"Big Bulls in Colorado"

H

hornaddiction

I always hear that Colorado has the largest elk herd in the world but no bulls over 300 in OTC areas. And everyone is trying to draw unit 61 or unit 76!

But in the last five years I personally know of many bulls killed that were 300+ and I have seen many bulls that are 300+ bulls.

In 2002 I shot a bull that green scored 301 and my friend shot a bull five years ago that netted 327 (its hanging in our local walmart).

A hunter from Arizona shot a bull that green scored 343 during muzzy season last year.

When we were scouting for bow season last year we saw 3 bulls that would go 300+. My friend missed a nice 6x6 that would of gone 300+ but it was his first time elk hunting so he was still happy as he could be!

Also my friend that passed away shot a bull about 6 years ago that green scored 307 and netted 297 1/8

So "YES" 300+ bulls do live in Colorado you just have to be willing to go deep in the woods away from people and find them and be willing not to shot the first legal bull that you see. Also if you stay close to the roads or camp you will continue to believe that bigger bulls dont live in Colorado.

oh yeah one more thing, I live and do all my hunting in a OTC unit(s) for elk so I know that you can kill a 300+ bull in Colorado without having to worry about preference points and for "DAMN" sure I know that you can kill a 300+ bull in Colorado without needing an outfitter.

horn

Ssssh Dont say things like that... I'd say all the Utards would be running over the border, but I fogot they only shoot 400 inchers and nothing less! LOL

Thanks for the update-
we all needed to read this!!

A bad day huinting-Ain't life grand
You only go thru life once- so get it right!!
1tonRam.jpg

hornaddiction,
NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
You Da Man.
I've seen huge bulls in every peice of wilderness (public) land.
The trick is to think like the elk.
smell like the elk,
Walk and talk and hide like the elk,
and you'll see elk to.

I would still rather wait 30 years and shoot a stud of a bull in Utah. Although I think Utah should have a few more any bull units.

Dang hornaddiction! Now I just gotta get a little piece of heaven (property) up in your neck of the woods! Maybe this trip will be my lucky one.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My group has been chasing a 300+ bull for 3 years now. And for the record, he is way on the + side of 300.

Have a great hunting season. Darran

I wish i could believe you that there are 300+ bulls in colorado, but it just aint true. The last 300+ bull in colorado was shot somewhere around 1973, by a woman from denver. At least i think it was a woman, im sure about the rest though. You can dream all you want byt 300+ bulls aint coming back to CO unless they are reintroduced from wyoming or montana.

FYI, These bulls your seeing that you think are so big just look that way because of the size of their small bodies.

See below for a picture of 300+ colorado bull :)

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/img/179971.jpg[image]

Well if you get away from the roads you will find bigger animals, everyone knows that. As far as the Utards comment you can you know what!! Very inteligent comment bambistew. Someone is always trying to stir up #####.

mouse.gif

Forget the pref point and go otc and
find your 300 bull? Anything is possible
anywhere. I like the odds in a draw unit.
I am in unit 76 and if you are comparing
that unit to a otc you better come with
me one day. I see 300 bulls everyday in
that unit. Average 50-200 bulls per day everyday.
Now take me to your otc hidey hole and
show me what? Stay in the otc and leave me
in that draw unit.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-04 AT 05:56PM (MST)[p]

Yes, but how many times have you gotten to hunt 76 and when do you predict the next time will be? Took 5 points for residents last fall and will continue to increase (more for nonresidents). I bet that it will take at least 7-10 years for a resident with 0 points today to draw. Do you only hunt elk every 5+ years? If I don't actually hunt elk every 1-2 years I go into severe withdrawal, ask my wife!

I will admit though that it must be nice to live in an area with that kind of quality. Just scouting and "hunting" them with a camera is great fun too!

Hornaddiction: did your email change? I tried to send you one and it was returned.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

RockyDog- Have you been living under a rock since 1973? No 300 plus bulls since 1973? I guess the ones that me and my buddies, Cowkiller and Deerking have killed are just figments of our imagination.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-04 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]I do, but when a post isn't just littered with sarcasm, I'm lost.
:p

RockyDog,

You either need to get some glasses!

or

Put your money where your mouth is a come on down and I will teach you how to find a 300+ bull in Colorado!

Horn

I agree it will take 7-10 points
next draw(I just hunted 76 last fall).
Thats why we the sportmen of Colo are
addressing the draw situation right
now to get a reign on the points situation.
e mail at [email protected]

I think figment of my imagination (6th bull over 300, all 0-1 point areas) is hittin' the dirt in September. Elk hunting in Colorado sucks :)

Hey RockyDog... I'd take hornaddiction up on that offer. You need all the help you can get... maybe he could give you some tips that would help in MT too!

Hey Bambistew....All I have to do to teach RockyDog to find a 300+ bull in Colorado is to walk him in my local WalMart. There is a bull there that my friend killed 5 years ago off the main road in a OTC unit that scored 327. I can introduce him to the guy that killed it and to the taxidermist that mounted it and to the local game wardens that check it the day it was killed.

But my offer still stands if RockyDog wants to put some money on it I will take him hunting in a general area and show him more than one 300 bull alive this year or any year. Thats if he can handle it because I hunt where most people are afraid to!

Anyone who thinks a 300+ bull hasnt been killed in Colorado since 1973 should quit road hunting and stay at home!!

horn

I don't know, RockyDog is pretty good hunter, he always manages to get at least a spike or a cow every year... ;) He'd probably pass out if he saw a 300" bull... I think he uses an ATV to boot!

I am sure RockyDog is a good hunter and a good guy. I just get tired of hearing all the trash talk about Colorados bulls.

The fact of the matter is if you work you butt off you can find a good bull in Colorado without high preference points and without outfitters. It just takes hard work and patience!

I would love to shoot a monster bull just like everyone else but more importantly I enjoy just being able to hunt every year with my good friends. Even if it is in a general area that means more to me than waiting years to draw a trophy unit. If more people felt this way then hunting wouldnt of become such a rich mans sport.

horn

Not only are all the bulls in colorado smaller than 300, but i heard all the guys dress like loyd from Dumb and Dumber while they are in the hills. I cant really consider taking the offer for a colorado hunt because i cant afford to meet the dress code. Although if i did go id probably kill the biggest bull you guys younger than 50 ever seen, a 299 BC+C whopper. Unless your also offering to dress me up like Fabio and we can use Aspen as ou base camp? Then i might reconsider.

Bambistew has me pegged, i hunt off an ATV and shoot cows every year. But i always gun for the lead cow cuz they are the wiley ones. A lead cow is much harder to outsmart than a 350 bull. I could shoot gobs of 350 bulls off my ATV, but there is more sport in hunting the lead cow.

:) :) :) :)
Ive never hunted in colorado guys, just trying to crack a smile.

In case any of you are wondering, BC&C is an alternative scoring system for Colorado. Boone and Crockette of Colorado.
THis scoring system has a handicap of 50 inch-points to make those dudes who just spent $6k on an outfitted hunt feel like they got a mature herd bull. :)))

hornaddiction.
ABSOLUTELY.
What your hearing is either want to be hunters, or piss pour hunters,
or lazy dollar stupid hunters that can't do anything for them selves .
I could fit the last catagory, but i choose not.
but if they want to go to other states to hunt "GREAT"
so without a nother coment, absolutely.

dumb23.jpg

No need for a dress code just grab your good buddy and bust after em on your ATV... I'm sure you'll find one on the road. :)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-04 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]RockyDog,
YOU FUNNY.
does you wear pink while out on your atv,
thinking its orange? i think i saw you.
you was squating over some cow you had down, not going to say another word about what you were doing down at the busness end of her,
its your story form here out.
i agree the herd cow is the smartest of the bunch.
and there is not a better way to run a heard out of the county.
shoot that lead cow and kiss the rest of your herd goodby.

I killed a nice 6 point bull in a over the counter area two years ago that scored over 280 and killed a 310 bull last year
in one of your limited areas....lots and lots of elk you just need to weed thru them to find the big one....just don't shoot the first legal bull you see and then complain about not seeing
anything bigger

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-04 AT 10:49AM (MST)[p]In the last 2 years I have seen locally over 6 bulls that measured 320 or better. I wish I had pictures of them, actually I can get pictures of 2 or 3 of them then I will post. 2 of them were around 345-360, another was right at 350 gross all taken off the San Juan Wilderness north of Durango-which reminds me, heres a pic of 3 more bulls taken off Missionary Ridge unit 75 last year, I don't know the scores on these but as you can see they are no doubt 300+ bulls. So yes the 300 bulls do exist here in Colorado. By the way these were all taken in OTC areas, no draw or points needed!

out031031_2.jpg

We are looking at coming to Colorado in the fall of 2005 for a self guided elk hunt. Looking for any help that we can get in selecting a location. We are not after the trophy bull, but just want a good chance at filling a tag. We will be using the over the counter permits. We are willing to go that extra mile to get back to where others won't.

Thanks in advance for any help you feel you can offer us. In turn if we can help you in any way in planning a trip our way, Nebraska let me know.

[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom