice carbine model and I can shave a few pounds with the shorter barrel. No muzzy tags for me this year so I won't get to try it on an animal but I did get a couple archery tags. I sure want to try it out on the range and figure out the proper load. Would you shoot it or keep it new in the box as an investment? I have never been good about keeping anything in the box, I don't know how this person was able to do so!
Is there any significant loss in trajectory going from 245 & 295 that I use now to 350ish projectiles? I imagine stay in the 90-100 grains of triple 7 and play with it until I get my best group.
I think I may try the BH209 to see how it does in the inlines but that may get too confusing having different powders. Do I use the same amount of BH209 as I was using with 777?
Thanks again for all of your input, I really appreciate it.
THX
BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom